Looking for help. Don't know where to start.

Options
I don't know where to start. I don't know what diet to look into. What possibilities for exercise I have. How to not give into to cravings. And as embarrassing as it is, I try to read about diets and what's best for hypothyroid but I get confused and don't really understand a whole lot of it.

Just needing some answers, and if anyone can give me any help or advise it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Talk to your endocrinologist. Mine said I didn't have to avoid any foods or add any new ones. So I set a reasonable deficit (for me, .5 lb. per week), and ate 80% "healthy." I use MFP's protein & fiber goals as minimums, and ignore fat & carbs.

You lose weight by eating at a deficit. Period. Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • kekkalynne
    Options
    Thank you. (:
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I forgot to say that I lost way more slowly than most MFPers, so please be patient!

My endo told me that since I take Synthroid I can lose just like everybody else. He was wrong. But hopefully a slow & steady loss will be easier to maintain.
  • myfairylight
    myfairylight Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I also have hashimoto type of hypothyroid since 2005. my endo told me that it is not necessary to avoid any food unless I eat them in excess amounts. Grapefruit, kale, broccoli etc. is said to be avoided but my endo gave me such an example :one glass of grapefruit juice, it is ok, but if you want 5 glasses of grapefruit juice for breakfast; that's the point you should avoid. I hope you get the point here :)

I am also a kind of beginner in weight loss journey, just started a month ago. your ticker says you will have a long journey, like me :)

I was not an exercise person in the beginning and in the past years I had some yo-yo periods, 10 pounds lost and back. the mistake I did was, I pout myself on huge calorie restriction and heavy exercise programs, which my body can not bear. this time I made more research and I started SLOWLY. I think that's the key point. I am not putting myself under any kind of excess stress originating from food restriction and hard exercise routine.

What I can recommend you from my own experience:

1- Eat whatever you want but try to pick healthy ones and keep them in moderate amounts. Here MFP will help you track calories and macros.
    2- Get a kitchen scale and weigh everything you eat.
    3- Try to eat three main meals and 2 snacks
    (that's what my endo says, to keep the metabolism up)
    4- Drink plenty of water.
    5- Pick an exercise program that you can endure and slowly increase your fitness level, do not exhaust yourself in the very beginning.
    (I have started with leslie sansone walk at home dvd's, I did those for 5-6 times/week for three weeks , and this week I have completed the modifier version of Focus25 Alpha week 1 and Hip Hop Abs week 1)
    6- If possible get an HRM to see how many calories you burn during exercise.
    (as hypo, I use an HRM but the results; I take them with a pinch of salt)

Doing all those I have listed above I lost 2.3 kg (5 pounds) in four weeks. Hypothyroidism makes things slow but not impossible.

The last thing I can say is, stay positive and belive in yourself.