High Cholesterol

Options
impylaurie2
impylaurie2 Posts: 21 Member
I have high cholesterol and am going to drastically change my diet so I do not have to take Lipotor. Does anyone have any feedback on this subject.

Replies

• Gemini61454
    Gemini61454 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    It may or may not help, depending on your genes. I eliminated most red meat and eggs thinking I was going to dodge the bullet. When my test was read my cholesterol was over 200! I took supplements including fish oil, etc. to no avail. My doctor said statins were needed after I had the in depth cholesterol check to see if my bad cholesterol was the "good" kind or the "bad kind". My good cholesterol was 90 (they want it 46). That number pushed my overall to 245. I've been on statins now for two years and I am still kicking and screaming, trying to get off them.

My Dad had triple by-pass surgery at the age of 80 and died at age 93. My brother died of a heart attack when he was 58. I'm 59. My older brother is now faced with the decision and is also kicking and fighting.

What do you do? Follow your heart :) and listen to your Doc, but realize that genes do matter, but so does your diet, if not to stay off statins, to improve the rest of your life too.

Good luck to you whatever direction you go.
  • bm1409
    bm1409 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    When I found out my cholesterol was high, my doctor gave me 3 months to lower it. I cut way back on the red meat and dairy. I thought I was going to rock my next cholesterol test only to find out it was higher ???? I asked for another 3 months and did some research. I found out sugar and simple carbs can increase cholesterol. It made sense to me because although I thought I was eating better, I was eating a lot of pasta, bread, rice, etc. I cut back on simple carbs and sugar and added more vegetables, fish, beans, etc. and my cholesterol went down. Make sure you eat lots of soluble fiber, like barley, oat bran, etc. Soluble fiber actually helps your body get rid of cholesterol.
  • impylaurie2
    impylaurie2 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I work in a dental office and a new patient who is a medical doctor I told him about the cholesterol problem. He said that statins do not work well on women and I googled it and I read a lot of interesting things. I think the drug companies push to make money.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Dr Joel Fuhrman will tell you to eat the GBOMBS diet-bitter greens (collard, kale, turnip green, watercress), beans, onions, mushrooms beans, berries and seeds to nourish youself so your toxic hunger goes away. It took me 17 days for that to happen and I was eating perfectly. I didn't have to finish my small burger or vegetable soup and put them back in the fridge. And yes I had a small burger with mayo and blue cheese on it every night. Look at his website.