Tips and Tricks

Options
2»

Replies

• DreamOn145
    DreamOn145 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I have not been on in several days because I had an exacerbation of my carpal tunnel and when that happens I stay OFF the computer for a while. Since then a LOT of helpful hints popped up and I wanted to add my two cents to a couple.

I also have a fitbit. A friend talked me into it and in the beginning I thought it was silly but its great! The reason that its so helpful for me is that you look at that total at the end of the day and it starts to change your way of thinking. I average about 6000 steps right now and I find myself parking at the outside edge of the parking lot at the grocery store. I take a couple of extra laps around the mall just to window show. If its a nice evening I go out and take a few laps around my yard. You think differently when you have a little device that is counting each of those steps and its great that it connects to myfitnesspal!!

Someone mentioned mashed potatoes. Remember when the RAGE was low carb diets? And now I think most of us just try to avoid the "whites" Well, during that time I tried those cauliflower mashed potatoes that so many people were raving about and I'm sorry, but no matter how I cooked them, they did NOT taste like mashed potoatoes! But recently someone told me to boil together 1/2 potatoes and 1/2 cauliflower and then prepare then like mashed potatoes and guess what? It works!! You can actually get the taste with less guilt!! ( just don't say to yourself you can eat twice as much! lol)

I also love both dark chocolate and red wine!!! (an yes they do go wonderfully together! lol) I buy only my absolute favorite dark chocolate (for me its endangered species dark chocolate bars with expresso bean bits) and one of my allowable desserts is one ounce with a glass of red wine. It took me a while but I found some little wine glasses that hold just five ounces! Having a glass that you cannot overfill works for me for some reason!!
  • CrisEBTrue
    CrisEBTrue Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    One of my friends bought a fitbit, and she loves it.

I have looked at them, but haven't yet purchased one.

I can see how it would be motivational to track your steps.
    But.

I am a weird personality, and when I feel like something or someone is "nagging" me, I get angry and rebel.
    I can't explain it. Sometimes the kinds of things that motivate other people just make me want to go
    buy a loaf of crunchy bread, a slab of butter and sit in a corner, stuffing my face it until it's all gone.

:embarassed:

:::Looks around for the men in the white coats::::
  • Tami_Z
    Tami_Z Posts: 1
    Options
    I am also new this is my first post. I learned yesterday and today plan your food before you eat it. I went over in my calories both days. Not far over but still had I checked before I ate it a little modification would have kept me within range. I love all the good tips and I want to check into the fit bit. How much do they cost and where can you find them?
  • DreamOn145
    DreamOn145 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Welcome. This is a great group! I got my fitbit on Amazon.com and I am not going to look back right now, but I think it was about $90
  • Rebamae
    Rebamae Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Hi! I know my picture says I joined in 2012, but have not been on MFP for a very long time. I am beginning again today! Thanks for all of the tips - they are very helpful. I have a very wide band of rebellion down my back so, consequently, I wake up one morning and decided I just don't want to do "it" any more. The "it" can be exercise, dieting, journaling or whatever. This has been a major problem for me. I am hoping I can stay with it this time.
  • CrisEBTrue
    CrisEBTrue Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Welcome back!

I'm a returning back-slider too. I think I'd originally joined in 2011. As I recall, this site wasn't as user-friendly back then.. there was no group for people our age. Too bad I didn't stick with it, I would be... MUCH slimmer now.

Oh well, here's to starting over!!!

If you need a friend.. feel free to add me! :drinker: