Muscles, Brain and other body functions in Ketosis.

Options
Ever wondered how your brain functions without the glycogen/glucose? What happens to the muscles in Ketosis. This is one of the widely referenced paper in scientific community on Ketosis. It can be little technical but explains what happens to different parts of the body when it uses Ketones as fuel. The subject went to ketosis by starvation in this study, which is not recommended but if you are already in nutritional ketosis, this should still apply.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2194504/pdf/tacca00002-0213.pdf

Replies

• ejdp254
    ejdp254 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Thanks...will read this later.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Read it. Very interesting. I wonder why there's a protective effect for Parkinson's and Alzheimer's. I already knew the benefits for epilepsy. A good friend's son is on the autism spectrum and he also has drop seizures. A modified Atkins diet cut his seizures by a third. He went from having seizures in the double digits to a handful each day.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen credible research yet on Alzheimers but ketones are the preferred fuel for brain contrary to the popular belief that glucose is needed to fuel the brain. There is a stream of thought that its super fuel for Brain and even heart.
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I have trigeminal neuralgia and when I'm in ketosis, or even when I have only a few good carbs, I feel more normal (less pain) than when I am not. I stumbled on the correlation by accident, researched it and thought "well, if anti-seizure meds work for TN, it would make sense than a ketogenic diet would work too."

When I was thinking about trying this, I went and researched as much as I could in the juried nutrition journals. I couldn't find any evidence that eating a keto diet was any more or less harmful than a regular diet. I found a few articles that suggested a higher incidence of minor issues and a few articles that suggest possible incidences of good effects in keto diets vs. non-keto diets; on the balance, keto didn't seem better or worse from a nutritional standpoint than eating normally.

I will admit, I go off course occasionally - mostly when cake, cupcakes, buttermilk drop donuts (from Tastee in Metarie), or WW cinnamon rolls (from an amazing place just down the road) are offered, or I have a hankering for catfish at our favorite catfish joint. But thus far, it's been a good plan and it works for me.

This isn't weight loss for me, this is just a means to live normally!
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    I have trigeminal neuralgia and when I'm in ketosis, or even when I have only a few good carbs, I feel more normal (less pain) than when I am not. I stumbled on the correlation by accident, researched it and thought "well, if anti-seizure meds work for TN, it would make sense than a ketogenic diet would work too."

When I was thinking about trying this, I went and researched as much as I could in the juried nutrition journals. I couldn't find any evidence that eating a keto diet was any more or less harmful than a regular diet. I found a few articles that suggested a higher incidence of minor issues and a few articles that suggest possible incidences of good effects in keto diets vs. non-keto diets; on the balance, keto didn't seem better or worse from a nutritional standpoint than eating normally.

I will admit, I go off course occasionally - mostly when cake, cupcakes, buttermilk drop donuts (from Tastee in Metarie), or WW cinnamon rolls (from an amazing place just down the road) are offered, or I have a hankering for catfish at our favorite catfish joint. But thus far, it's been a good plan and it works for me.

This isn't weight loss for me, this is just a means to live normally!

Wow great story! Glad you found something which helps with your condition. Congrats.
  • Loseintime
    Options
    It was really informative, thanks!