what program do you use?

Options
jlclabo
jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
this is a linear progression program created by Jonnie Candito. im loving this program. working harder than any other program i have used. if you have never heard of Jonnie, then check him out at www.canditotraininghq.com also same on youtube. tons of great information plus he is a beast of a young powerlifter.
i will also note, he has 3 different variations of this program. i and doing the strength/hypertrophy. there is also strength/control, and strength/power. they alter the routine a little but the bases are the same.

Saturday: heavy squats 3x6/heavy deadlifts 2x6 + 2 optional
Sunday: off
Monday: heavy bench 3x6/heavy rows 3x6 + 2 accessory and 2 optional
Tuesday: off/or cardio only
Wednesday: hypertrophy squats 5x8/deadlifts 3x8 + 2 accessory and 2 optional
Thursday: hypertrophy flat bench 4x8/incline bench 4x8 + 4 accessory and 2 optional
Friday: off/cardio only

each of the working days have their own specific accessory work and also optional work of my choice. accessory and optional work are all on a minimum 4 week cycle.
this is a total 6 week program that bases all your working weights with your current 1RM lifts.
heavy days are 75-80% and hypertrophy days are 70%.
each week the goal is to progress at a 0-10lb increment in all the lifts. some will progress faster than others so thats why there is the 0-10lb variance.
at the end of the program you can either max effort for new starting numbers, deload and restart program based on week 5 numbers, or take week 6 off and start over with week 5 numbers as base.

Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    looks pretty decent :smile:

I'm running sheiko 37 at the moment. No deadlifts on Wednesday though as recovering upper back injury still. Doing an extra squat day high bar only using Monday's %'s. (So basically squat/bench + accessories 3x a week, one raw, one with floor press and high bar and one equipped)

I do a 4th day of 5/3/1 of SOHP and chins plus 5x10 assistance as sheiko is basically all about the comp lifts.

I've found that if I neglect SOHP and chins they decrease a bit even if other PL lifts go up a bit. Don't want that to happen again.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Still running Madcow, but about to shift over to a variant still based on Bill Starr's programming of Heavy, Light, Medium. Will drop the weight some and run sets across instead of ramping sets since I have the time to spend in the gym.
    So my programming will look like this:

Heavy Day - Squat 3x5 (at 100% of TM), Bench Press 3x5, Deadlift 1x5 (will alternate with Rack Pulls every other week), then some accessory work including Good Mornings, Reverse Hypers, Abs

Light Day - Squat 3x5 (at 80% TM), OHP 3-5x5, Chin-Ups using Lat pull dows for back-off work, Abs

Medium Day - Squat 3x5 (at 90% of TM), CGBP 3-5x5, 3x5 T-Bar Rows, and some accessory work including Power Shrugs, Weighted Dips, and Dumbbell Curls.

All weight moving up in 5-10lbs increments a week except OHP (having to micro-load that one). Still keeping the sets low as still in a caloric deficit.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    I'm running madcow currently as well, but considering switching to a modified 531, as I feel the scheduling for madcow is pretty rigid for me. I normally train MWF but if anything comes up on a lifting day I feel pretty hosed for the week as I'm busy Thursdays and I need 2 days of recovery between the F and M bench.
  • milileitner
    milileitner Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm on Smolov Jr for bench but doing it paused. Generally, this:

Mon: rest
    Tue: legs volume + bench
    Wed: back + shoulders + bench
    Thu: rest
    Fri: DL + back
    Sat: shoulders + bench
    Sun: heavy squats + posterior chain + bench

Basically anything above 6 reps I consider pure evil. Most of the time I just program my own *kitten* bc I like to be able to change it depending on progress/goals. If I'm not running Smolov for bench I cut it to 2x week, Tue + Sat only.
  • All_Out_Attack
    Options
    I started out using Wendler's 5/3/1, and moved to my own programming, which loosely followed the same pattern. And then I stopped lifting for about 6 months... that was a mistake.

When I started out again I stayed on a similar split (M-W-F bench-deadlift-squat, respectively) but am going to be starting the Cube Method soon. It culminates in ten weeks, which works out well for me. A friend of mine agreed to offer me coaching-type guidance so that gives me some time and structure to improve before I touch base with him again.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Right now:

Sunday: Walking
    Monday: OHP/Bench
    Tuesday: Axle Deadlift/Squat
    Wednesday: Conditioning/Pull Ups
    Thursday: Conditioning/DB Rows
    Friday: Sandbag Lifts/Log Press
    Saturday: Farmers Walk/Accessories

I do a modified block (8,5,3,2,1, Deload). I'll work up to a max set on each lift with whatever amount of reps I'm doing that week and then I'll do 3 sets of 5 @ 80% of my calculated 1RM for volume. I used to do a lot more volume than this but I wasn't eating much in an effort to lose fat and after a while I was going nowhere. I realized I had gone into too far of a deficit and my metabolism was pissed at me so I took a step back, upped the calories a bit and decreased the volume.
  • AlbionOakley
    AlbionOakley Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Juggernaut method
  • scooterjay_wwis
    scooterjay_wwis Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I am using the StrongLifts 5x5 workout.
    I have found it the easiest to commit to.
    3 days a week, and I don't have to spend hours in the gym.
    Squat-OH Press-Deadlift (M)
    Squat-Bench-Row (W)
    REPEAT
    get in, lift, get out, Plus the results I've seen are awesome. Just finished my first 12 weeks, and I've only had a couple of failures.
    I go M,W,F and have the weekends off. (unless I miss a session)
    One of the things I really like about the program is... There is an APP for it that keeps track of your lifts/failures for you, and automatically adjusts the weights for you on your next lift days.
  • jlclabo
    Options
    what are these days off you speak of, lol.... the only ones i take are when i wake up and my body goes screw you im not moving, lol... dont happen quite often though.
  • All_Out_Attack
    Options
    what are these days off you speak of, lol.... the only ones i take are when i wake up and my body goes screw you im not moving, lol... dont happen quite often though.

I wish I had your fortitude. I can't do squats and deads on the same day, either. I can run my programming hard for a couple weeks before it starts catching up with me, and I get sick, insomnia, etc. I subscribe to the idea of frying your CNS. I'm fiercely protective of my sleeping/eating time.

That's one of the things I love about cube method. Only one of the lifts per week is "heavy." The other two are either explosive (speed) or reps (which is good for me cos my endurance sucks) and they rotate. So everything is getting taxed, in different ways, week to week.
  • jlclabo
    Options
    trust me, i pay for it in the long run. i am working my numbers and resetting my program this week. my bench and squat max lifts have both jumped, by 20lbs and 40lbs respectfully in this first cycle. i am going to deload this coming week and get back at it hard and heavy. im leaving deadlifts alone for now because doing them same day as squats kinda sucks, lol. the reps feel a bit easier than when i started but not like squat and bench do.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I just started smolov for squat and bench. I've run the bench cycle a few times before with good results. This is the first time running it for squat so the jury is still out. At the moment, my legs are lit up like a Christmas tree.

I just did a meet last week so I'm starting with the two week lead in before the base meso cycle. I'm glad I am. I would have crashed and burned if I started full bore out of the blocks.
  • jlclabo
    Options
    I just started smolov for squat and bench. I've run the bench cycle a few times before with good results. This is the first time running it for squat so the jury is still out. At the moment, my legs are lit up like a Christmas tree.

I just did a meet last week so I'm starting with the two week lead in before the base meso cycle. I'm glad I am. I would have crashed and burned if I started full bore out of the blocks.

how did your meet go?
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options

how did your meet go?

This is a write up I'd done on the day:

Today was the national championships for my weight class. The entire week has been crazy busy. It started on Sunday with an 8 hour agm that was exhausting but very productive. Yesterday we were at the meet all day and I worked the head table.

This morning I woke up nauseated, head achey, feverish and light headed. Weigh in was at 1pm and although I started to feel marginally better, I made the decision to lift unequipped because competing in gear takes a lot more focus than I had and I thought I would end up injuring myself. I went with our allowable unequipped gear of belt, knee sleeves and wrist wraps.

I was a good choice because I ended up having a very solid meet. The only downside is that although I competed unequipped, it won't count as an unequipped total because it was in the equipped championships.

I weighed in at 55.1kg and didn't eat much afterwards because my stomach was still dodgy. Warmups weren't bad but I kept them brief.

Squat
    97.5/215lbs good
    105/231 lbs good but super folded over
    110/242lbs couldn't grind it out. It's a good thing my spotter is a team mate because we end up super close

Bench
    50/110lbs good
    52.5/116lbs good
    55/121lbs good - This is a highlight for me because it's my first unequipped bw competition bench

Deadlift
    130/286lbs-good
    135/297lbs- good
    140/308lbs - didn't leave the floor

Total -295 (class one - which was a fun goal for me)
    Wilks - 351.5

This is the youtube video.
  • jlclabo
    Options

how did your meet go?

This is a write up I'd done on the day:

Today was the national championships for my weight class. The entire week has been crazy busy. It started on Sunday with an 8 hour agm that was exhausting but very productive. Yesterday we were at the meet all day and I worked the head table.

This morning I woke up nauseated, head achey, feverish and light headed. Weigh in was at 1pm and although I started to feel marginally better, I made the decision to lift unequipped because competing in gear takes a lot more focus than I had and I thought I would end up injuring myself. I went with our allowable unequipped gear of belt, knee sleeves and wrist wraps.

I was a good choice because I ended up having a very solid meet. The only downside is that although I competed unequipped, it won't count as an unequipped total because it was in the equipped championships.

I weighed in at 55.1kg and didn't eat much afterwards because my stomach was still dodgy. Warmups weren't bad but I kept them brief.

Squat
    97.5/215lbs good
    105/231 lbs good but super folded over
    110/242lbs couldn't grind it out. It's a good thing my spotter is a team mate because we end up super close

Bench
    50/110lbs good
    52.5/116lbs good
    55/121lbs good - This is a highlight for me because it's my first unequipped bw competition bench

Deadlift
    130/286lbs-good
    135/297lbs- good
    140/308lbs - didn't leave the floor

Total -295 (class one - which was a fun goal for me)
    Wilks - 351.5

This is the youtube video.

nice job. no link for the video, but those are solid lifts.