Let's Introduce Ourselves

Options

Replies

• joanharris2014
    Options
    WELL HELLO fans of Menopause! Yay! Good times!

Things I know:

Hot flashes suck... except when you are outside in zero degree weather in the middle of winter! Winning!

That feeling just before you get a hot flash when you just want to tell everyone in the world that has ever pissed you off to F***OFF... will pass and it's just the stupid menopause thang. (Just don't want my mother-in-law around when that happens)

This is the new normal. YES this is NORMAL? I love you God, BUT!

Eating junk food makes me feel better for a split second. Eating healthy will make me feel better. (Period)

Oh did I just say PERIOD? So glad that's almost over!

Weight is being distributed differently... So glad large hind-ends are in style! Thank you Kardashians.

I do know that I able to deal with this... menopause, bring it on! Got to be easier than my divorce five years ago.

AND I know I'm not alone in this. I feel lucky to have lived this long and have the opportunity to loose the use of my ovaries the natural way! Damn I sound like Polly Anna, I feel a hot flash coming on! ARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!

Menopause: learn to laugh about it.
  • jillyber
    jillyber Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! My name is Jill and I just turned 49 a month ago. I've been on a weight loss journey before - about 10 years ago. Boy, is this weight loss journey ever different! It doesn't seem like I know my own body! It's a lot more difficult to lose weight, but not impossible! I'm hoping hot flashes help burn calories! Feel free to friend me.
  • lmjblues
    lmjblues Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Welcome new ladies!! Glad you joined us. Lots of good info out here.

Friend requests sent.

Lisa
  • soywoman
    soywoman Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

I am not sure how long these damn hot flashes are going to last but they are killing me! Haven't had my period in over a year and they just seem to get worse. I did try pycnogenol for a bit and that helped...ran out..kind of pricey! Recently diagnosed with RA and tried the pycnogenol again...this time not so much luck.

I have about 35 lbs to lose and it is really challenging between the menopause and RA! When I feel good, I workout...when I was trying to push myself when I wasn't feeling so great, it would knock my down for several days. Listening to my body is getting easier.

I can't take HRT, brings on migraines. Rather have the hot flashes (believe it or not!) than the crazy pain in brain!

Besides the hot flashes, weight gain and the meno-fog...things are good!

Hope to find tips and support in the group!!
  • L_Cass
    L_Cass Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hello! My name is Leslie and I'm happy to be a part of this group. Last year was epic for me, I had my last period in July, got married in September (first time) and turned 50 in October! Prior to my last period I was fairly regular, with the occasional skipped period for the 18 months or so leading up to it. I knew I was perimenopausal, but didn't really expect it to just one day stop!

Whlie I'm not complaining about the no period thing, I will complain about the sudden 10 lb weight gain (within 2 months) and the horrible hot flashes and night sweats. Awful. I have tried everything from maca, to estroven, to adrenal support herbs, to black cohosh to soy product, and even tried an estrogen patch from my dr. combined with progesterone (HRT) for about a week. HRT made me very sick - nauseous, short of breath, fainty feeling, couldn't even exercise at all - so I quit that and am trying trying trying to figure out how to manage it naturally. All of the products I listed caused MORE weight gain, water retention and general moodiness. Bleh.

Anyway. I am now doing soy milk every day + adrenal support herbs and cutting back to almost none on sugar and white carbs (bread, pasta, potatoes). That is helping a little - still hot flashy but I'm getting used to it. Dress in layers ;)

However, the weight is just continuing to creep up up up in spite of my best efforts to exercise most days and eat a balanced diet with lots of protein, fruits and veggies. I am down to 2 pair of pants I can squeeze into!

I'd like to lose the 10 I gained and then maybe 5 more. I've already learned so much from you all by just reading your introductions :) This looks like a fantastic group of ladies & I'm looking forward to the journey with you all!

- Leslie
  • soywoman
    Options
    Hot flashes suck... except when you are outside in zero degree weather in the middle of winter! Winning!

This is the new normal. YES this is NORMAL? I love you God, BUT!

I do know that I able to deal with this... menopause, bring it on! Got to be easier than my divorce five years ago.

Menopause: learn to laugh about it.
    [/quote]

These are the things I am talking about!!! The hot flashes....try explaining that when you are just starting to date someone new! I have been with my boyfriend for 11/2 years now....surprised he stayed!! Not to mention trying to explain to an 8, 9, 12 and 14 year old why you get hot so suddenly! JOY!

I am SO trying to laugh...sometimes I laugh so hard people think I'm crazy! Love it!!!
  • DrewsAnna
    DrewsAnna Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I'm at the beginning stages I guess. I go for about two months with nothing then boom have a really bad one. I am definitely stressed and more emotional then I was before. I've gone through spurts where I have hot flashes but they seem to have subsided for the moment. I do take Estroven for weight loss and maybe that has helped the hot flashes. I've been working hard to get the "menopausal" weight gain look off and its been a tough road. Still hanging in there though!

This sparked my interest, I have been in peri-m for a long time, my dr. put me on a low dosage birth control pill, they helped me to get regular, I don't have hot flashes any more and I'm a much nicer person now. I gained 25 lbs in the last year but I blamed that on quitting smoking and needing to only focus on that for awhile.

I don't have anyone to talk about it with so I'm curious how do you know the difference between "menopausal" weight gain and "quitting smoking" weight gain??
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I'm at the beginning stages I guess. I go for about two months with nothing then boom have a really bad one. I am definitely stressed and more emotional then I was before. I've gone through spurts where I have hot flashes but they seem to have subsided for the moment. I do take Estroven for weight loss and maybe that has helped the hot flashes. I've been working hard to get the "menopausal" weight gain look off and its been a tough road. Still hanging in there though!

This sparked my interest, I have been in peri-m for a long time, my dr. put me on a low dosage birth control pill, they helped me to get regular, I don't have hot flashes any more and I'm a much nicer person now. I gained 25 lbs in the last year but I blamed that on quitting smoking and needing to only focus on that for awhile.

I don't have anyone to talk about it with so I'm curious how do you know the difference between "menopausal" weight gain and "quitting smoking" weight gain??

Well I guess there is really no way to know the difference - except I didn't smoke so I knew it was from quitting smoking - but as far as is there a difference - the only thing I could think of is that the menopausal weight gain won't come off - no matter how low I go on calories as it is attributed to more than just calories in. But I have heard that when you quit smoking you have a weight gain that is caused from not only the fact that you may be eating more in compensation for not smoking but a change in your body just from not having the nicotene. So may there is not difference.
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Welcome Leslie! So you mean you still have the hot flashes even after your period stops???? I guess I didn't realize that - I thought it was what happens leading up to that point. I think you are doing all the right things for the weight gain - you just gotta stick with it and not give up. That is hard to do when you don't see results though. I am going on two years here and I have gained, not lost. But I feel in better shape, physically - I just can't seem to lose anything! So I try different things to help me along - call them fad or whatever but as long as its healthy I don't see a problem with it. I couldn't do the IF - not long term, I think the going for too long with out eating and then when I did eat I would feel sickish. So now I'm just trying to eat healthy and keep exercising and moving. I can't do restrictive diets, and really don't want to, I believe in feeding my body and I am normally very active, running and doing weights, and hiking, etc. so eating too low of calories doesn't work for me.
  • Mpol2
    Mpol2 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Aim for healthier, fitter, stronger...not thinner. Reframe your definition of success. We may slowly slowly slowly conquer the menopot... But positive gains in strength and endurance and fitness and wisdom are much easier to come by.
  • micwrites
    micwrites Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Michele, I'm 53 and have been having symptoms since my late 40s. I haven't been able to use any hormone replacement therapy because of the prevalence of breast cancer in my immediate family. For a while, the symptoms, which have been intense (especially night sweats, hot flashes, and foggy thinking) seemed to go away and I was thrilled but now it is all back with a vengeance.

I've had a hell of a time losing weight and have just undergone thyroid checks to see if that is an issue. I believe it is, but all the tests have (again) come out normal. I was always fairly thin until I had kids and have consistently carried at least 40 extra pounds. Now it is 60. I've kicked up my exercise routine and am back logging every mouthful. But between the weight gain, and the hot flashes, I'm a little out of my mind. A good thing is that I've been without my period for almost two years now. That I do not miss.
  • soywoman
    Options
    You are doing great Michelle! I understand about the weight! I never had to worry about it before ....til now! I also was feeling very tired and the thyroid checked out okay...turned out it was a b deficiency and a folic acid deficiency and with further blood work , I got a diagnosis of Rheumatoid Arthritis. Awesome.....but still trying to go strong.

Keep up the good work!!!
  • lmjblues
    lmjblues Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies!

Lots of great discussion out here! I am right smack dab in the middle of all this stuff. I've been experiencing Perimenopausal symptoms since my early 40's. Crazy cycles. Periods that last six weeks at a time to skipping my period every other month. I've gone through months where I experience night sweats and hot flashes, to months where I have no symptoms. What has been a consistent through it all though is the slow creep of the scale. I mentioned this in one of the earlier posts, but I'll say it again here... I've been reading this book called: Before the Change. Taking Charge of Your Perimenopause, by Ann Louise Gittleman. It's a good book. Good source of new information, for me at least. One of the things she stresses throughout that book is how many pre menopausal women are vitamin deficient. She claims that a lot of our symptoms can be controlled or minimized by increasing our intake of certain vitamins. So, I DO think it's important that we get checked for vitamin deficiencies and thyroid function. It just seems like our bodies change, almost at a nutrient level, as we go through this stuff.

The other piece of the equation that she concentrates on is eating foods primarily in the low Glycemic Index arena. So.... lower in carbs. I know there are many schools of thought on that, and she doesn't say you CAN'T have bread or potatoes; she just encourages you to combine those higher carb foods with a larger portion of lean protein and veggie to balance out the meal and avoid sugar spikes. She basically claims that many of us women are insulin resistant during this stage in our lives and that's why we have difficulty losing weight. Hmmmmm....

I have put some of those suggestions in place and I will say this... This last month is the first time in many, many months that the scale is actually moving in a downward direction. Not at a lightening pace.. but it's moving. So, I'm going to keep on keeping on. I think this is a personal journey for all of us. We have to find what works for us. So, keep searching for your answer!

Good luck to you all!! We will make it through...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    lmjblues : I truly believe this. I've been eating "slow carb" for about 12 years now, and I KNOW that when I get lax the peri symptoms get worse and I pretty much immediately gain (belly) weight.

Here's momma_grizz's blog here on the subject. She came to pretty much the same conclusions.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Momma_Grizz/view/menopausal-weight-gain-war-zone-576021

I just started the book you've suggested. Hope things go well for you (and me!)
  • L_Cass
    L_Cass Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    thank you jchrisman717! My experience with the hot flashes has been NO hot flashes at all until my periods stopped. Everything was sort of humming along, feeling pretty good with the occasional missed or late period, and then it really just hit me like a freight train one day and I couldn't figure out was was going on! Much to the dismay of my new husband, I became a crazy sweaty mess overnight! I am figuring it out though. The game has definitely changed and I am working on getting used to my new body. My mouth still loves margaritas and sweets, but my body really rebels against them every time I try it. :)

You may be one of the lucky ones who breeze through it without a flash or sweat. I've talked to lots of those lucky ladies!
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Anyone found that their peak hours are different now?

I used to be one of those people who stayed up till midnight, got up a 7:45, hit my peak at 10 a.m....working like a demon till 3, got a hit of sugar and continued till 8 p.m.

Now, I'm up around 5 a.m. and my peak hours are 5 a.m. to 11 a.m., and I tend to slide after 2 p.m., with another pick up at 4..slower slide till 8 and then comatose by 10 p.m.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Anyone found that their peak hours are different now?

I used to be one of those people who stayed up till midnight, got up a 7:45, hit my peak at 10 a.m....working like a demon till 3, got a hit of sugar and continued till 8 p.m.

Now, I'm up around 5 a.m. and my peak hours are 5 a.m. to 11 a.m., and I tend to slide after 2 p.m., with another pick up at 4..slower slide till 8 and then comatose by 10 p.m.
    Yup. Definitely. I was at the gym by 6am for 20 years. Now I'm lucky if I'm working out by 730. (in part because my sleep is so poor, I'm sure)
  • micwrites
    micwrites Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Thank you, soywoman! Interesting about the vitamin deficiencies. I'm going to look into that. And so sorry about the arthritis. I'm sure that's a challenge and hoping it doesn't give you too much trouble. I like what someone said above about not focusing so much on being thinner, but stronger and healthier. And for me, just out of a bad 25-year marriage, the list includes being happier and much more joyful, as well ... I tell my 17-year-old, who is my workout partner a lot of the time, that we are working to be our very best, healthiest selves.
  • debneeds2beskinny
    debneeds2beskinny Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone - I am definately post menopause, I am 61. BUT - it is nice to be in a group talking about women and our "issues". I still get hot flashes now and then and loosing weight is much harder than it used to be. I also still feel the "binge" days sometimes. You know the ones, if it isn't nailed down i am going to eat it. UGH! anyway - hope it is ok I join the group, look forward to good discussions.

Also - I took soy tablets when I started the menopause journey. They did take a while to kick in, but seemed to help with the hot flashes etc...
  • soywoman
    Options
    Hi Deb. Good luck on the journey! I often wonder if these hot flashes will ever stop!!!

I'll have to check out the soy tablets. I'll try just about anything at this point!

I hear ya about the cravings...somedays .....you're right! If it isn't nailed down....watch out!