newbie help please

Options
slimbettie
slimbettie Posts: 686 Member
(I posted this under "getting started", but got no response, so here goes...)

Hi there,
I found this group after reading a lot about the book on MFP. I am brand new to exercise (since January), and have been doing mostly aerobics, some walking and now busy with Hip Hob Abs. I love the DVD workouts. But lifting is starting to entice me and I want to venture into this very strange world.

My questions are:
1. I have 50kg to lose (110lbs). Am I right for lifting?
2. Can I continue with my workout DVD's? Next I want to do Turbo Fire.
3. I don't have a gym to go to. Can I get the equipment and use it at home? And along with this question, what will I need to start?

Thanks so much for your responses.

Replies

• acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Here is my opinion, this is only a complete strangers opinion, it is really up to you to judge what will work for you. Pretty much all your questions are answered in the book, so reading the book is important.

1. If you are healthy, yes you are right for lifting. Even if you can't do everything at first, anything you do to improve your strength is a plus.
    2. A lot of people are doing cardio workouts along with this program. Stage 2 and up includes interval training so you could substitute your video workout for the intervals.
    3. The book gives home gym alternatives. I have several sets of dumbbells, stretch tubes, a cheapo weight bench with bar bell (Walmart $69.00), Swiss ball and I know I will have to purchase a doorway chin up bar in my future. I am having to be innovative for other equipment. For instance, my step up box is an ordinary cooler, LOL!

I suggest buying the book and reading through it first. Doing that will give you time to make a plan that will work for you when you are ready.
  • slimbettie
    slimbettie Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the advice. I needed to hear that I can buy the book, as silly as that sounds. I did not want to buy the book, and then find out, I am too big to do the program or can't do it from home.
    Thanks !!!