Sore after squats

Options
scody311
scody311 Posts: 12 Member
Hi folks,
I'm pretty sore still now, two days after doing squats. I'm wondering if I should always expect to be sore after doing squats for this long. I'm sort of new to the whole weight lifting thing... trying to follow "Burn the fat, feed the muscle" book. I like the book, but I'm REALLY sore... too sore to run and do cardio.

Any help would be awesome!

Replies

• bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Hi folks,
    I'm pretty sore still now, two days after doing squats. I'm wondering if I should always expect to be sore after doing squats for this long. I'm sort of new to the whole weight lifting thing... trying to follow "Burn the fat, feed the muscle" book. I like the book, but I'm REALLY sore... too sore to run and do cardio.

Squats are part of my regular routine, and I'm still sore two days after doing squats, actually the second day is always worse. Just walk for a little while and warm your legs up then you should be able to run.
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness can be super painful, but the good news is it means your muscles are rebuilding stronger than before. Eat enough protein and amino acids, if you're worried about it you can supplement with additional aminos. After a heavy leg day, I often use AminoX (just my preferred brand, for taste mostly) and it helps with the soreness. Might be a placebo, but I've noticed it helps me.
  • waxon81
    waxon81 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Doms is your friend. If I don't feel sore, I feel like I've not pushed hard enough.
    The first week I squatted (proper atg squats) I had never felt muscle soreness like it before. However on the second week it wasn't as bad, and so on until any doms I get is a reminder I've worked hard rather than a really off putting side effect.
    Keep at it, don't let it put you off, it will go soon enough
  • joan23_us
    joan23_us Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Hi folks,

my experience DOMS occurs when i have a long break from lifting and then back again, after sometime, it becomes bearable, it is normal, try some stretching after an exercise or when you get the time for it, your muscle will thank you for it.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Every time I change up my leg program, I go through DOMS. It can last me from 2 - 6 days. Proper nutrition, active rest and massage can help shorten the time. As you get into the squats, it should get better (not sure if it is less pain, or just a higher pain threshold). Enjoy!
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting again for years and I'm sore after leg day. Sometimes for 3-4 days.

Probably because I do squats, deads, power cleans, lunges and leg press on the same day. Trying to dial that back
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    The more often you do it the less you get it :smile: DOMS is not an indicator of progress, moving more weight or more reps or more total volume is.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    I can't imagine doing legs twice a week unless I really cut out the running and bball. Or it would have to be lighters twice a week
  • retrobyte
    retrobyte Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Sore after squats? You're doing it right.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    The more often you do it the less you get it :smile: DOMS is not an indicator of progress, moving more weight or more reps or more total volume is.

I'm glad someone finally said it. DOMS has no correlation to progress.

usually I get DOMS when I do something after a long period away, or if I suddenly increase volume or intensity, rather than do it progressively. Once I'm into a routine, I rarely get DOMS at all.

I've just got back lifting after some weeks off due to an injury. I'm sore this week, but by next week I don't expect to have much DOMS at all.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    For chest, back, shoulders, tris, yes, I rarely get DOMS if I'm in a routine. Legs? No matter what, I get very sore. Even when not going all out. I do squats/deads/power cleans/leg press on the same day
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I only get bad DOMS if I have changed up the volume. Usually it's only minor, if at all, when I am just adding weight each week, and only lasts for a day or two.

Usually, it will get a lot better over time.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    Okay, I'm sort of deloading a bit. I've scaled back the squat by 100lbs and the dead by about 70lbs. Skipped the leg press. Even when with 1 less sets. STILL sore.

I've had to deal with this for my entire lifting career. It can't be too heavy. It's easy weight 225lbs for a few sets of 8. No problem
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    I came back from holiday last week and started straight up with sheiko but I had to switch the DL day to squats because of back issue so squatted 3x last week. Was crazy sore after the first session on Monday but by Thursday I was all good. Squatted again on Saturday and no DOMS at all. (10 work sets per day on this program)

I have more DOMS from hamstring curls than squats now :laugh:

Frequency is key IMO.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    What type of % max are you lifting? 3x a week? I don't think I could do bball and do my interval sprints with that type of lifting schedule.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    What type of % max are you lifting? 3x a week? I don't think I could do bball and do my interval sprints with that type of lifting schedule.

Mon: 80%x3x5 sets, 75%x3x5 sets (low bar raw)
    Thu: 80%x3x5 sets, 75%x15 (high bar raw)
    Sat: 80%x3x5 sets (equipped), 70%x4x4 (low bar raw)

Tue: is upper body only
    Wed: full rest day
    Fri: full rest day
    Sun: normally some random activity

My sport is powerlifting though so it sorts of takes priority for recovery needs. I fit in other stuff when I can though, some of my friends don't think I know what a "rest" day is but I can tell you as I'm 31 now and feeling a bit older, I have been taking the recovery periods very seriously. Get stronger while resting not training :smile:
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    Interesting. 3 days for legs and 1 for upper body
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    Interesting. 3 days for legs and 1 for upper body

Nah, I bench on all Mon, Thu and Sat too.
    Week 1 was 80%x3x6 sets, 70%x5x5
    A massive pyramid up to 90%x1 and down to 60% x12 (I think 12 sets or so?)
    and 80%x3x6 sets (equipped)

The Tuesday is the extra assistance day as I know that SOHP helps my bench and I also like to include heavy chin-ups too which isn't included in the program. :smile:
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    Awesome that's a ton of lifting!
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    Awesome that's a ton of lifting!

Thanks mate. That is what sheiko is about. It is all very similar intensity at around 70-85% for the most part but becoming stronger by increasing the volume over time, and the reducing it close to a comp to take advantage of new strength in fresh condition.