Shoe question

Options
PaytraB
PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
I've only had 2 pairs of true running shoes.
The first were a pair of Saucony Pro Grid 5's. They felt great on my feet. I bought my second pair of shoes when I started to feel my feet after a run. They didn't hurt but felt used and tired, which they hadn't before. I think they had about 400 Km on these shoes when I bought a new pair; maybe a bit more.

The second pair are ASIC GT-2000 Lightning's. They currently have about 250Km on them. Lately, I've been having hard runs. My thighs feel tight and sore and I often feel like stopping to walk because of them. I can push through and then I feel my thigh muscles the next day. My knees are also occasionally a bit sore; not a real pain but a dull ache.

I'm beginning to wonder if the shoes may be the problem. I've never had gel shoes before and perhaps the gel cushioning isn't up to snuff anymore.

What is your experience with gel shoes?
How can I tell when I need new shoes? I guess not all shoes will last as long as others, so what are the signs that a new pair are needed? I don't want to hurt my knees but I also don't want to buy new shoes prematurely. Knowing the signs would be helpful.

The reason I'm unsure is that at the same time, I've noticed that I'm running a bit faster than normal. I'm not trying to and I feel as if I'm still running as slow as ever but a couple of minutes are routinely shaved off my time. So perhaps the thigh muscle & knee soreness is due to the added speed. Having to stop to walk may also be a result of running faster before I have the stamina for it.

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I can't say for you what your indications for new shoes are. For me it is blisters when I would not get any, and just general differences in the way the shoes fit on my feet. The tightness in your thighs and pain in your knees may or may not be a sign of the shoes breaking down. But a general indication is to look back over a similar distance and speed with your shoes and compare it to now. If you had pain and tightness back then, then I would think it isn't the shoes. If you didn't, and are now having pain, then I would bet the shoes.

I have had a few pairs not hit the 500 mile mark....I have had some hit only 300 miles. I am getting ready to replace my Brooks Ghosts because I am starting to get blisters in areas I haven't prior.
  • PaytraB
    Options
    Thanks, rduhlir!

I went for a run today and had a wonderful run. No tightness or discomfort at all. I'll keep an eye on these shoes. I've never felt this tightness before or the knee ache, which made me think that maybe the shoes were the issue but they still look good and have good treads, so I'm a bit confused. Today, I don't feel either of ache or pains or discomfort.

I've yet to get a blister. Yikes! That is painful.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Typically a good run shoe store will advise you on approximate mileage left on a pair of shoes.
  • PaytraB
    Options
    Well, two runs without pain or soreness. Maybe it was something else and not the shoes? I'll keep monitoring how my legs & knees feel for awhile but I'm beginning to think that something else was going on.
  • PaytraB
    Options
    Typically a good run shoe store will advise you on approximate mileage left on a pair of shoes.

Thank you! I didn't know this and will remember it for future use.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    Options
    You're welcome! I've always kept pretty good track of my mileage and when I was shopping for shoes last year I had a couple different employees tell me 50 miles remaining and that's about what I had calculated also. ????

Good luck on staying healthy and injury free!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    For me my shins & knees start to hurt when it's time for new shoes. I probably replace mine faster than I need to, but I'm kind of a wimp. I have one retired pair at work for days when I want to head out for a walk but didn't wear good walking shoes. I have one retired pair in the trunk of my car because one day I was going to stop somewhere to run on the way home and realized I had forgotten running shoes. Better to have an older pair than none!

I haven't kept track of miles on any of my shoes but am going to start with the next pair. I didn't know the running shoe store could give me an estimate on how much mileage is left so I'll definitely do that.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    Options
    I definitely keep retired shoes around for walking or for casual wear. I don't experience any issues with comfort/soreness in wearing them after they've been retired as long as I'm not running in them! My runners last less than 3 months with my mileage so I can't justify $35/month (or less when I'm lucky or Nike gives me an awesome deal) and not get any other use from them. I also retire them with about 20 miles left for muddy or super snowy runs!