Stupid Synthroid

Options
So I've been diagnosed with Hypothyroid for about 6 years now & take Synthroid. My question is about waiting the hour on an empty stomach before eating … does anyone else go from not hungry to absolutely starving in that hour? It kills me. Any ideas on how to stop this? And what about coffee during that hour? I read water only but coffee is technically water right (if I drink it black)?

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I was way more hungry when I took only a few sips of water & waited 35 minutes. Now that I drink lots & lots of water and wait a full hour, I'm actually less hungry.

You also need to wait an additional 3 hours (4 total) before taking any vitamin or mineral supplements. They interfere with the absorption.
  • twinkles2121
    twinkles2121 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I was way more hungry when I took only a few sips of water & waited 35 minutes. Now that I drink lots & lots of water and wait a full hour, I'm actually less hungry.

Ditto.

When I first started Synthroid I thought it was going to be a huge problem not to get coffee first thing, but I don't find myself that hungry either when I take it with a full bottle of water and wait 60 minutes. Plus I find it helps get rid of the brain fog too.

You could try setting your alarm an hour earlier. Get up and take your med, then go back to bed for an hour.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    You could try setting your alarm an hour earlier. Get up and take your med, then go back to bed for an hour.
    Whenever I wake during the night, I take my Synthroid. Then it's a huge treat to wake up later & not have to wait!
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Not only did I have issues with waiting an hour to eat, but it totally derailed early morning workouts b/c I bonk w/o food. And waiting an hour before having my cherished cup of morning tea is not the road to productivity.

It's embarrassing to admit, but I seriously angsted over "Thyroid Hour" for over a year. The eventual solution was to set the Synthroid & full glass of water near my bed and take them ~5am and go back to sleep, even if just for that hour.

YMMV, but you're not alone!!
  • fitbrit19
    fitbrit19 Posts: 55
    Options
    Oh I like the idea of taking it an hour earlier! Drinking more water with it is a good idea too. Although when I wake up in the morning I have a hard time drinking water. Thanks everyone!
  • brenda5476
    brenda5476 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I set my synthroid out with 1 full glass of water the night before, hubby gets up at 6am - I take it then and roll over and sleep for another hour :) I take my vitamins at noon.
  • steviecooke1985
    steviecooke1985 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I take mine at about 10pm before bed. No waiting and getting hungry!
  • benzenering
    benzenering Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I take mine in the evening as well, 11:00 pm. Best decision I ever made was to make the switch to taking levo at night.
  • tamred69
    tamred69 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I take mine in the middle of the night when I wake up to use the bathroom. No way I could go without milk and coffee first thing in the morning.:)