Pork Belly!!

Options
Lizzard_77
Lizzard_77 Posts: 232 Member
We all love it, in fact most of us crave it! The best thing about our lifestyle is that it's totally ok to eat it! So, how do you prepare it? I have only cooked this delectable morsel once in my life. Following Gordon Ramsey's recipe, I cooked it, then weighted it and refrigerated overnight, then cooked it again. This resulted in an amazing belly but was really more work than I really wanted to do. I mean part of the point of this food of the Gods is that it's pretty easy to cook and tastes fabulous no matter what, correct?

I would love to hear how you wonderful people like to prepare your bellies!

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Only cooked it once!? I can't buy it locally but I've been ordering it in.

I tried the recipe in Beyond Bacon where it is cooked whole, the skin is cross hatched and rub with spices and cooked to get a crispy skin. It was delicious. Most of the time I just slice it like really thick bacon, season with garlic/salt/pepper and roast it until the skins are crispy. Yum. Not very complicated and totally delicious. I think for me I will always prefer pork belly the way I do it.

Thanks for getting me all hungry in my IF period…. now I'm going to have to eat breakfast! :wink:
  • SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I was considering making a pulled Pork this weekend for my lunches, but I haven't formulated a recipe yet. Where is the Ramsey recipe located?
  • HaggisWhisperer
    HaggisWhisperer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I tried the recipe in Beyond Bacon where it is cooked whole, the skin is cross hatched and rub with spices and cooked to get a crispy skin. It was delicious. Most of the time I just slice it like really thick bacon, season with garlic/salt/pepper and roast it until the skins are crispy. Yum. Not very complicated and totally delicious. I think for me I will always prefer pork belly the way I do it.

I pretty much do this - my favourite is rubbing it in chinese 5 spice powder before roasting (which is also lovely rubbed on a chicken before roasting)
  • Lizzard_77
    Options
    I was considering making a pulled Pork this weekend for my lunches, but I haven't formulated a recipe yet. Where is the Ramsey recipe located?

http://www.carnivoreandvegetarian.com/2011/09/crispy-pork-belly-gordon-ramsay-style.html

If you google pork belly gordon ramsey, you will get a bunch of videos too. I love him so enjoyed watching the video!

I make a pulled pork in my slow cooker. Throw a nice fatty pork shoulder in the cooker with some orange halves, slat, pepper, lots of garlic, and chipotle, then it cook on the lowest, longest setting. During the winter months when I can't get to my smoker this totally fits the bill! Enjoy :)
  • Lizzard_77
    Options
    Only cooked it once!? I can't buy it locally but I've been ordering it in.

Thanks for getting me all hungry in my IF period…. now I'm going to have to eat breakfast! :wink:

I try to get my fatty pork bits from the local farmers who take good care of their piggys. It is a rare occasion that I actually get a pork belly from them!!!

Just have a little coconut oil, no eating necessary, lol!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Along the same line, I've got some bacon from the butcher that's completely unadulterated. Any recommendations for cooking/curing it? I'm a "love meat for meat's sake" type of person, so it doesn't have to be anything fancy, but this is also the first time I've gotten my hands on bacon that wasn't either cured or smoked. And I love to know what people come up with.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    Along the same line, I've got some bacon from the butcher that's completely unadulterated. Any recommendations for cooking/curing it? I'm a "love meat for meat's sake" type of person, so it doesn't have to be anything fancy, but this is also the first time I've gotten my hands on bacon that wasn't either cured or smoked. And I love to know what people come up with.

The stuff I'm talking about (pork belly or side pork) is fresh, uncured bacon. I just cut it in thick slices, season and bake until the skin is crispy. Personally I have no interest in trying to cure it. I order it in special so I want it plain jane.
  • butterbear1980
    butterbear1980 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Here is my method for curing bacon. Rub with lu
    Liberal amounts of good salt. Then coat with honey warming the honey helps with this. Put in big zip lock bag in fridge for four weeks. Cut and eat. Revel in the Joy of being human!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

The stuff I'm talking about (pork belly or side pork) is fresh, uncured bacon. I just cut it in thick slices, season and bake until the skin is crispy. Personally I have no interest in trying to cure it. I order it in special so I want it plain jane.

I thought it was the same, but to my knowledge, the cuts I have don't have skin on them (to be fair, I didn't look too hard).

Also, what temperature do you bake it at?
  • SteamClutch
    Options

http://www.carnivoreandvegetarian.com/2011/09/crispy-pork-belly-gordon-ramsay-style.html

If you google pork belly gordon ramsey, you will get a bunch of videos too. I love him so enjoyed watching the video!

I make a pulled pork in my slow cooker. Throw a nice fatty pork shoulder in the cooker with some orange halves, slat, pepper, lots of garlic, and chipotle, then it cook on the lowest, longest setting. During the winter months when I can't get to my smoker this totally fits the bill! Enjoy :)

Thanks I will be grinding into it tonight, I may (if I can find) substitute Apricots for the oranges, it just sound right to me.
  • mixelated
    mixelated Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Khana mu krop - a Thai dish that will make you cry with happiness, if you love Thai food and crispy pork belly. I love gai lan, too ("chinese broccoli") so this is one of my favorites.
    http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/10/stir-fried-broccoli-pork-belly-my-thai-recipe.html

If you go out to get it at a Thai restaurant, it'll have the sugar in it. Making it at home and cutting out the sugar is just as delicious, IMO.

Although, still be prepared to eat half or two thirds of your daily calories in one go. :/
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Speaking of Asian recipes, here is one from Okinawa: rafuti pork. Yummers! http://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/okinawan-braised-pork-belly-rafute
    I think you can adjust the sweeteners to reduce the carbs.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options

I thought it was the same, but to my knowledge, the cuts I have don't have skin on them (to be fair, I didn't look too hard).

Also, what temperature do you bake it at?

Yeah, the skin isn't on it. Best part. The Beyond Bacon recipe I used was Cracklin Pork Belly. The whole piece is baked at 325 for 90 minutes. I bake my slices on 350 for an hour or more until the skin is crispy. There's a recipe in the book for Smoked Pork Belly, Bacon, and Pancetta.

I see some interesting Asian recipes for Pork Belly from time to time but Well Fed 2's Chinese Five-Spice Pork Ribs kind of scared me off of those seasonings for awhile.
  • Quinnstinct
    Quinnstinct Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Mix that sounds amazing, I might have to try it! Thanks for sharing!
  • SteamClutch
    Options
    I know it's not Pork Belly but I just fired up the crock pot with my Pulled Pork Chili, I made the Chipotle myself from dried peppers. Can't wait...
  • Lizzard_77
    Options
    Clutch, that sounds fabulous!!!

I thought I should report back that my pork belly turned out delish! Hubinator reminded me that he wasn't a huge fan of it last time (who is this man and why did I marry him), it was too intense for him. So I decided to kinda follow Meatified's recipe for pork belly carnitas.

I marinated it for an hour in unsweetened apple juice, garlic, ground roasted cumin, chipotle (not homemade, Clutch), and dried oregano (homemade from my garden). Then I braised it for a few hours. At this point I let is cool and cut off what we were going to eat for dinner. I did this all earlier in the day so when dinner time came I cut it up into bite size chunks and seared it up till crispy in a hot cast iron. Hubinator pulled off all the delicious fat and skin (woohoo, more for me) and shredded his meat. I kept mine in chunks and we ate it as tacos with shredded lettuce, tomatoes, and homemade curtido. So good, so happy! I like the fact that I didn't crisp up the skin in the original cook and can do that separately when heating it up and it won't get overcooked.

Thanks everyone for your delicious looking suggestions! Also, I now have ideas for the slices pork belly I have in my freezer :)
  • SteamClutch
    Options
    So far so good, I put it back on simmer after I upped the spices, it was light on heat and needed more herbs for a sweet finish. I will be treating the household to it for dinner tonight. they usually just watch me eat my own meals when my wife makes wheat based meals.
  • Quinnstinct
    Quinnstinct Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Clutch what's your recipe? After a 70 degree sunny day yesterday it's windy and sleeting and chili sounds AMAZING.
  • SteamClutch
    Options
    Not sure how to share it, I'll see what I can do.
  • SteamClutch
    Options
    Okay so I went to the trouble of generating a recipe using their program but I see no way to search for it. When I go into the food menu and "search" the food database it doesn't show up maybe it'll work if someone else searches it, I have it as "Clutch's Pulled Pork Chili" but if I can't pull it up I am not hopeful. I will transcribe it below:

Pork shoulder, 3 lbs
    Fire roasted diced tomatoes w/chilies, 7 cups
    Dried red hot chili peppers (made into a chipotle sauce by soaking in water for several hours and blended)
    1 large white onion, chopped into large chunks
    4 garlic cloves chopped large
    I tsp celery seeds
    8 oz. fire roasted yellow and red peppers
    4 tbsp ghee (optional)
    1 tbsp dried basil
    1 tbsp dried rosemary (crushed)
    2 tbsp dried onion (minced)
    2 tbsp red pepper flakes
    Salt and pepper to taste
    8 tbsp Honey (optional, gives a sweet finish)

Trim the excess fat off the pork (if you want to)
    Toss everything except the salt, pepper and honey in a crock pot for 10 hours
    Break up the pork with two forks
    Stir in salt and pepper and taste until it is to your liking
    Add honey if you desire a sweet balance and finish to the chili
    Let sit for a bit so the salt and honey will set in and infuse well

We will serve this on shredded Cabbage and Carrots