Binging.

Options
Well for a long time I starved myself probably from 7th grade to 11th grade but i realized even at 103 lbs i was called fat and i was hungry. I would binge eat when nobody else was around bc i thought that if somebody saw me eat then i was really be called fat. So there was about a 30 minute window between when i got off the school bus to when my mom got home from work and i would eat anything and everything bc i knew that was going to be my only meal. Well then i decided after all the ridicule that i needed to eat so i ate and realize ppl seeing me eat wasnt so bad. but bc of my binge habits my portion control is distorted and i have no idea how to eat and stop without getting that disgustingly full feeling. So im trying to teach myself to eat again. I can go very long periods of time without eating but the moment i put anything in my mouth i eat until 1,) there is nothing left or 2.) If i take another bite i am going to puke I am trying to figure out how to listen to my body but i dont even know how to tell if i am hungry anymore

How do I stop this from happening? I need tips.

its like the moment some type of food goes into my mouth I can't stop. :'( Please help me.

Replies

• blackthrux
    blackthrux Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi, and welcome!

Here are a couple of suggestions that I have. These may work for you, or you may need to keep trying to find the way that is right for you. I'm fairly new to this group, but from what I've seen so far, there is a lot of support here if you want it. I'm also fairly new to recognizing my own food issues, so I may suggest you do something that the collective wisdom would suggest instead that you avoid. If so, I expect that others here will help to set us both in the right direction.
    ...bc of my binge habits my portion control is distorted and i have no idea how to eat and stop without getting that disgustingly full feeling. So im trying to teach myself to eat again.

The best suggestion that I have for this is to slow down when eating, and actually taste and enjoy the food that you are putting into your mouth. If you can slow down, and maybe even put down your utensils for a couple of minutes while eating, your stomach and your brain will have a chance to talk to each other, and you might be able to start reading those feelings of being comfortable (not hungry, not full).
    I can go very long periods of time without eating but the moment i put anything in my mouth i eat until 1,) there is nothing left or 2.) If i take another bite i am going to puke I am trying to figure out how to listen to my body but i dont even know how to tell if i am hungry anymore

Going long periods of time between meals may not be the best thing that you can be doing for yourself. This might feel like a seismic shift for you, but what would happen if you measured out (paying attention to serving sizes and portion control) a certain amount of food that you want to eat at a given sitting, and have just that amount of food until the next planned meal or snack a few hours later? Don't tell yourself you can't have the food that you want, but instead tell yourself that you're going to take a break to see if you still want the food after that little break.

Good luck in your journey. For me, the hardest part so far has been in recognizing that I need help, and asking for that help. This won't be easy, but I think it will be worth the effort. I hope that you find the same.
  • purplybob
    purplybob Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    A couple of things that have been suggested to me:

1) Buy a kitchen scale. Weigh everything. That way you don't have to eyeball portions but can truly eat the recommended serving size.

2) Pre-portion all your food for the day. Takes some time, but I pre-portion and cook all of my food each day for the next day. Tupperware is my friend!

3) Drink water 20 minutes or so before you eat. Helps send the "full" signal to the brain in time.

4) Pray - a prayer given to me by my OA sponsor I use before I eat "May this be enough but not too much"

Hope some of this helps
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    If you are in the OA program or in process of determining that you are a compulsive overeater, then you’re in the right place.
    Tips and tricks will only stick as long as you put forth the work in addressing this disease, and what works for you may not work for another. For example, some people weigh and measure their food, but for others weighing and measuring becomes a form of compulsion. So your program may not look similar to another COE. I will also stress that compulsive overeating is not about food, it is a disease of the mind. Food is where we turn for relief, although temporary, to ease the pain. Working with an experienced COE or sponsor can help you work through the process and ultimately address your disorder through the 12 steps. A few of us are here every day to offer (and get) support, so keep coming back!
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I will refrain from repeating the tips already suggested there are some great tips and tools there. For me I had eyes bigger than my stomach issue. Other than to repeat the "weigh your food" and educate yourself what a portion really looks like (I call this self calibration).

There just sometimes did not look like enough food on my plate or bowl - I bought smaller bowls and plates - 75g of ice cream in a large ramekin looks like a large portion and I use a small dessert spoon :)

Portion out the more nutrient dense foods first and fill the plate with less dense foods (I do not weight things like salad this I just estimate) - pick interesting variety stuff - this gives your eyes the appearance of abundance.

Avoidance is one of the hardest things for me - my greatest "food fear" is the smorgasbord - I can exercise self control and attend these with apprehension and caution (generally these are family gathering events or work events). I generally do not pick these are a venue personally - My take home message is don't set yourself up for "failure" when I know I am going to one of these events I now "save calories" accept that I might over eat a little but if I am going to then only over eat what I really enjoy and I give myself permission whether to do this or not in advance, if I do overeat and I did not plan to than I find within myself to not lay blame on the food myself or the people or organised the event - I look at why I overate removing the "charge" removing the excuses and the blame - it will bring up some kind of reference or realization, generally for me it is that I have been holding back and not giving - bottling up emotions or something similar - it will be something fear driven, I posted on someone elses thread just this morning and is lesson for the day - Action overcomes fear If I find I am over eating it is for me because I am avoiding acting on something else that I know I need to do.

I personally save a mouthful of the food I enjoy the most for last so you end a meal with something you enjoy most - It just helps me.

In more recent months I have changed my mind set not that do I deserve that food - it is does that food deserve to be a part of me? Does this food reflect who I really want to be - does it support me in being and living. In the past if something was stale or just not that good I would eat it to prevent waste now I take a bite and decide - is this food deserving to be a part of me? If it is not up to the "mark" than it is "dog food" - so not wasted just downgraded :)

(I tend to mind dump in my posts for any typos or half sentences I ask you to be kind in your criticisms - this is how my mind works)
  • blackthrux
    blackthrux Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    ...does that food deserve to be a part of me?

Wow, this hits home for me. What a powerful statement.