New to Kettlebell

Options
joanthemom8
joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
I am new to kettlebells,,,,I want to try using the workouts for strength training..... that is my weakest area (no pun intended),, I do mostly cardio at the gym in the mornings.... I'd like to get a kettlebell workout going at home maybe 3 times a week. Any suggestions on where I should start? thank you!

Replies

• MissB46
    MissB46 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Firstly I would suggest to get someone to show you proper technique as you can really hurt yourself if you do it wrong. Maybe attend some classes and tell the instructor that you have never trained with kb's before.

Start with a light weight until you have the correct form, but I would pretty much try and move up the weights, personally I can't see the point in training with a 4kg kb for very long, especially swings are far too easy.

I have been training with kb's for just over 2 years now, started off with classes and I was hooked. Kettlebells are a very challenging (if you keep challenging yourself of course) workout that combines strength with cardio, the moves are mostly very explosive and you keep your whole body engaged whilst exercising.

I currently do two classes per week but also do my own workouts which I get off this website www.myomytv.com

I hope you enjoy, I think Kettlebells are the bestest thing ever!
  • HaibaneReki
    HaibaneReki Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    hi, just started with 10 kilos for one hand lifts and 16kg for swings. Currently doing 3-4 sets of 10 reps of on hand dead lifts each hand, 20 reps of swings with 10 push-ups in between sets. If I kick myself out I put 5K jogging before that. Am trying to improve overall strength and lose fat round my stomach. Any other tips? Is it too little for a beginner? Thanks
  • MissB46
    MissB46 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    when doing my own workouts I time them rather than using reps so basically I use an interval timer (http://www.gymboss.com/) set it for for example 30 second work and 10 second rest and then go flat out in the work interval, see how many reps I can manage in say 30 seconds....then do that for about 8 exercises 4 rounds, believe me you will feel that

I tend to to simple things i.e. swings, round the body passes, clean & press, roundabout swings, squat and row this way it still works my muscles but gives me a cardio workout too.

The classes I go to tend to be designed in the same fashion.

I am not really sure if you are doing enough or too little or too much, and all I could suggest is to listen too your body and if you can do more then go for it.....
  • taravernier
    taravernier Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I would suggest looking up Lauren Brooks on YouTube. She has some great videos out there on how to do the swing which is important to get right. I would strongly encourage you to make sure anyone you are watching or learning from is certified. I have taken a couple of classes where the things the instructors were saying were going to get someone hurt for sure. Lauren has a fair number of videos, a 12 week daily work out program (less than 30 mins a day) to build strength, and an app with workouts on it as well. :) As you can tell I am a fan.
  • HaibaneReki
    HaibaneReki Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Thanks, roger. Will push harder next time. I'll go until I can't do one more rep and see where that gets me. Yesterday after jogging I was pretty much wasted after 10 minutes of kettles :)