any help please!! :0)

Options
gemheath2010
gemheath2010 Posts: 68 Member
hi everyone,
Hope its ok but i've posted this on the eat more to weigh less website as well to try and get some answers.

Firstly, i wanted to say that i am so glad that i found this - i actually feel for the first time in my life that i have found something that is sustainable for the rest of my life. I really don't think that i could ever just go back to eating 1200 calories, in fact i cant believe that i used to do it.
So anyway on to my little problem - i have been eating at 1923 for a while now, and am really enjoying being able to eat more, and fit in more treats without feeling incredably guilty and wanting to cut back the next day.
The only problem is that i dont seem to be seeing the results on the scale that i am hoping for. I feel a bit werid complaining about this, as i know that i have lost weight, i've gone from 11.5 to what i am currently 11.0, and i have definately lost inches as certain things are fitting better than they did before. I feel healthier, have more energy for the gym, feel as though for the first time in my life i'm not constantly at war with myself. But, everything seems to have stopped. The scale seems to be bouncing around the same weight, and has been for the last few weeks which is upsetting me, i also kinda feel that my fat loss has stalled generally.
I just kinda want to get a few ideas about what i can do to get things moving again, but i don't want to start cutting my calorie intake. I'm wondering if i am maybe over estimating my calories, and need to start being a little more strict with myself. Or maybe i'm not lifting as heavy as i can do - not sure really, just wondering if anyone has any ideas about what i could do really.

oh should also probablay give my stats as well incase i have miscalculated something

i'm 31, female (obviously), and work as a technician in a pharmacy, so on my feet all day, tends to do quite a few steps. I workout at the gym for about 40-50 mins each morning, 5 times weekly, and sometimes at the weekend with my husband. I am following the New Rules of Lifting for Women, currently stage two, and am trying to lift as heavy as i can, three times weekly, the other two times i do cardio, on the treadmill, and some ab work.
Using the scooby calculator, it has me at

BMR - 1461
TDEE - 2266
-15% - 1926

i'm also 11.0, fat percentage is 33% which i want to reduce to about 25%
thanks

Replies

• AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are having some great results so far - congrats on losing both weight and inches!

Since your progress has sort of slowed down, what I would recommend is to bump your calories up to TDEE and eat at that level for a while. Have you done a full reset, or did you just go right to cut when starting EM2WL? If you have not done a full reset, then maybe bump up to TDEE and stay there for a month or so (or until your weight stabilizes) and THEN start a moderate 15% cut. If you have done a reset, then maybe just bump up to TDEE for a week or two.

The purpose of eating at that higher level is to "remind" your body of what "normal" is. You don't want it to start thinking that your cut is your TDEE. It doesn't sound like you have done a reset by your post, so definitely start with bumping your calories up -- you are correct that you don't want to cut your calories. Just work your way up to TDEE and stay there until your weight stabilizes (you may see a slight jump up on the scale as your body adapts). Once your body is accustomed to eating at TDEE (maintenance), then start your cut again...
  • sarahorange55
    Options
    Hello - congrats on weight loss so far! awesome job

here are a few ideas you could try:

1. up your cals just by 100 (as your TDEE is similar to mine and I am 41 and don't exercise half as much) so maybe you have not been using the correct exercise level - ie go up one

2. "shake the toaster" basically if you are doing the same old same week in week out your body can get a bit bored too - maybe mix it up

3. lift heavier - I am not a lifter so therefore cannot say for sure but lifting will def help with losing fat so maybe go up a level in one session this week

4. drop one of your cardios and throw in an extra lifting session maybe

5. lastly make sure that you are getting a rest day in there too!!

6. or another lastly macros - make sure you are eating enough protein if lifting - I am struggle to reach my 30% protein - not sure what you are seeing?

Good luck - let us know how you are doing - plateaus happen for all of us - don't lose faith keep going and maybe concentrate on other positives??
  • jaeone
    jaeone Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Hi Again! I glad you found us too!! I agree with what Anitra said!
    I answered your post on EM2WL.com but I put my response here also!

Thats awesome that you have experienced inches lost and you are feeling healthier and more energized!! You are doing awesome!!
    You said you have been "doing this for a while" How long have you been eating 1926? It may be time for a "diet break" Which means eating your full TDEE for about a week. You body may have just become accustom to your intake.

Again remember the scale does not tell the full story of your success. You have made some awesome accomplishments, focus on those and less on the scale!! Keep up the great work!!
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    First of all congrats on wonderful things accomplished. It appears that you love your carbs & carbs are good, but I would recommend lowering your carbs to stay under your macros in that area. Being over almost daily could be contributing to your stall. Also possibly eating your carbs earlier in the day or in smaller portions in the evening would help you. They will benefit you earlier in the day with your workouts but maybe turning into starches when not burned later on. Try limiting products with higher sodium as it leads to bloatness and retention quite a bit. Everyone is different but it makes a huge difference for me. Also I would suggest you get more protein. You appear to be under quite a bit in that area & that will help to keep you full & help with muscle recovery. Also unless you don’t log it, be sure to hydrate. With switching up your workout routines & this I believe you will continue to lose again & your BMI & Body Fat will be reduced. Good luck.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    You have a bodyfat % estimate - did you use the Scooby calc that allows you to use it with the Katch BMR?

If you have the chance to start with more accuracy, why not take it?

Your estimated BMR could be lower than you are using, meaning the TDEE could be lower. And you are eating at potential maintenance.

Or it's decently higher, meaning your deficit is really greater than it should be, meaning to eat at TDEE for a reset needs to be higher.

Also, on your guess of TDEE level.
    Your exercise by itself is just going in to Moderately Active. But it assumes sedentary desk job.
    Your work by itself is Lightly Active - on your feet all day, with no exercise.
    Combine the two and I'd suggest you are either rounding up Moderately Active, or more likely rounding down Very Active.
    Or just go for right in-between levels, Katch BMR x 1.64.

That is really making your eating level too low.

And if you gain 1-2 lbs fast water weight, just proves how far below you were.

You can tell if lifting heavy enough, after the learning curve for proper form of course with lighter weight, if you are unable to reach the last rep of the last set with good form.
  • gemheath2010
    Options
    Sounds like you are having some great results so far - congrats on losing both weight and inches!

Since your progress has sort of slowed down, what I would recommend is to bump your calories up to TDEE and eat at that level for a while. Have you done a full reset, or did you just go right to cut when starting EM2WL? If you have not done a full reset, then maybe bump up to TDEE and stay there for a month or so (or until your weight stabilizes) and THEN start a moderate 15% cut. If you have done a reset, then maybe just bump up to TDEE for a week or two.

The purpose of eating at that higher level is to "remind" your body of what "normal" is. You don't want it to start thinking that your cut is your TDEE. It doesn't sound like you have done a reset by your post, so definitely start with bumping your calories up -- you are correct that you don't want to cut your calories. Just work your way up to TDEE and stay there until your weight stabilizes (you may see a slight jump up on the scale as your body adapts). Once your body is accustomed to eating at TDEE (maintenance), then start your cut again...

hi thanks for the reply - i havent done the reset, when i decided to start this i increased my calories to 1923, and kinda went from there. I have considered eating to tdee myself, i'm beginning to wonder if that would be the answer.
  • gemheath2010
    Options
    Hello - congrats on weight loss so far! awesome job

here are a few ideas you could try:

1. up your cals just by 100 (as your TDEE is similar to mine and I am 41 and don't exercise half as much) so maybe you have not been using the correct exercise level - ie go up one

2. "shake the toaster" basically if you are doing the same old same week in week out your body can get a bit bored too - maybe mix it up

3. lift heavier - I am not a lifter so therefore cannot say for sure but lifting will def help with losing fat so maybe go up a level in one session this week

4. drop one of your cardios and throw in an extra lifting session maybe

5. lastly make sure that you are getting a rest day in there too!!

6. or another lastly macros - make sure you are eating enough protein if lifting - I am struggle to reach my 30% protein - not sure what you are seeing?

Good luck - let us know how you are doing - plateaus happen for all of us - don't lose faith keep going and maybe concentrate on other positives??

thank you for your reply :0) - i'm definately having trouble hitting my protein macro, i've started using a protein shake which should hopefully be able to increase that side of things. I also think i'm definately going to seriously increase my weights, and see if that makes any difference. How come you don't lift if you don't mind me asking????
  • gemheath2010
    Options
    Hi Again! I glad you found us too!! I agree with what Anitra said!
    I answered your post on EM2WL.com but I put my response here also!

Thats awesome that you have experienced inches lost and you are feeling healthier and more energized!! You are doing awesome!!
    You said you have been "doing this for a while" How long have you been eating 1926? It may be time for a "diet break" Which means eating your full TDEE for about a week. You body may have just become accustom to your intake.

Again remember the scale does not tell the full story of your success. You have made some awesome accomplishments, focus on those and less on the scale!! Keep up the great work!!

your right i do need to ensure that i keep the positives in mind, this is why i don't really want to complain, because i have been over the moon by what i have achieved so far, i would just like it to progress a little further. I'm trying to keep the whole picture in mind, and not just concentrate on the scales, so looking at how i'm feeling, fat percentage, how my clothes fit, inches etc. Trouble is that the jeans that i'm using as a marker, aren't getting any looser.
  • gemheath2010
    Options
    You have a bodyfat % estimate - did you use the Scooby calc that allows you to use it with the Katch BMR?

If you have the chance to start with more accuracy, why not take it?

Your estimated BMR could be lower than you are using, meaning the TDEE could be lower. And you are eating at potential maintenance.

Or it's decently higher, meaning your deficit is really greater than it should be, meaning to eat at TDEE for a reset needs to be higher.

Also, on your guess of TDEE level.
    Your exercise by itself is just going in to Moderately Active. But it assumes sedentary desk job.
    Your work by itself is Lightly Active - on your feet all day, with no exercise.
    Combine the two and I'd suggest you are either rounding up Moderately Active, or more likely rounding down Very Active.
    Or just go for right in-between levels, Katch BMR x 1.64.

That is really making your eating level too low.

And if you gain 1-2 lbs fast water weight, just proves how far below you were.

You can tell if lifting heavy enough, after the learning curve for proper form of course with lighter weight, if you are unable to reach the last rep of the last set with good form.

ok firstly thank you so much for the detailed reply, it took me a couple of reads to figure out what you were saying, but i think it makes sense.
    so, i calculated the new figures

katch bmr x 1.64 = 2263

strenuous
    bmr - 1380
    tdee - 2380
    tdee - 15% - 2023

moderate
    bmr - 1380
    tdee - 2139
    tdee - 15% - 1818

so is the katch bmr x 1.64, thats to work out the tdee is that correct?? in which case, i then need to take off 15% which is the cut this takes me to 1924 which i about a calorie less that what i've been eating. So i'm a little confused as it would appear that i have been eating the correct amount. What would you suggest here?? i'm going to have another look over the stickies etc whilst i wait to hear from you to see if i can figure this out myself.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    So Katch BMR is tad below the Mifflin BMR you probably used prior, because of higher than desired BF%. Normal and expected.

But I'm glad you see the point your TDEE level is higher than level you first selected. Well, between levels.
    Mod is BMR x 1.55, Very is BMR x 1.725, avg is BMR x 1.64.
    There are infinite levels, those 5 levels are actually based on a formula, they could have made a 6 or 10 level scale with the hours of exercise.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1018770-better-rough-tdee-estimate-than-5-level-chart

So it ends up being the same goal at deficit. That's beneficial.
    So every 2 weeks as you get another BF% estimate, get new Katch BMR, if it changes by 61 calories, then take the new Katch BMR x 1.64 activity multiplier if routine is the same, and your new TDEE should be 100 different.
    15% off again for new eating goal.

But my main point on the TDEE is I'd suggest that 2260 is closer to reality, and that's the one you need to reset at for a bit, as suggested by others.

But work your way up slowly as mentioned, because if really no loss or gain right now, current eating level is your TDEE, hopefully suppressed.
    I mean hopefully as opposed to it being your potential, and the estimates are just really bad for some reason.

Accuracy of food logging has a play there too of course.
  • sarahorange55
    Options
    I don't mind you asking at all - I don't lift because I don't have a gym membership or room to do it :) I do a kettlebells class once a week which is heavy weights and I do make them really heavy - eventually I think I will but currently training for a 5k (I am NOT a runner) so that is taking a fair amount of effort too.

Also I know from previous I do bulk up certainly in my legs when I do heavy weights and as I am feeling pretty huge at present don't want to add to that feeling!

Just worked my way up to 1950 too and put on a fair amount of weight so I am hoping scales start to come down - or at least inches start to come down too!

Keep going though you are doing really well!