Gravel Rides

Options
sillygoosie
sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
Is anyone a gravel grinder? The man and I have decided this is a perfect compromise between my roads and his single track. I am terribly excited to embark on this new area of riding. Does anyone have some good info or tips? I'll finally be putting some miles on that shiny new mtn bike.

Replies

• Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Keep the down side down! :)
  • slocyclist
    Options
    I'd love to, but no gravel roads around here. I used to on farm roads as a kid with big balloon tires, and it was a blast!
  • mikes99mail
    mikes99mail Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    i bought a CX bike to make the most of the farm tracks round here, it's fantastic fun!
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    Love the CaadX for that sort of stuff...

http://www.kinomap.com/watch/rtrhmh

great fun mixing it up, a little tarmac, a little dirt, the odd canal towpath...

did one a week last saturday - 60+km's probably 50-50 dirt or tarmac - http://app.strava.com/activities/118655468

The 'cross bike is the perfect tool for this stuff, fast enough for the road and solid enough to cope with non-technical offroad stuff provided you don't hit it with quite the same "screw it" attitude you get with a 35lb overbuilt MTB.
  • sillygoosie
    Options
    I would love to get CX for this but I already have the hybrid, roadie, mtn, and single speed. I think I'd better be happy with what I have. I have been eyeballing some Surlys down at the LBS but alas, we are trying to save for a kitchen remodel. Well, it's a kitchen/bike shop.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Love the CaadX for that sort of stuff...

http://www.kinomap.com/watch/rtrhmh

great fun mixing it up, a little tarmac, a little dirt, the odd canal towpath...

[Like!] How'd you do that?
  • Snowoutspokin
    Options
    Here its pretty much road or gravel. I've been doing tons the past 2 yrs. Getting a cyclocross bike for the gravel stuff
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    I would love to get CX for this but I already have the hybrid, roadie, mtn, and single speed. I think I'd better be happy with what I have. I have been eyeballing some Surlys down at the LBS but alas, we are trying to save for a kitchen remodel. Well, it's a kitchen/bike shop.
    Rule 12?
  • sillygoosie
    Options
    Rule 12?

Of course, but there's also the D-1 rule. My bikes already take up a massive amount of room in our house. I guess if I put it into perspective, all of my bikes put together are about the same size as his fat bike... Nevermind, I can't afford one anyway. :ohwell:
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    They have Gravel Grinder supported rides/races down here in the DFW area. Check with your local bike shop to see if they have anything in you area. That could give you some ideas where to ride.
  • slocyclist
    Options
  • mdstamand
    mdstamand Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the world of gravel. I enjoy it for several reasons. It is often a nice break from the busier paved roads and the scenery is usually tough to beat. In the woods of the mountain trails the vistas are usually limited by the flora, while the paved roads lack the wild life. Here in Vermont gravel grinding is really starting to take off. More than 50% of roads in Vermont are not paved, some of them barely qualify as roads. There are some very nice and some tough events and more are cropping up. Last year I purchased a Salsa Vaya 2 specifically for this type of riding. (The Warbird was out of my price range). I do have a Trek MtB and a Cannondale road bike but I prefer the Salsa for gravel grinding. When I go to gravel grinding events I don't see many mountain bikes. I typically ride with two other guys; one had been riding a MtB but is getting a Giant Revolt and the other has been riding a Masi touring bike but is now waiting for delivery of a custom Gunnar.

If you've been mountain biking you are well prepared for the gravel. You may want to get narrower tires with a bit less aggressive tread but you may find you love the setup you currently have.

Keep 'em turning,
    Mike
  • sillygoosie
    Options
    Welcome to the world of gravel. I enjoy it for several reasons. It is often a nice break from the busier paved roads and the scenery is usually tough to beat. In the woods of the mountain trails the vistas are usually limited by the flora, while the paved roads lack the wild life. Here in Vermont gravel grinding is really starting to take off. More than 50% of roads in Vermont are not paved, some of them barely qualify as roads. There are some very nice and some tough events and more are cropping up. Last year I purchased a Salsa Vaya 2 specifically for this type of riding. (The Warbird was out of my price range). I do have a Trek MtB and a Cannondale road bike but I prefer the Salsa for gravel grinding. When I go to gravel grinding events I don't see many mountain bikes. I typically ride with two other guys; one had been riding a MtB but is getting a Giant Revolt and the other has been riding a Masi touring bike but is now waiting for delivery of a custom Gunnar.

If you've been mountain biking you are well prepared for the gravel. You may want to get narrower tires with a bit less aggressive tread but you may find you love the setup you currently have.

Keep 'em turning,
    Mike

Do you think it would be better to get a slightly treaded tire for my hybrid or a less aggressive tire on the mtn bike?
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    I had a pair of these fitted on my MTB a few years ago when I did a couple of 'cross races without the benefit of a proper bike...

http://www.schwalbe.co.uk/cross/cx-pro/

they're one of the few 'cross tyres that actually come in a 26" wheel size.

Of course, if you've got a 29'er or 700c's on the hybrid, you can just run pretty much any 'cross tyre - the schwalbe sammy slicks are a pretty good compromise for gravel stuff

http://www.schwalbe.co.uk/cross/sammy-slick/

as to which bike to use... well - sort of depends on the suspension I suppose - lockout would be preferable, and obviously you'd have to consider if the hybrid's wheels were actually up to the job of bouncing about off road a bit. Hard to say without knowing the models TBH
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Building a frame-up gravel bike as we speak (Surly Straggler - basically a Cross Check with disc brakes). Gravel is *the* thing here in the Midwest US - Heck, I've got Dirty Kanza and umpteen gravel hundies in my "backyard" (NE, IA, MO, KS, & CO). I'll be out there gettin' my gravel legs with ya!
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Of course, but there's also the D-1 rule.
    Oh. Yes. That. I had a similar issue. Mostly solved it with one of these:

311cJJTIBNL._AA160_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Racor-PLB-4R-Gravity-Freestanding-Stand/dp/B000PGXLDC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1395249436&sr=8-2&keywords=Gravity+4+Bike+Stand

But $$$ is $$$ and pizza taste way better than carbon and aluminum
  • sillygoosie
    Options
    I had a pair of these fitted on my MTB a few years ago when I did a couple of 'cross races without the benefit of a proper bike...

http://www.schwalbe.co.uk/cross/cx-pro/

they're one of the few 'cross tyres that actually come in a 26" wheel size.

Of course, if you've got a 29'er or 700c's on the hybrid, you can just run pretty much any 'cross tyre - the schwalbe sammy slicks are a pretty good compromise for gravel stuff

http://www.schwalbe.co.uk/cross/sammy-slick/

as to which bike to use... well - sort of depends on the suspension I suppose - lockout would be preferable, and obviously you'd have to consider if the hybrid's wheels were actually up to the job of bouncing about off road a bit. Hard to say without knowing the models TBH

Hybrid is a Trek 7.5 FX and the Mtn is a Canndondale Tango. I'm hoping for some nicer weather soon so I can try them both out. My hybrid is usually for urban "commuting" and I've barely put 50 miles on the mtn bike. Technical single track is NOT my thing but this bike was a gift from my BF and his parents and I hate to let it hang in the kitchen gathering dust.
  • sillygoosie
    Options
    Of course, but there's also the D-1 rule.
    Oh. Yes. That. I had a similar issue. Mostly solved it with one of these:

311cJJTIBNL._AA160_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Racor-PLB-4R-Gravity-Freestanding-Stand/dp/B000PGXLDC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1395249436&sr=8-2&keywords=Gravity+4+Bike+Stand

But $$$ is $$$ and pizza taste way better than carbon and aluminum

We just built a wall mounted bike rack in the kitchen. Unfortunately, it's filled with my bikes and his live elsewhere around the house. His fatty is too big for any standard rack. The funny part is that we hung it at his 6ft height and I can only get my roadie down on my own. Derp
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Hybrid is a Trek 7.5 FX and the Mtn is a Canndondale Tango. I'm hoping for some nicer weather soon so I can try them both out. My hybrid is usually for urban "commuting" and I've barely put 50 miles on the mtn bike. Technical single track is NOT my thing but this bike was a gift from my BF and his parents and I hate to let it hang in the kitchen gathering dust.

I think you'd enjoy it more if you did a clinic and went with someone besides the boyfriend ::cough:: like me ::cough::.
  • sillygoosie
    Options

I think you'd enjoy it more if you did a clinic and went with someone besides the boyfriend ::cough:: like me ::cough::.
    Yes ma'am :blushing: