Gravel Rides

Options
2»

Replies

• dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    We just built a wall mounted bike rack in the kitchen.
    What a kitchen doing in in the bike storage room? :)

Here's a frood who knows where his towel is.
    FSTJ0LZGB5HD5M1.LARGE.jpg

:)
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    We just built a wall mounted bike rack in the kitchen.
    What a kitchen doing in in the bike storage room? :)

Here's a frood who knows where his towel is.
    FSTJ0LZGB5HD5M1.LARGE.jpg

:)

I believe I just got served! That is a lovely collection and it really ties the room together.

I only have room for 3 in my tiny space. There are 2 more in the basement and a fat bike bike is usually sitting somewhere very inconvenient. The man is trying to convince me we don't need a dining table. I'm not sold.

1902940_10202391484481887_1971729254_n_zps1903600b.jpg
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Poor C-dale having to share space with Treks [/snobbery]

:D
  • sillygoosie
    Options
    :angry: Well I'm a Trek snob, so there! I only got the Cannondale because Trek's comparable bike was fugly.
  • Lard_Vader
    Lard_Vader Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    You don't need a MTB or CX bike for gravel. Ride what ya got! In my profile pic I am on a Binachi 928 carbon, I can ride just about anything gravel or dirt on it. I recently purchased a Giant TCX SLR (I wanted disk brakes and clearance to run 28s--I run 25s now).

"Gravel" is my middle name.
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    You don't need a MTB or CX bike for gravel. Ride what ya got! In my profile pic I am on a Binachi 928 carbon, I can ride just about anything gravel or dirt on it. I recently purchased a Giant TCX SLR (I wanted disk brakes and clearance to run 28s--I run 25s now).

It takes some serious handling skills to ride gravel well on a road bike with skinnies (to me, skinny is anything 700x28 or narrower). I wish I could, but it would be a death trap for me. Hence I went with a disc cross frame (an affordable one) that can accomodate knobby 700x42's.
  • ihadabadidea
    ihadabadidea Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I used to live in the country, which meant any ride involved dirt. The only issue I had with my old 3 speed were pinch flats thanks to a combination of 1 3/8" tires and large rocks in the roadway, while I'd ride my road bikes straight to the nearest pavement, about 1/2 a mile. Now that I'm in town, I have no problem with my clyde frame on better-kept trails with 700x28 commuter tires. The same goes for my wife on her cruiser tire-equipped hybrid.
  • Lard_Vader
    Options

It takes some serious handling skills to ride gravel well on a road bike with skinnies (to me, skinny is anything 700x28 or narrower). I wish I could, but it would be a death trap for me. Hence I went with a disc cross frame (an affordable one) that can accomodate knobby 700x42's.

Very true. MTB skillz die hard. I ride 700x25s and am just as fast in gravel as I am on roads. The roads down here are ****ty are also, so I like the mix of all (and dirt). The thing I tell everyone on riding skinny in gravel "Let the bike go where it wants to and just give it a slight nudge from time to time. Otherwise you'll become one with the gravel intimately...!!!" Really, it's like riding a MTB in the sand.
  • AlwaysInMotion
    Options
    Ha! Sand is soft. Gravel not so much! If you can stay upright on gravel with a skinny tire bike, a tip of the helmet to you! I've also watched a small handful of very skilled riders take their 'cross bikes out on rough singletrack - but that's just showing off!
  • sillygoosie
    Options
    I've decided that this is what I want.

http://salsacycles.com/bikes/2014_vaya_3

But what I want and what I can have are two different things. :grumble: It's about $1500 at my LBS
  • AlwaysInMotion
    Options
    I've decided that this is what I want.

http://salsacycles.com/bikes/2014_vaya_3

But what I want and what I can have are two different things. :grumble: It's about $1500 at my LBS

The Vaya is a great bike - and it's so versatile, and it will last forever! Might be something worth saving for...

When I find a bike I really like, I start saving... If you can eek out $100 in savings a month, you could get there in a little over a year. I don't know your situation, but I started bike commuting to work 2-3 times a week last year (April > Nov) and saved a ridiculous amount on gas! (Like $15-20 a week!) And some of that $$$ went to my new bike build...
  • sillygoosie
    Options
    Just signed up for my first 50 mile gravel ride...on Saturday. Oh *kitten*. I'll be doing it on my dreaded mtn bike. Hopefully the new Salsa will be mine soon. Decided on the Warbird.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Can you put drop bars on your mountain bike?
  • sillygoosie
    Options

I talked to my LBS guys and its pretty costly to convert to drops. Besides, just look at this little lovely.

http://salsacycles.com/bikes/2014_warbird_3

She haunts my dreams.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

I talked to my LBS guys and its pretty costly to convert to drops. Besides, just look at this little lovely.

She haunts my dreams.

Yeah, I googled it after I posted. I hadn't thought about the difference in the shifters and brakes and stuff. I was just thinking as a temporary solution to get you through Saturday.
  • Lard_Vader
    Options

She haunts my dreams.

Buddy of mine has a Warbird, great bike and brand. Back in the day I had a Caballero FS mtb. I think the Warbird's a good mix-up for roads (smooth & rough) and gravel. Sort of like an ATV, but Roubaixish on the skinny.