General notes March 18th, 2014'

JeffseekingV
JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
I've been trying to cut the calories a bit to lose another 5lbs. Decided to cut about 150 calories per day.(1 month so far) I should specify here that the calories I decided to cut was the protein drink/shakes I would normally have. That represented approx. 30 grams or protein + whatever other micronutrients it contained)

Results have been so so. What I've noticed that the recovery times have increased and my strength has gone down a bit.

Bench hasn't gone up and is stalled at 225lbs for a 1-2 count.

Squats have really taken a dive. I remember doing 275 for reps of 5 and doing 315 for singles/doubles. Now 275lbs feels like a ton of bricks.

Deads have been okay but I haven't really pushed them. It's usually 315 for a 5 count and leave it there. But lately I've gone down to 275lbs for a 5 count. (max as 385 lbs for a single, no belt).

Left shoulder has been tender. Could be from the stupid incline bench and too narrow of a grip. ( 1 month so far)

Also have been battling either a glute or upper hamstring attachment injury. I can still lift and play ball but it's sore after and it's hampering my lifts. Lunges on the right side and 1 legged leg presses on the right leg are noticeably weaker vs the left. (probably at the 2 month mark now)

Just needed to log this for reference but any suggestions would be helpful.

Replies

• JeffseekingV
    Ran intervals again today. Didn't do as well this time. But will see how I feel in the next few days. Will skip bball this week
  • JeffseekingV
    Fri March 21st. Still pretty sore from the intervals. Maybe I'm doing too many of them
  • JeffseekingV
    Sat March 22nd. Bench was weak. Could only do 205 for 4 count x 2. Left shoulder still tender
  • JeffseekingV
    April 1st notes: In an attempt to see if higher protein and vitamin intakes will have a positive effect on DOMS recovery, I'll continue my leg routine of squat/power cleans/deads and add leg press.

But will significantly add protein though whey shakes and maybe double the multi-vitamin for the next 2-3 days.
  • JeffseekingV
    April 2nd. Woke up and wasn't nearly as sore. But as usual, I got more sore during the day. Ate 60 grams of protein from 2 drinks. Also took 2 multi-vitamins in the morning. Did light chest, biceps, triceps and hip thrusts. Felt okay and not sore during the workouts.

So far, I'm not nearly as sore as previous months when my protein/vitamin was much lower. Hope to report a positive effect tomorrow when DOMS should be the worst.
  • JeffseekingV
    April 3rd 4:00pm. 2nd day of DOMS. Took a double scoop of whey protein for breakfast. No vitamins. Still sore but I feel it's a manageable and less sore than previous times. So I think it's working. A better test will be a the next few days. If I'm get over DOMS within 1 day, I should have proven the protein is helping. I'm actually doing less cardio this week due to time limitations.

Still 33 grams of protein down so I'll have to drink down a Costco protein drink later. 30 grams
  • JeffseekingV
    To review what I was trying to research:
    1) Protein intake and recovery time for DOMS
    2) Was the increased recovery from DOMS from the slight additional calorie deficit of about 100-150 calories or was it because the additional calorie deficit removed too much protein from my daily requriements?
    3) So to test 2), I increased the protein intake to 150 grams and tried to maintain the same net calorie deficit from the last few months.

April 4th, Friday. My DOMS is every so slightly there. But it's pretty much done. I wouldn't feel hindered at all to anything. In the past, I'd still be hobbling around a bit. Or I'd have to do some extra warm up time to get though the DOMS. ie.. get ready for bball or jogging. This is probably mirrors the recovery time of most who have DOMS. In my case, it extended well beyond 2 days. More like 4.

In conclusion, I think I've proven (to myself at least) that protein intake does make a significant change in recovery in terms of DOMS. Especially in a deficit. But remember, at the beginning of this "experiment" , it was found that my protein intake was well below what I was thinking I should be taking. Probably ave 90-100 grams of protein for let's say the last 1-2 months.

This week, I made an effort to take in at least 150 grams of protein on ave. I don't know if taking any MORE than this would further reduce DOMS. But I feel that if your protein intake is insufficient during a deficit. It WILL increase your recovery from DOMS.
  • JeffseekingV
    April 7th. 2nd week of lifting heavy and trying to get 150g of protein. I lifted from 5:30 to 6:30 and I'm already sore at 10pm. lol
  • JeffseekingV
    Tues Apri 8th. Had 2 scoops of Gold Std whey for breakfast. Still sore but not too bad.
  • JeffseekingV
    Wed April 9th. Had 1 scoop of protein, milk & banana. Wanted to wait until mid morning at least as that's when DOMS for the day creeps in while I'm sitting at work. I swear sitting makes DOMS worse by a significant amount.

Last night I did light chest, biceps, heavy triceps, weighted hip thrusts and supermans. Little or no cardio.

Today, the DOMS is basically gone. Still a touch sore but for 2nd day DOMS, this is WAY better than before.

Note: Only change was upping protein. Tried to keep the calories, exercises the same as always. If not adding more to make sure of getting DOMS.

Note: Casually tracking strength. Off hand, it seems good. Not sure if it has affected strength at all. Not yet
  • JeffseekingV
    Ran intervals again tonight 10 sets 20 sec each. Felt better this week. Although I skipped last week. Sore but will see how I feel tomorrow
  • JeffseekingV
    Today my legs / hams feel like someone stabbed them with a knife. Will load up on the protein and see how they feel tomorrow for bball
  • JeffseekingV
    April 10th. Ran light bball with the kids yest. Feel better today. Will see how full on bball goes tomorrow
  • JeffseekingV
    Friday April 11th. Hams were really still sore. Could run okay for a few games but my shot was really off. No vertical at all. Monday April 14th and they are still sore despite the increased protein. Probably from upping the intensity too much.
  • JeffseekingV
    Decided to do legs today (mon) to give me some extra recovery time. Eased up on squats (225 x 8) same cleans (135lbs), lighter deads (275 x 8). Super'd leg press with quad raisers(machine). Did 15 min of jumprope (1 min x 15). And did some bball shooting.

Will see how the DOMs goes
  • JeffseekingV
    April 15th. Did chest / back after leg day. Strength didn't seem as good understandably as I did shoulders. Did light run 1 mile and some jump rope to try to decrease DOMS.
  • JeffseekingV
    Skipped intervals this week. Will do light cardio after work today (thurs) and see how I feel fri at bball

Ran a very light 2 miles. Did supersets of 1 min jump rope / pull ups for about 20 min. Shot bball for 15 min
  • JeffseekingV
    Did chest day sat since gym is closed today. Did intervals sun in Easter. 2.1 miles. 10 sets @ 15 sec each
  • JeffseekingV
    Mon. Did legs. 275lbs squat for a 4 count. 315lb dead for a 4 count. Normal power cleans, leg press, leg extensions etc... but walked with my daughter after. Will monitor doms. But so far today, legs feel sore but not too bad
  • JeffseekingV
    Wed. DOMS is there but legs feel pretty good. This was also after doing my light chest/tri/bi/hip thrusts and adding calf jumps.

Weather permitting, I'll try intervals for the 2nd time tonight

Notes: Protein intake is only been ave around 90 grams per day for the last week or so. Only thing I can say is on leg day and the day after, I've been making sure to take a protein supplement (30 g) at least once or twice
  • JeffseekingV
    May 2nd. Normal leg day this week (mon). sore as hell but felt okay thurs. Skipped intervals Wed but went for a job. Thurs morn/afternoon shot baskets for light cardio. Friday feel almost normal. Will see how bball goes tonight.

Added 1 set to each light chest and am actually sort of sore from that.
  • JeffseekingV
    July 29th tues. Did a 225lb bench for 3 and a friend suggesting a try a single at 230lbs. Went up smooth. Need to try for 235 lbs next week