New to running

Options
HI, I want to start running. I have tried before but stopped because of shin splints. I have been eating clean for 2 weeks now. No processed foods, no dairy, no sugar, no gluten. I want to lose 20 pounds by June. I am 52 and had a hysterectomy just over a year ago. I am only 5' and curvy. The other thing I struggle with is running to "no where". Any suggestions? Thanks!

Replies

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Are you following the C25K program? If so, you're on your way to becoming a runner. Take it slow....very slow. Most people try to go too fast and can't make it. If you feel winded and can't get your breath, slow down.
    Have you had yourself fit for a pair of running shoes? Good fitting, new shoes may help with shin splints.
    By "running to nowhere", do you mean that you train on a treadmill? They are difficult. It's easier with some form of entertainment. Can you watch a TV while on it? Listen to music or an audiobook. That helps, too.
    Running will help your fitness but won't do much for weight loss. That's mainly diet controlled.

Welcome to the group!
  • tabbyblack13
    tabbyblack13 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I just started a C25K program. Good shoes can be expensive but are worth it. If it helps, you try shoes on in the stores then look on amazon.com to get a better price. I'm also training on a treadmill right now which can be gentler on your joints. Also remember your rest days. That way you can recover and build up your muscles.

I also use a HRM to count my calories. It has a chest band that is more accurate then the wrist sensors. It also takes into account my weight and height to help count the calories.
  • snappingosprey
    snappingosprey Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Second the good pair of running shoes.

Find a running or fitness store for proper fit (avoid sporting stores, department stores, etc).

You'll likely pay around $120-$160 for a pair of good running shoes. I don't consider that expensive at all. We are all just so use to buying our $30 "sneakers" that anything above $50 seems expensive.

I always struggled with back problems running, which is why I never enjoyed it - turns out my shoes were all junk and not proper "fitting".

Found a local running store that spent an hour with me, watching me walk first to assess my posture and feet positioning, then helped me through 4 different pair of running shoes before I settled on one that felt comfortable. Best $120 I ever spent. No more pain in my feet or back.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Also, make sure you get enough carbs as you start running more.