New to Powerlifting - n00b question

Options
Hey all! Two Questions.

1.) Is Wilks a decent way to compare strength between weight classes / sexes? Is there a different, preferred method? It looks like that's the method the Maryland State Powerlifting Assoc. uses - curious if that's standard.

2.) What's your Wilks? (squat/bench/deadlift) Mine is 192.87, got a looooong way to go. Looking for a goal to shoot for.

Replies

• jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    my wilkes is 296.74... as for comparison not sure.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Wilks is a decent way to compare strength between weight classes, but it's far from perfect. I've read that it's only supposed to be used for totals though. Meaning it doesn't really work just to compare a few different peoples bench Wilks for example. I'm under the impression it's not really good for comparing genders, but I can't remember why right now so I could be full of crap.

My current wilks is 292.19 from my first meet in December. I never think about my goals in terms of wilks, although someday getting >400 would be amazing.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Wilks is probably the best overall strength comparator between weight classes but, like another poster mentioned, doesn't translate well between genders. I think it skews on upper body strength affecting the bench portion of the total. Also, like another mentioned, it is really designed for use with totals as those are the numbers that were compiled.

Having said that, I have a wilks app on my phone and use it to compare my own lifts. I dropped 12lbs last year and my lifts dropped as well. At 135 my deadlift was 315. At 123 it is 305. To make myself feel better, I whip out my wilks app and see that 305 at 123 is the wilks equivalent of 330 at 135 so BAM I'm a rock star :)

My total wilks at my last two meets were:
    426 equipped
    330 unequipped (the meet that I dropped the weight for - 12lbs in 3 1/2 weeks)
  • Loss4TheWin
    Loss4TheWin Posts: 249
    Options
    Wilks is probably the best overall strength comparator between weight classes but, like another poster mentioned, doesn't translate well between genders. I think it skews on upper body strength affecting the bench portion of the total. Also, like another mentioned, it is really designed for use with totals as those are the numbers that were compiled.

Having said that, I have a wilks app on my phone and use it to compare my own lifts. I dropped 12lbs last year and my lifts dropped as well. At 135 my deadlift was 315. At 123 it is 305. To make myself feel better, I whip out my wilks app and see that 305 at 123 is the wilks equivalent of 330 at 135 so BAM I'm a rock star :)

My total wilks at my last two meets were:
    426 equipped
    330 unequipped (the meet that I dropped the weight for - 12lbs in 3 1/2 weeks)

330 raw? You're my new hero. <3
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    290 raw. That and a $1 will get me 1/3 of a cup of coffee.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Wilks is pretty much the best.

My gym PR wilks is 350 (raw)

My meet PR wilks is 329 (raw).
  • juliewatkin
    Options

I love wilks too. I'm not a big person (123lbs) so often I only have my wilks to hold onto. My gym one would be 358. Maybe someday the stars will align and I'll see that in a meet but I long ago learned that they rarely do :).
  • gweneddk
    gweneddk Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    My Wilks for my 2nd meet was 288, but theoretically I should be capable of hitting 312 based on gym PRs.

Honestly the best motivator for me was to set relative strength goals, ie: 1.5xBW squat, 1x BW BP, 2x BW DL. DL is the only one I haven't gotten yet, and I might hit 1.75x BW Squat before I hit the 2xBW DL. So basically the same concept of the way Wilks is calculating a relative strength but a less complicated formula.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I love wilks too. I'm not a big person (123lbs) so often I only have my wilks to hold onto. My gym one would be 358. Maybe someday the stars will align and I'll see that in a meet but I long ago learned that they rarely do :).

I competed in a USAPL meet last month, and while the numbers above are not adjusted for it, they actually adjust for age as well to get to a wilks total for the meet. Kind of cool for me as I only started powerlifting at 45 and competing at 46.

I hear you re the gym v meets. My bench has the worse transition from my gym workouts (even paused) to a meet. I just cannot seem to get anywhere near my max at a meet so far. I have a meet next month, so hopefully I can get some improvement then.
  • juliewatkin
    Options
    My Wilks for my 2nd meet was 288, but theoretically I should be capable of hitting 312 based on gym PRs.

Honestly the best motivator for me was to set relative strength goals, ie: 1.5xBW squat, 1x BW BP, 2x BW DL. DL is the only one I haven't gotten yet, and I might hit 1.75x BW Squat before I hit the 2xBW DL. So basically the same concept of the way Wilks is calculating a relative strength but a less complicated formula.

That's not a bad way to look at it but it favours lighter lifters. I can rep 2x bw deadlift and 1.5 bd squat easily because I'm so light. Heavier lifters are at a disadvantage in that respect. Wilks is calculated taking that into account.
  • juliewatkin
    Options

I competed in a USAPL meet last month, and while the numbers above are not adjusted for it, they actually adjust for age as well to get to a wilks total for the meet. Kind of cool for me as I only started powerlifting at 45 and competing at 46.

I hear you re the gym v meets. My bench has the worse transition from my gym workouts (even paused) to a meet. I just cannot seem to get anywhere near my max at a meet so far. I have a meet next month, so hopefully I can get some improvement then.

Another middle aged starter :). I started at 42 and now compete M2 (50 plus) I swear lifting keeps the clock on age from moving so quickly.
  • milileitner
    milileitner Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    My meet Wilks PR is 343 (raw). Should hit 360 in 2 weeks time at next meet.
  • gweneddk
    gweneddk Posts: 183 Member
    Options

That's not a bad way to look at it but it favours lighter lifters. I can rep 2x bw deadlift and 1.5 bd squat easily because I'm so light. Heavier lifters are at a disadvantage in that respect. Wilks is calculated taking that into account.

You are totally right, Wilks helps adjust for that when comparing oneself to other lifters. I guess for me powerlifting is mostly just about improving my own performance, though. As I've been (slowly) losing fat while building strength, both weight loss and strength gains get me closer to my goals. And once I hit 1.5BW squat, I just made a new goal to get 1.75xBW squat, and then can go for 2xBW squat, and so on :)
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Wilks for the last powerlifting meet over 15 years ago. @165lbs.

At age 46, at 170lbs. With all lifts raw