So far I love keto

Options
rlengland2014
rlengland2014 Posts: 98 Member
I don't understand why people who aren't doing keto on MFP are so negative and disparaging about the keto lifestyle. I have heard some people talk about "carb rage", which is funny, but also real? ;)
You know the commercial about snickers, where they have a kid acting crazy and then after a bite of snickers, they are back to normal? "You're not yourself when you're hungry" is the tag line. On keto, I'm never like that. One good reason to stay!
The other thing I hear a lot is people saying you NEED carbs. Umm, no you don't. Gluconeogenesis takes care of that. Why do you think that your body prefers to use carbs as fuel? Because it's trying to save the fat for a time when you're out of carbs. If you just calorie restrict, the only fat you'll burn is the small amount when you're under calories. If you are limiting carbs, your body adjusts to burn fat instead of carbs, which I prefer. ;).
Ok, just had to rant a little today. Thanks for listening.

Replies

• parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    You'll find /r/keto and particularly /r/ketogains on Reddit to be more educated communities when it comes to keto diets. MFP is basically dedicated to an IIFYM approach where people love to brag about eating (what I would consider) ****ty food like Taco Bell. I personally don't care what other people choose to eat, but that cannot be said for many people on these forums (although why they care I can't understand).

I still like to use MFP to track macros and frequent the forums more than I should, but just understand there's a clear bias towards IIFYM and a bias against diets like a low carb diet.
  • rlengland2014
    rlengland2014 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have seen reddit, and you're right it has a more pleasant environment with fewer judge mental people. I mostly use MFP to track my macros, which has been very helpful.
  • parkscs
    Options
    /r/keto is the more popular sub-reddit but you also find more ignorant posters there. It's not uncommon to see people vilifying carbs, proclaiming that calories don't matter, and other nonsense - in short, people that treat keto almost like a religion (we're right, they're wrong, carbs are evil, etc.) rather than simply one way out of many to eat. /r/ketogains is a smaller group of people but in my experience you see more educated posters there.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    /r/keto is the more popular sub-reddit but you also find more ignorant posters there. It's not uncommon to see people vilifying carbs, proclaiming that calories don't matter, and other nonsense - in short, people that treat keto almost like a religion (we're right, they're wrong, carbs are evil, etc.) rather than simply one way out of many to eat. /r/ketogains is a smaller group of people but in my experience you see more educated posters there.

The church of keto disapproves of your shenanigans. As penance, you must eat a pound of bacon. ;)
  • parkscs
    Options
    The last time I suggested a low carb diet might not be right for everyone, the keto priest said I must do one Our Butter and 5 Hail Bacons as penance. :wink:
  • Skoster1
    Skoster1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    The last time I suggested a low carb diet might not be right for everyone, the keto priest said I must do one Our Butter and 5 Hail Bacons as penance. :wink:

So... Breakfast? ;-)