New member and feeling hopeless

Options
Hey all!

I have hypothyroid and have for 10 years. I've been hard core working out 6 days a week 2 hours a day and eating 1500 cal. It scares me to see that most of u only lose at reducing your cal intake to 1200 or 1000 that's a crazy way to eat! I'm starting to feel like this disease is going to destroy me physically and mentally. I feel like there's no hope. Am I wrong it seems the only way people even slightly control this is by being drastic I want to enjoy life but right now it's like I'm obsessing just to maintain!

Please help

Replies

• Bullybear05
    Bullybear05 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    That is so weird. For the last 3 months I have been training and dieting and have only lost 2 pounds. I do feel better and think I look better, but to be honest i'm pretty upset by the lack of weight loss. I've been told by my Doctor that having hypothyroidism wouldn't affect my weight loss.

I am feeling a little bit lost and not sure what I need to do. Is this a common thing with hypothyroidism and is it possible to lose weight normally with the condition??
  • smhcampbell23
    Options
    I would agree that I generally don't lose much if I don't cut calories drastically. However, after a lot of recent research with the additional issues I've been having there are some serious dieting restrictions on even healthy foods that can help make a big difference! I am starting them today to see what happens! There are foods that block your thryoid from producing TSH like broccoli, brussel sprouts, spinach, strawberries - crazy right! You MUST COOK these foods before eating them! It takes away that quality that prevents your TSH. Also if you have any of the bowel symptoms that are common for HT patients to develop then there is a lot of people that find relief going gluten free, as well as cutting out high glycemic fruits ect. It's pretty overwhelming but with all the work I've don ein the past 7 months I'm not going to let this stall (long long stall) at the same weight stop me. I'm going to adjust my diet accordingly and continue to until I find what works! Fingers crossed this works!
  • rpnchar
    rpnchar Posts: 2
    Options
    I can't believe your Dr. Doesn't think that being hypo can cause a slower metabolism that equals weight gain and difficulty losing that weight. I've been hypo for two years and have put on 40 pounds. I recently switched from synthroid to dessicated thyroid and I have found some energy returning & I've lost 5 pounds in 2 weeks. I would suggest asking your family Dr for a referral to an endocrinologist.
  • smhcampbell23
    Options
    So I've been doing a lot of research lately because my progress has been slow, but steady. Sometimes much slower than I had hoped. I found there are a LOT of foods that can effect your thyroid and cause problems for you. So I'm limiting those food, even foods that strike you as healthy can have a negative effect. Biggest difference has been staying away from gluten. In one week of no gluten(no worries I ate well regardless of what people think) and I lost 3lbs. My usual weight loss per week is .2-1lb and 1lb is on the high side of that. I'm going to see what happens during week two and I'll report back! Also making sure to control my weekend this weekend and not lose the success of the week by over eating, eating the wrong things, and being lazy like normal lol! There is no easy answer for thyroid and weight loss and no two people experience it the same so I would do research and try everythign untill something works for you!
  • MPM26
    MPM26 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    rpnchar - what does of armour are you on? I was just put on 2 weeks ago and haven't lost weight. Have more energy but haven't lose weight yet :-(