Insanity with other workouts: is there a way to balance?

Options
jnfrmcc
jnfrmcc Posts: 3 Member
Does anyone have experience with doing both insanity and other workouts? If so, do you cut back on the other workouts or sometimes miss an insanity workout? Is there a good way to balance it? Or do you do the insanity religiously?

I have kicked off insanity several times in the past but never stuck to it. I am starting it again this week. I want to continue gaining fitness to help with my upcoming endurance horseback riding season. I've worked a lot on flexibility/agility in the off season but I seem to be lacking in the cardio dept.

I already do some regular workouts that I would like to keep:
- pilates class (50min) Mon, Thurs.
- yoga (50 min) Sat

My riding schedule (avg 90 min rides):
Weds, Fri, Sat or Sun

This would leave me with Tues as my off day if I truly take a complete rest day.

Replies

• starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Honestly I originally did month one of insanity. got kinda bored with it and broke into lifting. Now I use it to pitch-hit in the week if I can't make it to the gym. I think its great if you need HIIT in your workout schedule. I would totally use it with other things.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I just do insanity a couple of times a week for cardio.
  • tmcoyle
    tmcoyle Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I have done Insanity/P90X Hybrid from beginning to end and I REALLY gained a lot of muscle definition and strength with this. I also ride horse EVERY day 3-5 hours a day and I still fit this into my morning routine. I also work full-time outside the home, so time management is the biggest key to getting it all done. When you are doing an intense workout like this you need to make sure you are eating enough calories as this is intense and you don't want to go into starvation mode. I also was on the fat shredder nutrition plan of 50% protein, 30% cars and 20% fat and that helped me see the muscle definition. You can friend me and take a look at my nutrition to get an idea of what I'm eating.