Sore calves

Options
pmur
pmur Posts: 223 Member
Hi all,
I completed the c25k program on March 2nd. I have been running 2.7-3 miles thrice weekly since I completed the program. I did majority of the program on an indoor track. I started running outside a couple of weeks ago. After yesterday's run, I seem to have a tight/sore/achy feeling in my legs. I would like to say calves but its lower(above the ankle) and on the right side. It comes and goes and a good massage and ice/heat made it better. Is this something of concern. I've already cancelled my running plans for tomorrow.

Btw, I wear a Nike Pegasus and got fitted for it from a proper running store in the area.

Replies

• romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    If you are wearing the same shoes you wore indoors I don't think it would be your shoes. Maybe you were running on an uneven surface? Or maybe if you are running on the road the road slopes to the side (for drainage) and this is making you run unevenly? Maybe the start of shin splints, they are usually at the front but I had them at the sides. You are doing the correct thing with ice, massage and rest, that seems to cure most running problems!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Is it sore enough to change your gait? If it is, you might want to see a sports medicine practitioner to figure out what is going on and how to prevent it.

If it's not sore enough to change your gait, be diligent about rolling and stretching. Not just your calf area, stretch and roll your feet, quads and hamstrings. As a runner, you will spend a fair amount of time studying anatomical diagrams to see what might be an issue. One thing you will notice is that all those muscles, from your hamstring to your plantar facia, are integrated. So a tight area can affect the whole shebang.

Hot/tight/achy is my flag to take an ice bath but, for a lot of people, the words "ice bath" and the words "a big can of no" are synonymous. Which is ok, but I'm still going to put the idea out there.

You can see why we don't post all this on the C25K board :)
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Also, Romy is probably right about the uneven surface.
  • pmur
    Options
    Romy,
    Thanks for the pointer. I should pay attention to the road. There are a few baby hills on the trail I run but I haven't noticed the trail or pavements sloping to one side. The pain is on one leg so it must be something like that! I'll pay attention to it next time.

Varda,
    It isn't altering anything because I didn't feel it while running. It's only afterwards that I feel it. I was wondering if 3 miles were too much but I'm not huffing/puffing or pushing myself too hard(except for on the hills where I still am not used to it). I was debating going back indoors until I hit the 4-5 miles mark but I know this is something I have to tackle and sooner the better!

I have an ongoing neck/shoulder issue and as luck would have it my doc is a sports doc. I see him on Monday. I'll ask him about the leg.

I keep getting conflicting info about stretching before runs. Some people say do it, some day don't. I used to do some static stretches after warm up walks and after cool down walks as well. Now, the folks in my running group asked me to stretch only after cool down. I was told by someone else that static stretches are bad. I tried looking up YouTube videos for dynamic stretches but couldn't find any good ones. I learned static stretches from YouTube videos.
    I did forget the foam roll for a while now. I did it this morning and am already feeling better.
  • pmur
    Options
    Btw, what is an ice bath?
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I do warm ups: legs swings, high knees, butt kicks, a dynamic calf stretch, lunges.

I stretch three days a week too, but not before running or weight training. I've started to use the stretches on KatySays.com because I find them effective.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    You fill a bathtub hip deep with cold water and then dump a few pounds of ice in. Then you soak for as long as you can stand it. It's supposed to remove the swelling away from damaged tissue in a way that promotes recovery/stimulates muscle building in a way that popping pain relievers does not.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Is it your Achilles? You can stretch that (gently) after your run by putting your toes up on the wall while keeping your heel on the floor. You want to be careful not to over-stretch it. You can also strain your Achilles if you're too aggressive in stretching your calves. I was having pain there when I switched from outdoor running to treadmill running over the winter, and those were my trainer's suggestions.

If I stretch before I run I only do dynamic stretches as well - usually some leg swings (front to back & side to side) and heel/toe raises (where you roll back & forth). I do them after my warm-up walk and before I start to run (usually while my Garmin finishes locating the satellite). I'll do static stretches afterward, although I'm not nearly as good about it as I should be.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I've started keeping a tennis ball in my purse, so I can roll out my back in morning traffic and can hit my piriformis in my office chair.
  • pmur
    Options
    You fill a bathtub hip deep with cold water and then dump a few pounds of ice in. Then you soak for as long as you can stand it. It's supposed to remove the swelling away from damaged tissue in a way that promotes recovery/stimulates muscle building in a way that popping pain relievers does not.
    Yikes! I live in TX and can't think of doing this just yet!!
  • pmur
    Options
    Is it your Achilles? You can stretch that (gently) after your run by putting your toes up on the wall while keeping your heel on the floor. You want to be careful not to over-stretch it. You can also strain your Achilles if you're too aggressive in stretching your calves. I was having pain there when I switched from outdoor running to treadmill running over the winter, and those were my trainer's suggestions.

If I stretch before I run I only do dynamic stretches as well - usually some leg swings (front to back & side to side) and heel/toe raises (where you roll back & forth). I do them after my warm-up walk and before I start to run (usually while my Garmin finishes locating the satellite). I'll do static stretches afterward, although I'm not nearly as good about it as I should be.
    Laura,
    I don't think its Achilles. I looked at pictures online. It looks like a minor version of shin splint. Went away when I foam rolled religiously twice for two days.
    I'm going to start dynamic stretches soon. Let me look at the youtube videos!

Thanks!
  • pmur
    Options
    I've started keeping a tennis ball in my purse, so I can roll out my back in morning traffic and can hit my piriformis in my office chair.
    I've been using the tennis ball for my shoulder blades! Helps immensely.
  • pmur
    Options
    I ran 2.8 miles today on the same route that I run outdoors. I wanted to complete 3 miles but got poofed by the last hill. I'm going to go the distance in a week or so!
    The trail didn't have any noticeable slopes. I don't feel any pain after today's run though. Hope to keep it this way.

How do you feel about Hal Higdon's novice 10k program. Do you think I can do it? I'm thinking of doing that making today's run my first or second from that program.
  • romyhorse
    Options
    I think there are a couple of people in the group who have used that plan, I am pretty sure Rindy did. You would probably get more feedback if you posted a new topic about it or asked in the Daily Check In thread.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try to hit all the topics mentioned...

Ice baths: terrible while you're in them, AMAZING once you're out. I've done them after every 15+ mile run and I love how much less stiff and sore I feel later and the following few days.

Static stretching before a run: NO, should be dynamic warm ups. You can search for videos on YouTube and find some great ideas. Once you do them a few times you'll remember how to do them and you can just do them outside before your run. Static stretches should be post run, but like someone already said be easy on yourself. The purpose is to prevent tightness not to completely release the muscle necessarily. You should do easy light stretching if you're doing it immediately after your run. For me personally I have found yoga (stretching) and foam rolling to typically be more effective a few-several hours after my run if I spend about 5 mins right after the run. If you don't have a foam roller I would honestly say stop running until you get one. Mine has been magical. It will hurt so good. ????

Also I would say sometimes I do have "one off" runs, seemingly unexplainable tightness or soreness. If I spend enough time I can usually find the culprit--not enough sleep, inadequate carbs/fuel/electrolytes, dehydration, sitting too soon, lacing too loose or too tight, uneven sidewalks/trails, etc. etc. You're fortunate to have a sports medicine Dr., I would say never hesitate to mention anything irregular to them. Soreness can be normal, pain typically isn't normal. Here's to staying healthy, strong & injury free!

ETA: oh and regarding the distance or increasing distance; if you're struggling to hit 3 miles consistently you may need to SLOW DOWN. You definitely want to slow down if you're adding distance. I run an 8 minute mile, but I certainly don't run an 8:00 pace over 20 miles.
  • pmur
    Options
    Thanks libeesmommy!
    I looked up some dynamic stretches on YouTube. I'll do that the next time. Thanks for pointing it out.
    My soreness is completely gone away. I'm sure it's the hills. When I run the track indoor, I don't have the issue.

My doc thinks I need to take it slow outside until I get used to the terrain too. I'll keep checking my pace. The problem is I don't know my pace is fast until I finish. While I'm running I feel I'm just fine :)
  • likitisplit
    Options
    You do need to scale back if you make any change (foot strike, Indoors to out, out to in, whatever).
  • romyhorse
    Options

My doc thinks I need to take it slow outside until I get used to the terrain too. I'll keep checking my pace. The problem is I don't know my pace is fast until I finish. While I'm running I feel I'm just fine :)

The sole reason I bought a smart phone was so that I could download an app to tell me my pace and distance as I was running, I would still be happily using my old push button mobile phone if I hadn't started running, lol!
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    Options

The sole reason I bought a smart phone was so that I could download an app to tell me my pace and distance as I was running, I would still be happily using my old push button mobile phone if I hadn't started running, lol!

It's the only reason I own a $200+ watch. Lol. ????????????
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    Options
    Thanks libeesmommy!
    I looked up some dynamic stretches on YouTube. I'll do that the next time. Thanks for pointing it out.
    My soreness is completely gone away. I'm sure it's the hills. When I run the track indoor, I don't have the issue.

You're welcome! Slow is the new fast! ????