Lifting with varicose veins

Options
Binnee95
Binnee95 Posts: 93 Member
Hi everybody,

I have about 75-80 pounds to lose and want to try strength training. I have begun with 2 pound dumbbells and have only done some lifts I saw in a DVD called Lifting Weights for Dummies. In the past I had lost 55 pounds and was left with a lot of flabby skin. At that point I wasn't trying to lose weight-due to a health issue I had been on prednisone for quite a while and then when I came off the pills and started feeling a bit better, the weight sort of just came off.

I want to try heavier weights and other DVDs or maybe even try lifting in a gym but I am afraid of hurting or causing more varicose veins. They are very painful. One of the reasons for my trying to get healthier and lose weight is so that maybe they will feel better.

Has anybody on here been through weight loss and lifting with varicose veins? What is your experience?

Thank you!

Replies

• wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I have horrible varicose veins due to being overweight and spending 9 years in a job that required me to be on my feet 8-10 hours a day. When I say horrible, they are bulging. The ones in the backs of my thighs, you can see the outline through my workout pants. I've been lifting heavy for a few months now with no problems. When I lost about 50 lbs, they started to show more. The doctor said that was common because I was losing the fat around them, so they were protruding more. One day, I hope to have them stripped out, so I can wear shorts and not feel self conscious wearing a bathing suit.
  • Binnee95
    Options
    Thank you for the response. It's good to know that I can lift without harming them.
    I can't believe they are going to show more! I think it isn't possible for them to show anymore than they do already!:sad:
    Like you I am looking forward to getting them stripped or lasered or whatever asap.
  • wolfsbayne
    Options
    I need to add that my veins have never been really painful and when I was looking into having them stripped out, they had to do an ultrasound on them and my deep veins to make sure they were healthy. My deep veins are healthy, it's just the superficial ones closest to the skin that are horrible. They've been hot before and hurt some, but never really painful.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I have really horrible ones on my calves and ankles and some on my thighs. They hurt a lot and get hot when I have to stand in one place too much or sit down too long. They haven't given me any issues related to lifting. They also don't seem to be any more prominent since losing 40lbs. I definitely haven't noticed any new ones, which is one of the main reasons I decided to lose weight. Seemed like I was developing new ones as I got heavier and heavier.
  • Binnee95
    Options
    Yes, I had that ultrasound too. It was a year and a half ago, but everything was fine. I was set up to get a vein out but I lost my insurance!
    Do either of you wear the compression stockings and more importantly, do you wear them when you are lifting? I find them incredibly uncomfortable and have a lot of trouble wearing them.
  • wolfsbayne
    Options
    I've never worn them, though I probably should have when I was standing all those hours. Probably wouldn't have such big varicose veins now :grumble: