Newbie from TX

Options
BanTami
BanTami Posts: 7 Member
Hey!

I am very much a newbie and just learning about the Paleo and Primal way of eating.

A little background - In 2012 I went on MediFast and lost 100 pounds. In 2013 I gained it all back. While I really loved the fast weight loss I just couldn't sustain it as a lifestyle.

Primal/Paleo appeals to me because it really encompasses things that I already love...gardening, raising my chickens and the intention of getting dairy goats and putting in a fishing pond in a couple of years. I even been known to gather wild onions, dewberries and pecans when in season.

Cutting out grains is a challenge but I feel like I've always known they were bad for me...I am diabetic but not severely so.

I plan on incorporating greek style goat milk yogurt into my diet and someone on another site said that was more Primal...it's still confusing to me. It doesn't really matter...maybe I'll call it Primaleo. :D

All advice is welcome.

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I was pre-diabetic too. The only way for that to go, without changing diet, is to get worse. I enjoy a ketogenic Primal/Paleo lifestyle which fits my needs well.

Don't worry about the Primal/Paleo thing, especially if the dairy you consume is raw and unprocessed. Looks like you are aiming for that. Personally, I think commercial dairy is not healthful but I still have some here and there because I don't have access to anything better. I'd be better off not having it at all but I enjoy it. Giving up commercial cream in my coffee was a big step and I don't miss it now at all.

Wild foods are a win. I have a little access to wild meat. I live in the Arctic so edible plant foods are in short supply.

Welcome and I hope you learn to love this lifestyle, and the wonderful health benefits that come along with it. I certainly have.
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Welcome! This is a great group to ask all your questions of. Paleo/Primal are just labels. I don't really know all the differences, but I know dairy is one that "isn't allowed" on paleo. I say I'm following paleo, but will eat dairy a few times a week. I'm not 100%, but do my best (most of the time :smile: )Don't get hung up on the labels - just eat the best quality real food you can!

Check out Mark's Daily Apple for more insight or any slew of books. I think the group has a sticky for good references.

Eat what makes you feel good. You could try a Whole 30 to get started - that's basically how I did it. The only thing I didn't add back in was grains after. Grains were what was wreaking havoc on my digestive system, and on that rare occasion that I'll have something I shouldn't my tummy let's me know it's not happy.

Read, read, read! Ask your questions here (stay away from the open forums!) Good luck with your journey!
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    I am the example of someone being told I'm a borderline diabetic and did nothing about it. Now I am full-blown type 2 and will have to manage my eating for the rest of my life. You're definitely taking the right steps in managing your health and my advice is simple, just stick with it, even when it' gets hard and you feel like crap. This place is a great start in gathering information and gaining support!
  • jeridith
    jeridith Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! Like others have so wisely said, don't get too hung up on the labels :) I include dairy in my diet, but as we are blessed to have a house cow, all my dairy is raw and unprocessed (except by me! :)). I also include grains, as long as they are freshly ground so none of the nutrients are missing (which is more of a traditional/WAPFs style of eating). So I guess that makes me a mixed metaphor eater too. ????

The people here are just lovely and accepting though of everyone's non-SAD (does that make us HAPPY?) eating preferences, and an enormous resource of wisdom and information. I always enjoy new friends, so feel free to add me.
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you started this thread! I have been lurking and even though I consider myself Primal I basically just do the best I can but I am not psychotic about it. The primal label just seems to be the best way to describe what I try to do most of the time. I also sometimes just like to eat those yummy foods that I don't really consider part of my diet right now. For example I had a couple of salami sandwiches on sourdough with mustard and mayo on the weekend! I haven't had one in ages and I think about the nitrites and the white bread and I know it isn't what I want to put in my body on a regular basis but it reminds my of my youth and the flavour was just so great! I loved every bite! LOL. Anyway, It is comforting to find people who are working toward a better healthier diet/life.
  • SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Welcome, I've been doing this for a few months now and it is amazing so far. There are a lot of solid people here to help you if you want it.
  • BanTami
    BanTami Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It's hard for me to do things "half-way" but I'm trying to reteach myself that small changes, over time, can make a big difference.

Since I am in this for a lifestyle change that will also help me lose weight, I'm not going to weigh myself until April 1st. I believe that my belly is already less bloated after just a couple of days of not having grain.

Thank you for the welcome everyone! :)
  • SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Cutting out grains is one of the hardest things most people have to do to adapt to this lifestyle, but it is the best thing anyone can do for a healthier life. There are many books and tons of research on this, what amazed me the most was that it has been stuffed in a corner so efficiently by the promoters of the "Healthy Whole Grains" myth. I have lived for over 5 months with almost no grains and it isn't that difficult if you know the damage it has done us in the past. Look at the recommended reading post if you haven't started one of these books yet I always recommend starting something new with reading about it.