My wife's Uterus is trying to kill my gainz!!!

Options
jdholland5508
jdholland5508 Posts: 162 Member
So my little swimmers have gone and done knocked up my wife(we really are excited). My wife is in med school so she is busy all day and night. This means I'm going to be the primary care giver. My gym is about 30 min away so I don't think I'm going to have the time to drive there and work out. I think my best option is to set up a gym in my basement. I was wonder if you have any advice on what I should get for my home gym and the best ways to get the stuff. Just for reference I currently do a Push/Pull/Legs split with some decent weight so I'm not talking about "you need to buy that sweet *kitten* p90x."

Replies

• jeralank
    jeralank Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    If you have room, you can never go wrong with a squat cage, and an adjustable bench... that would give you enough to handle all your major muscle group exercises, and most of your other basics... From there, its all about choice, IMHO...
  • knot_enough
    knot_enough Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I bet you wouldn't even need an entire cage. Some squat stands are a more cost efficient buy. But with something like that, combined with a decent bench and plates, right there you can do the big 3, squats, bench, and deadlifts, amongst other things
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    If you have room, you can never go wrong with a squat cage, and an adjustable bench... that would give you enough to handle all your major muscle group exercises, and most of your other basics... From there, its all about choice, IMHO...

I vote squat cage just because it will have a provision for safety bars if you need to dump and it will usually have an attachment for pulls ups. I feel pull ups are very important for fitness.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    If you can afford a full cage, get it. Look on Craigslist before you buy something brand new, though. You can often get a great deal from someone who has equipment they want to get rid of quickly. I just have a squat/bench rack, and I use adjustable height steel sawhorses as safety spotters.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    If you can afford a full cage, get it. Look on Craigslist before you buy something brand new, though. You can often get a great deal from someone who has equipment they want to get rid of quickly. I just have a squat/bench rack, and I use adjustable height steel sawhorses as safety spotters.

I agree with this or your could have fun and build your own: http://www.home-gym-bodybuilding.com/homemade-power-rack.html
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    If you can do a squat cage then I vote for that too! My husband built me one out of wood (there are plans online) and I use it in the garage. That, a bench, barbell and weight. Dumbbells you can either get a set of them or use adjustable ones (they take up less space but you might be limited on how heavy you can go with those.)
  • jdholland5508
    jdholland5508 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I was pretty much thinking some sort of rack and bench. Already have a pretty sweet pull-up station. Does anyont have experience with the adjustable dumbells that go up to 125 lbs. I was looking at some videos and they seem super blocky and might not allow good ROM. Also anyone have a good expience with a dip station?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    +1 for either an adjustable squat rack or a power cage. I would not go for a stand as you should have something with safety bars.

Plus, bench, Oly BB and plates (grip plates can double up as DBs in some situations).

I need to find the name of them, but there is a particular type of adjustable DB I would recommend. Will try to find the name (there are 2 main brands out there). They are not as 'bulky' or awkward as the ones you usually find.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

I agree with this or your could have fun and build your own: http://www.home-gym-bodybuilding.com/homemade-power-rack.html

My husband made this for me about a year ago. It works like a charm and is very stable. cost was around 150 bucks if I remember and it took him a couple hours to make.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    $350 got me a great power rack, adjustable bench, 2 oly bars and 310 lbs of plates off of Craigs list. All I've needed since then is more plates. You can dip in the rack with 2 oly bars. Now you have everything you need: 3 main lifts, pullups and dips.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I'm sure your gym has a Kidz Kastle Kare ?
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    For cheap they are on CL, I'd just buy one. Unless you really want to make one and one of you is really handy
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    See this:

Home Gym Buyers Guide
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    +1 for either an adjustable squat rack or a power cage. I would not go for a stand as you should have something with safety bars.

Plus, bench, Oly BB and plates (grip plates can double up as DBs in some situations).

I need to find the name of them, but there is a particular type of adjustable DB I would recommend. Will try to find the name (there are 2 main brands out there). They are not as 'bulky' or awkward as the ones you usually find.

Would love to know the brand as I'm needing new dumbbells for my home gym.

Agree with all the rest. I have small kids and workout in my garage after they go to bed. Wouldn't have it any other way.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    Adjustables are usually expensive. So be sure they are worth the space savings.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Would love to know the brand as I'm needing new dumbbells for my home gym.

Agree with all the rest. I have small kids and workout in my garage after they go to bed. Wouldn't have it any other way.

One of them is Ironmaster

http://bodybuilding.about.com/od/productreviews/fr/IronMaster.htm

There is another similar one - not sure if pricier (and these are not cheap at about $500) or a little less spendy - will link the others when I find them.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Weider makes some adjustable DBs. I have a pair that go up to 25 lbs each. They're not bad, but they sometimes get stuck when trying to adjust them. I can't remember how much I paid for them.