Net carbs ...

Options
Do you count your total carbs as just that ... total carbs ... or do you subtract your carbs from fibre to get your total?

I aim for under 50g of carbs per day, but someone told me that I can take out the carbs from fibre . For example, today so far, I have 39 carbs, but 13 of those are fibre.

Do you count your carbs at 39 or at 26?

Why or why not?

Replies

• albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I use the "net carbs" as my overall result ONLY for things I'm sure of such as veggies, fruit and well-documented grain items.

My own rules are:

Never trust "net carb" marketing claims on a product. It's likely WAY off. (Examples of this are Julian bakery products, Quest bars and others. If it's a processed food item, their fiber claims can be greatly exaggerated.)

Don't subtract sugar alcohols (sorbital, maltitol, etc.) from your carb amounts UNLESS you've tested blood glucose levels several times and notice NO rise in glucose levels from them. Myself, I subtract 1/2 the sugar alcohol amounts as my rise in glucose levels is roughly 1/2 from sugar alcohols as it is from sugar or HFCS.

It's generally safe to subtract fiber amounts from veggies and fruit in the MFP database, IF they are MFP entries - without the " * " symbol.
  • Miamiuu
    Miamiuu Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    If its carbs to me then I avoid it. I just measure total carbs cus i dont have the time to measure things like fiber and Im losing weight anyway.
  • ALNoog
    ALNoog Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I do total carbs... I never use any of the products at all... Bars, meals, shakes and such...

My carbs are 25g a day BUT if I end up at something like 28 and it's veggie carbs I just let it go... But that very rarely happens.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    I do net carbs on the days when I eat lots of nuts, chia seeds and veggies. I usually keep my carbs under 50 or 60 and net carbs under 25-30. Don't be scared to eat nuts and veggies, not the starchy kind.
  • CelebrityStatus
    CelebrityStatus Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the opinions guys ... I just find that it's insanely hard to stay under carbs unless I eat almost no fruit or veggies ... I don't eat pasta/rice/bread/protein bars/etc etc, and don't eat much processed food either. But if I have a grapefruit in the morning, that's 1/2 my total carbs for the day... so if I had a salad at lunch, then I'm over my carbs by noon, and really didn't eat anything "bad".
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I haven't been eating any fruit at all yet and i keep my veggies to green stuff like spinach, broccoli, romaine, etc. I plan on keeping my fruit to berries, which are low carb, when i do start eating them.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the opinions guys ... I just find that it's insanely hard to stay under carbs unless I eat almost no fruit or veggies ... I don't eat pasta/rice/bread/protein bars/etc etc, and don't eat much processed food either. But if I have a grapefruit in the morning, that's 1/2 my total carbs for the day... so if I had a salad at lunch, then I'm over my carbs by noon, and really didn't eat anything "bad".
    I avoid most fruit. FYI there are no vitamins/nutrients in fruit that you can't find in vegetables - and the veggies have MUCH lower carbohydrate content :)

For fruit I stick to small quantities of higher-fiber/lower-GI fruits such as berries and cherries. A 1/3c of raspberries has 5g of carbohydrate and 1/2 of it is fiber. Add to that some heavy cream and a dash of sugar-free sweetener and you've very nice low-carb treat...
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I use net carb as well: Total carbs - fiber -sugar alcohol= net carbs. European labeling already subtracts fiber from the total carbs but I dont know about Canadian labeling.
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my total carbs to my 5% macro goal (which is currently 18g) but I feel okay if I eat between 19-23g total because they all come from veggies and lean meats. I am netting under 15g daily, so I guess you can say I keep track of both and try to stay as close to my goals as possible.