Looking for some reading advice for loss of concentration

Options
kaihunter45
kaihunter45 Posts: 192 Member
Hello to my fellow MFP readers. I have spent a lifetime (soon to be 45 years) loving to read and reading just about everything I can get my hands on. Early this past November my Father passed away. Since then, I haven't been able to conentrate to read. Where I used to be able to read a book every day or two now it's taking me weeks and I'm not even finishing a lot of books I've started. I realize that everyone experience grief differently, I'm just looking for advice/suggestions on getting myself back on the book shelf. Thanks! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• timetravelforfitness
    timetravelforfitness Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I lost my ability to read when my dad died. And again after other terrible experiences.
    Things that helped me:
    *not worrying about it. This was the hardest, but I kept feeling guilty about it.
    *reading nonfiction. I think this was weird, but given my grief I didn't want to read novels. Also, many nonfiction books are written with smaller chapters, which allowed me to read for shorter periods of time.
    *audiobooks. I used this to sit and listen during the time I would have read for. This prevented me from turning that time into something else.

But mainly, what helped was grieving and talking to a therapist. I don't know if it would help you, but the time that I saw the therapist I was seriously depressed. It was harder than after my dad died to sit and read a page. I would sit for hours and not get any of the words into my brain.

I'm sorry you lost your father. I hope you find yourself able to read again soon. I remember being really frustrated with the fact that I wanted to escape my thoughts by reading and it was the one thing I really couldn't do.
  • kaihunter45
    kaihunter45 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions. They seem very good and I will try. I am so sorry for your loss and though it's not good for either of us, it's a relief to know that someone went through the same thing. Thank you.
  • timetravelforfitness
    timetravelforfitness Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Agreed, when I saw your post I needed to write because I remember feeling that no one could possibly be going through the same thing. I mean, reading! It's my thing! I had to let you know it wasn't just you. :)

Good luck!
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I could only imagine what it is to lose someone so close, my thoughts are with you.

I asked my friends this a few days ago, I am in a group called Book Buddies on Facebook and when I asked what I should do, they recommended to pick up a book you loved and read it again. For me I just could not do it - I was sick and that is what killed my reading drive, but it kicked back in again. Maybe read something out of your comfort zone will help. If you need some recommendations let me know I have a great abundance list and would gladly share stuff with you!