Sleep issues

Options
Since choosing a Keto diet 8 weeks ago- which I love, I'm having big sleep problems, I'm not sure if its a coincidence or not. I'm waking between 2am-3am and unable to go back to sleep. I don't think it is an outside stimulus, I don't need the bathroom or hungry. Just my body wakes and fires up, although I know I haven't had my sleep out. I have been going to bed an hour early to catch up a little extra sleep but I just want to sleep until 5am-my usual wake up time. Any ideas or suggestions please?

Replies

• kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Thats odd. Personally I've noticed that I am sleeping better than ever. are you eating later in the evening? Perhaps you're hungry? maybe try having some coconut oil before bed? I really don't know, just throwing it out there.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    I sleep lot less with low carb, but feel much better even with less sleep. I am liking the fact that I get an extra hr a day now.
  • strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I sleep lot less with low carb, but feel much better even with less sleep. I am liking the fact that I get an extra hr a day now.
    Same here. I average maybe 6 hours of sleep each night, and feel wonderful in the morning. Before, 10 hours couldn't make me feel this good.
  • karryann2008
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, I do seem to be getting around 6 hours, maybe I just need to shift the hours I sleep. I have tons of energy, more than I've ever had; in fact I'm bouncing around all day everyday. Quite possibly I don't need as much as I used to need.
  • Deborah105
    Deborah105 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Why do you guys think you're needing less sleep? I'm trying desperately (serious word! lol) to get MORE sleep. It's so complicated. :/
  • karryann2008
    Options
    I've always needed a good 8 hours. since doing Keto I've not had more than 6, a few nights a week its been less than 4. Mentally I feel I need more, Physically my body is coping great. I'm still going to try to encourage myself to get more sleep, but not going to stress about it-see what happens, its early days.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I've always needed a good 8 hours. since doing Keto I've not had more than 6, a few nights a week its been less than 4. Mentally I feel I need more, Physically my body is coping great. I'm still going to try to encourage myself to get more sleep, but not going to stress about it-see what happens, its early days.

I'm the opposite, I am mentally alert but body tired, but I think the body tired thing was related to my body adjusting to keto. Its a lot better these days.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    Why do you guys think you're needing less sleep? I'm trying desperately (serious word! lol) to get MORE sleep. It's so complicated. :/

I don't have a scientific proof for this, just an opinion from a Dr who does Keto. The preferred fuel for Brain is ketones, it's like super fuel. So you are much more active and alert even with out much sleep.
  • Skoster1
    Skoster1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I think I'm sleeping less than I used to, though I'm often just tired at the end of the workday. Then again I work 10 hours a day and it's a pretty mentally demanding job with a lot of variance of workload from day to day, so I can't make a good judgement on the diet impact.

I will say I think everything is just more stable throughout the day. Mood, energy levels, etc. I can't say it's better or worse since I don't have any data to prove it, and with my background I tend to be quite suspicious of anecdotal evidence without data.
  • Deborah105
    Deborah105 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I don't have a scientific proof for this, just an opinion from a Dr who does Keto. The preferred fuel for Brain is ketones, it's like super fuel. So you are much more active and alert even with out much sleep.

That's fascinating. I want this super fuel to get on it and burn faster!

I do believe my brain fog is better.
  • karryann2008
    Options

Thank you, this makes complete sense to me!