Paleo/Primal Moms

Options
Jenny_Rose77
Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
I'm relatively new to the Paleo life (and am technically eating more "Primal," I think), but I would love to make friends on here with other moms who are eating this way, and also cooking for their kids this way. I joined MFP when I was pregnant, so I already have a lot of great, supportive mom friends, but it would be nice to have some Paleo/Primal ones in particular!

Also, beyond that, what advice do you have for getting your kids on the path to Paleo/Primal? (I am a stay-at-home-mom; my son is 15 months, and I am completely in charge of what he eats...well, what I put in front of him...he has his own ideas about what he'll actually eat!)

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I'm a Paleo Mom!

The best advice that I can give you on feeding your child Paleo is "start now". I didn't start until 20 months ago and can't fix the damage to my child's teeth etc, but her behaviour and other health issues have been improved immensely.

It's very hard dealing with schools and other people who don't understand that the food our children eat matters and that unhealthy treats are more detrimental than they think.

I spend most of my weekends cooking healthy foods for my child and I. Whenever I start feeling resentful I think of why I am doing it and it's all worth it. I'm extremely proud of feeding my child healthy food.
  • Kaitlyn811
    Kaitlyn811 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Glad this thread is here,

I'm a mama to a rowdy 2 year old girl. I'm not a stay at home mom, she spends a couple days a week with my grandma, and the others with a sitter at sitter's house.

They all eat CRAP. I mean CRAP.

How do I approach this subject? What can I quickly put together for her throughout the day?

I have a fear now she won't eat what I pack her because that's not what the "other kids are eating."
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    My kids are young adults, but I wish they grew up with the benefits of eating this way. They are healthy though, and enjoy the food when they visit, so I educate them inadvertently.
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I just had my baby 16 years ago. At 4 he decided he wanted to be a vegetarian for ethical reasons. He eventually started having blood sugar and behavioural issues. We eventually told him he had to eat some form of meat for medicinal purposes. He would only eat chicken, cheese, and eggs for protein. We cut out grains for the most part and fruit except for a few berries. That helped and then at some point he got anaemic and we told him he might try incorporating some beef into his diet. This has been a good thing. He has aspergers so he has strong ideas about things and it is not just a case of putting food in front of him and telling him to eat it. He is mostly primal except for one brown rice tortilla. I too agree that starting early is good. My son has never been into candy and soda and most desserts because he never got them. I am very grateful that he has always liked vegetables. But then they have always been a big part of our diet. I don't know how to get them on the right track after they are older. I would think incorporating vegetables in yummy interesting ways would be a good start. Maybe soups and dips etc. You'd have to tailor it to your kid. good for you working on this early!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    Glad this thread is here,

I'm a mama to a rowdy 2 year old girl. I'm not a stay at home mom, she spends a couple days a week with my grandma, and the others with a sitter at sitter's house.

They all eat CRAP. I mean CRAP.

How do I approach this subject? What can I quickly put together for her throughout the day?

I have a fear now she won't eat what I pack her because that's not what the "other kids are eating."

This is a challenging subject. I deal with a school that serves food because most of the kids come to school with no breakfast. I'm assertive about some things (no artificial sweeteners, wheat, candy) but I'm accommodating on other things (commercial yogurt, fruit cups). As for the family/sitters. It's tough. For me, it's not because my sitter won't follow my advice but she just doesn't understand. When I asked her if she eats margarine (to determine if I need to say "don't give my child any") she said "no, only butter" but then I dig deeper and she meant Parkay and Imperial margarine. It's the same for wheat; people just don't understand or read ingredients. In my town, everyone is similarly ignorant so switching babysitters isn't a viable option and this lady (my child's aunt) is actually the best sitter I've found.

Of course, I have no choice but to work, but I do my best to educate my sitter and she tries. The school somewhat tries but it depends on the particular staff member. I only see my family twice per year and I do have some issues there but based on the changes in my health, they are starting to get that the food matters. My mom and my aunt persist in offering my child wheat and I persist in insisting that they stop.

Do your best. Be assertive. Explain that those foods make your child sick and will make her behaviour more difficult to manage (or maybe not, but that's applicable to my child). Tell them she is "allergic" to the things you don't want her to eat; for some reason people take allergies seriously but not food intolerances. Sometimes one has to make the tough choice and change caregivers if they absolutely refuse to respect your choices as a mother. Disrespect is unacceptable.
  • butterbear1980
    butterbear1980 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'm a momma of three little boys aged 2 4 and 6. I started the WAP diet in my third pregnancy and well I wish I had a time machine to go back and start it in my first. Due to behavior issues with my oldest we follow strict scd (similar to paleo) the changes in him are amazing and its so worth it. Grain free sugar free is so good for kids and if you can introduce foods now you'll be amazed by your Childs pallette as she grows. My youngest gladly eats seaweed and liver but doesn't really care about cake. My middle one loves meat and cheese and fruit. The oldest loves beans and veggies and desserts; these wrote the things I ate during each pregnancy. In liue of a time machine the best thing to do is start making small changes right now. They add up and are a gift to children!
  • raisingbabyk
    raisingbabyk Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Following this thread for advice/friends. I feel 1000x better when following the paleo lifestyle, but am easily tempted and once I fall off the wagon, I fall off hard. I am looking to get back on track to start feeling better. I believe the standard American (candian? haha) diet affects my moods a lot and also bothers my stomach (mild IBS). I have a 3 year old son and 1 year old daughter and im interested in having them eat that way as well. It's a struggle because most of the world pushes whole grains, dairy etc so I feel bad taking that away from them... but then I know that it's not actually good for anybody and if I dont think its healthy for me why would i give it to them? So im torn.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    "I just had my baby 16 years ago"

I feel this. Mine is 10.

She eats our Paleo food with carby supplements (bread, pasta, etc.)

I raised her on the SAD diet, she eats it in school lunches and with dad, and all the grandparents, and everywhere, so I really can't stop it.

It is hard enough for me to be Paleo, I'm not even going to force her to try it.

If me & my Paleo BF make more babies, we'll raise them Paleo, but if not, well, no one is going to make her change if she don't want too.

But now my Paleo BF is planning a Paleo Pregnancy diet for me that rich in LIVER and HERRING!

EW!

I'm not excited about the idea of getting pregnant anymore.

Replace my booze with liver? Holy mother.

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • lexiyoo
    lexiyoo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hello all, I am also new to this thread. I have been eating clean for the past six months. I recently joined a CrossFit gym about a month ago. We are getting ready to do a Paleo challenge and I am trying to get more MyFitnessPal friend who do Paleo. I recently read the Paleo diet book by Lauren cordain. If you guys have any tips on starting this Paleo challenge or feel free to add me to your friends list. I have four-year-old twins . And I work full-time. I've done the beach body program such as insanity, turbo fire and t 25. They had good results however I feel like in order to really change my body it's time to start lifting heavyweights and switching from eating clean to Paleo.
  • mistybkarma
    mistybkarma Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am trying to fit into the paleo lifestyle now as well. I'm only 2 weeks in, but they have been successful! My daughter is 6, and my son is 4 months old. My girl eats paleo for the most part. She enjoys the fruit and veggies, but hates meat.

I try not to force my family into eating this way, but I do encourage it. Any food that I give them is completely healthy and delicious. I send her to school with 'normal' foods with a bit more veggies than most kids.
  • Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    If you're on facebook there is a group called Paleo Pregnancy and Beyond. Lots of great info there and like minded parents to discuss paleo parenting and feeding your kids this way.
  • alottahunnie
    alottahunnie Posts: 22 Member
    Options

I feel this. Mine is 10.

I raised her on the SAD diet, she eats it in school lunches and with dad, and all the grandparents, and everywhere, so I really can't stop it.

It is hard enough for me to be Paleo, I'm not even going to force her to try it.

If me & my Paleo BF make more babies, we'll raise them Paleo, but if not, well, no one is going to make her change if she don't want too.

But now my Paleo BF is planning a Paleo Pregnancy diet for me that rich in LIVER and HERRING!

EW!

LMAO, that's too funny! Liver and herring? No thanks...
    I am totally Paleo...except for the booze. Honestly, giving that up has been the hardest. What I should really say is enjoying it not quite as often, not giving it up.

We are planning our first child and I am currently recommitted to sticking to Paleo. But my hubby, not so much. I seriously call him "Le Sabateur" (said with a thick French accent). He asks me if I want Krispy Kreme donuts and cookies and other crap! I can be strong, but sometimes...Oh, how weak I am. How am I supposed to get me on track, first, stick to it while pregnant, and then keep my husband's not so Paleo food away from me and our hypothetical kid?
    ugh
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    LMAO, that's too funny! Liver and herring? No thanks...
    I am totally Paleo...except for the booze. Honestly, giving that up has been the hardest. What I should really say is enjoying it not quite as often, not giving it up.

We are planning our first child and I am currently recommitted to sticking to Paleo. But my hubby, not so much. I seriously call him "Le Sabateur" (said with a thick French accent). He asks me if I want Krispy Kreme donuts and cookies and other crap! I can be strong, but sometimes...Oh, how weak I am. How am I supposed to get me on track, first, stick to it while pregnant, and then keep my husband's not so Paleo food away from me and our hypothetical kid?
    ugh

The best thing I've found to do is to gradually get him to change. Do things like replace his spaghetti meal with spaghetti squash (seriously, my hubby likes the squash better than pasta now), or find grain/gluten free pizza crusts and make homemade pizzas. Also, start talking to him about ingredients in things and why certain things are bad (seriously, think about what's in the Krispy Kreme, it'll turn you off pretty quickly). If you can get him away from the sugar and crap at least in the house, it can go a long way in changing his tastebuds against the crap elsewhere. It'll be a slow process unless he jumps on board, but it can work.

It might help to impress upon him the importance of eating well, especially for pregnancy, and that you don't feel donuts constitute "eating well." When you get pregnant, you won't be doing this just for yourself anymore. A lot of guys don't get stuff like that until you spell it out for them.

Also, if he's actively trying to sabotage you, you might want to talk to him about that. Having a kid won't fix things like that, and might make things worse.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    Don't forget that "carbs" are not synonymous with "grains," and certainly not with "wheat." You can have more carbs in a diet without going to grains. Potatoes and other tubers are a great way to get more carbs (and calories!) in, as is fruit.

I agree with the others that have said "start now." My son was sorta Paleo when I first introduced solid foods. He was never a fan of the baby cereals, so I made his baby food. He got a lot of squash, avocado, carrots, applesauce, etc. when he was little. Then life happened, and I wasn't Paleo at the time, so other grains got introduced and whatnot. Now I'm working on breaking the grain habit, which I've been able to do at home, but still trying to handle daycare and my husband (he doesn't think we should worry about it until he starts school, where we can pack his lunches and snacks).

Thankfully, he's got that foundation, though, so he's not a big junk food eater, and typically asks for things like broccoli, bell peppers, and berries. It's still kind of tough to get him to eat some things, though, especially new stuff, so definitely, the earlier you can start them, the better, and do what you can to keep them away from the crap.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    I am trying to fit into the paleo lifestyle now as well. I'm only 2 weeks in, but they have been successful! My daughter is 6, and my son is 4 months old. My girl eats paleo for the most part. She enjoys the fruit and veggies, but hates meat.

I try not to force my family into eating this way, but I do encourage it. Any food that I give them is completely healthy and delicious. I send her to school with 'normal' foods with a bit more veggies than most kids.

Have you tried cooking the veggies in animal fats? That might help her develop a taste for meat. My son has been finicky about meat, too. For the longest time, he'd only eat bacon and eggs, then we got him to eat pork chops eventually (again, actually, for some reason he stopped eating them for a while). Recently, and mysteriously, he started asking for steak. Keep it around, keep offering it, and keep making sure they're getting enough nutrients. They'll either start liking it, or grow up to be a vegetarian. :laugh:
  • fisherlassie
    Options

I feel this. Mine is 10.

EW!

It is too bad that we don't eat grains! Haggis is delicious but it has oat meal!! Pate is good. That would take care of the liver problem. The Herring…well that is a problem! I'm afraid I am no help at all! Why does you BF want you to eat those things? What if he eats them while you are pregnant!! LOL!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options

I feel this. Mine is 10.

EW!

It is too bad that we don't eat grains! Haggis is delicious but it has oat meal!! Pate is good. That would take care of the liver problem. The Herring…well that is a problem! I'm afraid I am no help at all! Why does you BF want you to eat those things? What if he eats them while you are pregnant!! LOL!

It's absolutely vital to eat foods that enable absorption of fat soluble vitamins during pregnancy. All aboriginal societies had/have specific diets for women who are trying to conceive or are pregnant. We set the stage for the health of our child for their entire life while we carry them (brain development, bone/teeth health, etc etc). There's nothing more vital that being properly nourished during pregnancy. So if a mom needs to eat a few things that she isn't crazy about to ensure the best health for the baby, why would she not do that? I've gotten used to fermented cod liver oil; it doesn't kill me to eat a little every day and I do it just for my own health since I'm not pregnant.

I avoid most grains most of the time, but I have added certified wheat free oatmeal back into my diet occasionally. The only rule I never break is "don't cheat with wheat". If you tolerate oatmeal, by all means have it once in awhile! Just make sure to get the certified "wheat free" because oatmeal is usually cross-contaminated.
  • Minimumrage
    Minimumrage Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, just joined this forum as I am recommitting to paleo and also trying to figure out what to feed my 6 month old daughter.

We are doing baby led weaning - so she eats strips of veggies, egg, and meat. I'd love to hear of any paleo baby led weaning stories or resources but I'm aware I am a minority in a minority - I think!

I'm a bit concerned about not following recommendations re normal
    diets. Even though I've read a lot of the science and really believe in it, it is tricky to make that decision to be so unusual on behalf of someone else. And I don't want to be v v strict through her childhood because I think it would be hard for her not to partake in normal foods. My husband thinks we should just do paleo meals at home and not sweat it if she goes to a party or whatever.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    Hey everyone, just joined this forum as I am recommitting to paleo and also trying to figure out what to feed my 6 month old daughter.

We are doing baby led weaning - so she eats strips of veggies, egg, and meat. I'd love to hear of any paleo baby led weaning stories or resources but I'm aware I am a minority in a minority - I think!

I'm a bit concerned about not following recommendations re normal
    diets. Even though I've read a lot of the science and really believe in it, it is tricky to make that decision to be so unusual on behalf of someone else. And I don't want to be v v strict through her childhood because I think it would be hard for her not to partake in normal foods. My husband thinks we should just do paleo meals at home and not sweat it if she goes to a party or whatever.

The sooner you start her and develop her habits, the easier it will be to deal with the junk food. Just present Paleo foods as "the way things are," and they'll develop tastes for those. If she goes to a party later on, then feel free to allow her to eat what she wants. She'll probably quickly learn that she doesn't really like it, and/or it'll make her sick, and she'll avoid it on her own. Heavily processed foods are not "normal food." Most should barely qualify as food to begin with. Even things like a good ice cream should be considered what they are -- treats. Something to be consumed on a rare, special occasion.

As for the "recommended" infant food -- it's basically crap. They want you to start off on rice and grains. Not only are they bland as hell, but they have almost zero nutrition. If you don't feed them what you're eating (which is traditionally recommended -- pureed for the ones just getting started), just puree/mash some fruits and veggies together (steamed if they're harder/crunchier ones), freeze them in ice cube trays, and thaw as needed (convenient, 1oz blocks, it's awesome). The only thing you need to watch is sodium. If you give them a lot of low-sodium foods, you'll want to add some salt.

On a side note - Paleo is probably more likely to have more people who do things like baby-led weaning, so you're not as much of a minority as you think. Also, check out wellnessmama.com. She's got a ton of Paleo-esque/toxin-free living, and parenting articles.
  • fisherlassie
    Options

I feel this. Mine is 10.

EW!

It's absolutely vital to eat foods that enable absorption of fat soluble vitamins during pregnancy. All aboriginal societies had/have specific diets for women who are trying to conceive or are pregnant. We set the stage for the health of our child for their entire life while we carry them (brain development, bone/teeth health, etc etc). There's nothing more vital that being properly nourished during pregnancy. So if a mom needs to eat a few things that she isn't crazy about to ensure the best health for the baby, why would she not do that? I've gotten used to fermented cod liver oil; it doesn't kill me to eat a little every day and I do it just for my own health since I'm not pregnant.

I avoid most grains most of the time, but I have added certified wheat free oatmeal back into my diet occasionally. The only rule I never break is "don't cheat with wheat". If you tolerate oatmeal, by all means have it once in awhile! Just make sure to get the certified "wheat free" because oatmeal is usually cross-contaminated.

I absolutely agree with you about feeding your body and your baby the best things you can. As soon as I realized I was pregnant sugar and white flour did not cross my lips until long after I stopped breast feeding (five years+). Unfortunately I didn't know about primal back then so I was still eating grains and beans. What I'm wondering though is if you can get the nutrients you are after by eating foods you like. I can just imagine that eating foods you don't like when you are pregnant might be especially unpleasant and possibly ineffective if you can't keep them down. I definitely agree with avoiding non-foods and alcohol (sorry Asa! ; )) before I learned I was pregnant I had a scotch with my father in law and ate chocolate mousse for breakfast. I felt dreadful! I had no idea why and it was probably weeks before I figured it out. I still feel guilty about that but I guess there are advantages to planning these things and getting your diet figured out in advance.