Maintenance Struggle

Options
shanaber
shanaber Posts: 6,391 Member
I am hoping some of you may be able to give me some suggestions or ideas to help with the rut I am in... I hit my goal weight (125) over a year ago. About 3 months later I was injured running and had to take some time off although I still went to the gym and worked on other cardio as I could. My weight went up about 5 pounds and I expected when I started running again it would come back down. It has not and fluctuates between 5 and 8 pounds up. I had increased my base calories a bit from 1200 to 1400 for maintenance but have dropped back to 1200.

I run 4-6 miles 4 days a week with a longer run on Saturday. On Sundays I usually go for a long walk with friends. I also do strength training with a trainer twice a week and try to get another workout in on my own. I always take one full day off each week, no running, no strength training. I had a recommendation to try HIIT in my weekday runs so I try to do that once or twice a week but I just can't seem to get back under 130!

One the good side I have seen my running times drop and got new PRs in my most recent races (5k, 10k and half)... Also my clothes still fit fine, but I just want to get those last stubborn pounds off and keep them off and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• JennyKCarty
    JennyKCarty Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I don't think you are eating enough to fuel your body for all the exercise you do. There is no way 1400 should be your maintenance calories. You look very muscular.
    Are you measuring your food with a scale?
    I would recommend calculating your TDEE and don't be afraid to be honest with your activity level. (Very active)
    Once you have figured that make sure you are measuring your intake appropriately with a scale. Then take off 250 calories daily to lose 0.5lb per week.
    Also you might want to repost this question under general diet and weight loss to get more responses.
    Eat, Train, Progress is also a good group to join and the moderators there will give you detailed advice.
    Good luck!
  • shanaber
    Options
    Thanks JB - I do try to eat the additional calories 'earned' from running and working out but I am usually well under my daily allotment. And yes I do use a food scale and pretty much measure everything, otherwise it is just too hard to know how much you are really consuming.
    I used the Fat 2 Fit tools and calculate my BMR to be 1370 and TDEE to be 2103 so to lose 0.5 pound per week I should eat around 1850 calories. I had not calculated it this way before and have used what MFP gave me per day. Looking back at the reports I have not been close to the 1850 mark and usually under 1500.
    I will check out the Eat, Train, Progress group too!
    Thanks again!
  • JennyKCarty
    JennyKCarty Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    You're welcome. I hope it works for you!
  • pusheen12
    pusheen12 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above advice. You might also want to check out a site called Coach Calorie. A lot of good information there. I really think you have an issue with eating too few calories that needs to be addressed, either that stop worrying about the scales numbers.
  • shanaber
    Options
    Thanks All,
    I did post on Eat, Train, Progress and they have adjusted my calories and macros so I will give it a try!