Supra-Maximal lifts

Options
jlclabo
jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
does anyone else use supra-maximal lifts as part of their training program? i have always used them in some way or form. usually as pin squats and rack pulls. i think they are a great tool to prep your nervous system for the heavier weights. did them as an accessory day for my program. i usually do them 3x3 on pin squat and 3x1 for rack pulls. its crazy how sore just 3 singles can make my upper back. plus it also helps with grip.
last night went like this.
pin squat: 1x5 135 w/u
1x5 225 w/u
1x5 315 w/u
working sets 1x3 495 116% 1RM
1x3 515 121% 1RM
1x3 545 128% 1RM
rack pulls no warm up sets.
1x1 495 no straps, mixed grip 109% 1RM
1x1 545 straps 120% 1RM
1x1 545 straps 120% 1RM

Replies

• coachbennettlhs
    coachbennettlhs Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I use supra-maximal lifts in my training all the time. Reverse bands on bench and deadlifts, boards for bench, rack pulls, etc. That kind of training beats the crap out of me but the strength gains are worth it come meet time...
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    In for the learning. You already know I do them. And I agree that they need to be programmed smartly because they kill the CNS. I really like the idea of dedicating a day just for supramax work. I go as high as 150% on rack pulls and that is really hard on the CNS. Fun to watch the bar bend, though.

I am just starting to incorporate chains into squat and bench and I can see those going supra maximal as well. If my squat 1RM is 315, I plan to do chain squats where I have 250 on the bar and 80 lbs of chains. That way I can get out of the hole with power and put up supra maximal weight. Seems like a good approach because I am maximizing training but really only working at 80% 1RM. I will add bands at some point as well.

Tom
  • jlclabo
    Options
    i usually just take what should be my heavy lower day and do my SM work. its super low volume, but the intensity is way high. i also try to take as little time to recover as i possibly need. im also gonna start lowering the pins on squat and rack pulls to gradually take them lower with the heavier weight for added ROM with the overload.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I've done them in the past put have never had any notable gains from them. I'm not sure how much carryover you get from priming your cns for heavier loads. It may be applicable within a short window eg. squat heavy and then drop the weight and it feels crazy light. I've done over loaded walkouts and power curtsies in the past pre meet like 425 but it never seemed to make me better at anything other than walk outs and power curtsies.
  • wonderbeard101
    wonderbeard101 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I program overload periods into my training before competitions. As you said, they're a great way to prep your CNS. I like to use chains the most. If I have time between competitions, I sometimes train in single ply for the same purpose. Gear can be useful, even for a raw lifter.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    slingshot for bench
    block pulls for deads

Nothing specific for squats although I suppose you would say the recent equipped training at above my raw max is a form of supra-maximal lifting.
  • coachbennettlhs
    coachbennettlhs Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    slingshot for bench
    block pulls for deads

Nothing specific for squats although I suppose you would say the recent equipped training at above my raw max is a form of supra-maximal lifting.

Bands work great for squats. I use the ones from EliteFTS.
  • jlclabo
    Options
    with no access to bands currently i lust use pin squats for my overloads.