Easily Confused

Options
mom2tm
mom2tm Posts: 25 Member
I am getting back into eating healthier and trying to lose some weight. I am not sure about how to correctly calculate the number of calories I should be eating. I used a BMR calculator on line - but that seemed like a high number (1600 calories) I've started cutting out a lot of the processed foods I was eating. I try to make sure I have a protien, vegetable and fruit at every meal - and have increased my water.
I generally try to stay around 1200 calories a day overall. About 4-5 days a week I exercise and burn 300-400 calories. Should I be eating those calories back? Some days I have trouble even getting to my 1200 calories - I can't imagine adding in another 300 calories just to add them in.
I don't want to hinder my progress - is there anything I should be doing - or is what I'm doing ok?
Thanks for any help!

Replies

• knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Use the MFP tools to start with, you can calculate your BMR - click on APPS at the top of the page. Set up your goals and MFP will give you a calorie goal. My BMR is over 2000 to maintain without exercising so 1600 isn't that high? 1200 is generally considered low and it might stall your weightloss rather than help it. Eat back about 1/3 to 3/4 of your exercise calories back. Buy a food scale and weigh and measure everything for the first while until you figure out proper portion sizes. I really can't relate to people saying they have a hard time getting to 1200 calories that's only 400 per meal if you eat 3 times a day with no snacks? Sounds like something I could never sustain.
  • RckyMtnTJ
    RckyMtnTJ Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Wow. I've never calculated my BMR. It's 2200+. According to MFP I need 2300 calories/day to lose 2lbs/ week. I scaled that back to 2000 calories/day. Personally I just went with MFP and tweaked it a little.

Good luck.