In a rut - need help!

Options
shanaber
shanaber Posts: 6,391 Member
I am hoping you may be able to help me with the rut I am in... I hit my goal weight (125) over a year ago. I was injured last year and had to take some time off from running although I still went to the gym and worked on other cardio as well as continuing my strength training. My weight went up about 5 pounds and I expected when I started running again it would come back down. It has not and now fluctuates around 5-8 pounds up. I had increased my base calories a bit from 1200 to 1400 for maintenance but have dropped back to 1200. I have used the MFP targets and try to eat back the exercise calories. On the good side I have seen my running times drop and got new PRs in my most recent races (5k, 10k and half)... Also my clothes still fit fine, but I just want to get those last stubborn pounds off and keep them off and would appreciate your help/guidance! Thanks!

Provide your stats (height/weight/age/bodyfat% if you know it/etc)
Age - 58
Height – 5’ 2”
Today’s weight – 133
Body fat ~24% using measurements and the calculators at www.fat2fittools.com/

What's your current gross intake of calories, on average? Over the last 4 weeks - 1403
What's your current average intake of protein, carbs, and fats, in grams? (GRAMS, not percent!)
Protein – 58g
Carbs - 129g
Fat – 54g

Do you use a food scale and measure everything? Yes

Do you track all of your intake, daily? (Everything?) On a daily basis yes, for the most part but I have missed a few days when I was out of town

Do you take cheat days or days off? No – if I want to have something ‘special’ I have it and account for it

How much weight have you lost so far and over what time period?
Total to goal weight of 60 pounds in 2 years and 3 months. As mentioned above and the reason for my question, I have gained 5-8 pounds back beginning last September/October.

Describe your activity (exercise and non exercise) and did you change that activity within the last couple of months?
I work from home in technical sales support for a large computer services company so I am on the computer and/or conference calls most of the day. I try to stand, walk around, do laundry, play with the puppy, etc. so I am not just sitting all day. It also allows me to fit a run every day into my schedule around work and meetings
I run 4-6 miles 4 days a week with a longer run (8-10 miles) on Saturday, except when I am tapering for a race or recovering after as I have been for the last 2 weeks. I have added a HIIT workout to my runs 1-2 times a week. On Sundays I usually go for a long walk with friends. I also do strength training with a trainer twice a week and try to get another workout in on my own. I always take one full day off each week; no running, no strength training. I have not changed my activity other than for tapering or recovering.
How long have you been stalled and if it is not a complete stall please be very specific as to how much you have lost over the stalled period.
I have been stalled since September/October when my weight went up from fluctuating right around 125 to fluctuating around 130 and now between 130 and 134.

Are you breastfeeding? No
Do you have thyroid issues/risks or PCOS?
Yes – I have hypothyroidism and have been on medication since I was a child. I also have a very low HR – resting HR of 35 confirmed by the cardiologist with a multi-day monitor.

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Are you looking to get back down to 125lb?

Also, can you open your diary.
  • shanaber
    Options
    Hi Sara - yes get back to 125 and stay around that weight. My diary is unlocked.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Tagging
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Hey!

First, we'd like you to set your calorie and macronutrient intake to the following:

1415 calories
    120 carbohydrate
    55 fat
    110 protein

Next, we found some potential room for improvement with regards to logging accuracy.

1) There were several days partially logged (100-800 calories logged). About 10 of them over the past 2 months.
    2) There were several uses of the quick-add feature. This feature isn't necessarily bad but it does indicate estimation.
    3) General lack of condiments/cooking oils in your diary (perhaps you don't use them but it's a point worth mentioning).
    4) Several homemade entires -- are you using the custom recipe builder?

Regarding the above list, some of this may be applicable and some may not, but we mention this because it points out areas that may not be as accurate as you may think. And none of the above is arbitrarily bad, but when you're not making your desired progress then you should look to see if you are actually eating the calorie level that you think you are eating.

Please let us know if you have questions, and follow up with us in 2 weeks.
  • shanaber
    Options
    Thanks - the partial days were when I was traveling. It doesn't happen often but it is difficult for me to track especially when I am eating out or not eating what I would prepare at home. You are correct that there aren't a lot of condiments, sauces and oils used. My husband doesn't care much for them so we season typically with spices and I use a bit of avocado (weighed) for example in place of mayo in the rare instance I have a sandwich. I don't fry foods much and don't use much oil if any when I can get away with it (like cooking eggs, pasta or rice). I do use the recipe builder for many of the things I cook since I know what is in them and they could be very different from someone else's or a store bought product.

One question on the 1415 calories - should that be my total for the day regardless of exercise (using TDEE)?

I will definitely give it a try and let you know in 2 weeks how I am doing!
    Thanks again,
    Shana
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Hi! The 1,415 is gross - as in you do not 'eat exercise calories back'.
  • shanaber
    Options
    Thanks Sara!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Temporarily locking for admin purposes. Please PM either myself or SideSteel when you are ready to update, or if you have questions earlier, including a link to this thread, and we will unlock so you can do so.
This discussion has been closed.