Acrylics' Bulking Log

Options
ILiftHeavyAcrylics
ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
Okay so it's day 1 of bulking for me. I haven't completely nailed everything down yet-- working with Davpul and Sarauk2sf to figure out the best workout strategy. So for today I'm just going to do the last 5/3/1 workout of the cycle.

Goals: to build a bigger booty
to increase my lifts (squatting body weight for reps is a big one)

Current weight: 125 (average for the week)

Current body fat %: unsure but it's guesstimated to be somewhere in the 18%-19% range

Macros: right now I'm aiming for 100 grams of protein, 45 grams of fat, and the rest carbs. I considered cutting carbs down a bit but I don't function well if I don't get more than 200 grams so I'm going to try keeping them higher. Can always adjust later.

Workouts: going to be lifting 4 days per week in the 12-15 rep range at about 75% of max. Also planning to run once per week. I've been told that's a bad idea. I've also been told it's fine. I guess we'll find out.

Calories: planning to walk them up gradually, 100 at a time, until I'm gaining about half a pound per week.

I don't really feel ready for this in the sense that I haven't got everything figured out yet. But I'm not sure I ever would get everything figured out and I'd just sit around theorizing for months, so I think it's probably better to just get on with it and adjust if need be.

I'm also a little nervous about starting now (at the beginning of bathing suit season), but I don't want to wait for next winter so it is what it is.

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Good luck with the bulk, it is great to eat a bit more and see your lifts go up.

Looks like you've already got great help with your workout plans but if your looking for ideas, I managed to get my squat up to body weight doing the first 2 cycles of smolov (don't think I'll finish the programme tis time as I'm only 3lb off my target now). My deadlift has suffered though, so that's another reason for just doing 5/3/1 for the remainder.

It should go great for you, seems like you've done your research. I just went for an 'oh hell, let's go for it' approach this time but I'll be following your example and doing a bit more homework next time.

Don't worry about bikini season, you already sound pretty lean and everything I've heard suggests you'll get better results, protein partitioning wise (?!?) something to do with the less bodyfat you have, the less your body wants to store during a bulk :)

Anyway, I'm rambling now - have fun with it.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Yay! Welcome to the club! There are a few of us bulking through the spring and I may even go longer if I can stand it so I totally get the frustration. Just did a rant on it in fact! Good luck and hopefully we can support eachother through this journey!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Thanks ladies. I've slightly altered my plan-- now planning to do a longer slower bulk. I'll be aiming to gain a pound per month.

How do you guys figure out how much you're gaining-- do you do a weekly average of weights or do you weigh in on the same day every month?
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday and then take the average for the week. During TOM I don't even bother.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    I weigh everyday and then take the average for the week. During TOM I don't even bother.

Thanks!

Started my training this morning and holy hell I'm already sore. It may be a bumpy ride for the first few weeks.
  • SilentDrapeRunners
    SilentDrapeRunners Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Good luck and welcome!

I'm currently bulking/maintaining (I'm doing a few months of bulking then I do a month of maintenance, then repeat the cycle). I'll probably do this for the next year. But it's a work in progress since I just started bulking in January of this year. I'm still trying to determine exactly what my maintenance calories are.

I weigh everyday and do a weekly weight average. Then from there I can do a monthly average. Weighing everyday gives me more data points, and I think it's helpful since my weight jumps around a lot.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Good luck and welcome!

I'm currently bulking/maintaining (I'm doing a few months of bulking then I do a month of maintenance, then repeat the cycle). I'll probably do this for the next year. But it's a work in progress since I just started bulking in January of this year. I'm still trying to determine exactly what my maintenance calories are.

I weigh everyday and do a weekly weight average. Then from there I can do a monthly average. Weighing everyday gives me more data points, and I think it's helpful since my weight jumps around a lot.

Mine does too. I get everything from 123 to 128. This morning I'm up to 127.6 after yesterday's first hypertrophy workout. Also I'm actively avoiding anything for which I have to sit down. :laugh:
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Ha ha ... sounds like a good workout!

I think getting an accurate weight is so hard for some people - me included. I fluctuate a lot based on my cycle (which is more like 40 days instead of 28), sodium content, higher carbs the day before, etc. It makes it really difficult to figure out what TDEE is sometimes! I'm sure with a slow and steady approach though you will give yourself the time to see trends. Good luck!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Ha ha ... sounds like a good workout!

I think getting an accurate weight is so hard for some people - me included. I fluctuate a lot based on my cycle (which is more like 40 days instead of 28), sodium content, higher carbs the day before, etc. It makes it really difficult to figure out what TDEE is sometimes! I'm sure with a slow and steady approach though you will give yourself the time to see trends. Good luck!

I hope so.

I do know my TDEE so that's something. At least, I know what it was before I changed programs. That's one benefit to going to maintenance for awhile before bulking. I've been told that it's common for TDEE to rise gradually as calories increase, and I hope that's the case for me because mine is low compared to the ones I hear from others.
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    welcome and happy bUlking!

sorry my phone does weird things with capitalization
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Somehow I missed this, welcome and happy bulking!!!
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I did a 20 week bulk and only gained about 4 lbs. Lots of lessons learned, including to EAT MORE than I thought I had to (I was eating 2600, but should have been closer to 2800). It's going to be a learning experience, so don't get frustrated. We're here to help!
  • yogaga1
    yogaga1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I understand how nerve wracking it is. Good advice above. I also tracked daily and took an average, adjusted from there. Enjoy your bulk!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Okay, so I'm 5 days in. I'm up from 125 to 128.8, which I realize is water/glycogen/food and it's that time of month as well, but it's a bit of an adjustment regardless. Especially since 128 is the top of my "happy range" for the past year or so.

My carbs have increased 25 grams per day average so that's probably a big part of it. I've only increased calories 100 per day from my tested maintenance and it isn't my first rodeo, but I guess I'm surprised that I can still be emotionally tied to the scale.

I do LOVE my new workout. And I have missed lifting 4 days per week (I had gone down to a less intense lifting routine so that I could focus on running).
  • caseythirteen
    Options
    I think that initial weight gain can be hard to adjust to for everyone. It should level off in a few weeks, especially with only a minor increase in calories right now.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    I think that initial weight gain can be hard to adjust to for everyone. It should level off in a few weeks, especially with only a minor increase in calories right now.

I'm sure you're right. I'm a little surprised at myself though because I was expecting it-- it's not like it blindsided me or anything-- but I'm still slightly bothered.

I'm planning to increase calories again at the end of this next week. I'm interested to see what happens.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Well I seem to have stabilized right at the top of my happy weight range. I've been weighing in at 127.8 most days. I think that means (correct me if I'm wrong) that that's the amount of water/glycogen that I can expect to carry for the duration. Although it might still be a little worse than it will be since I've still got some DOMS.

I'm annoyed because a couple of weeks ago before I started this I did something to my knee running through sand, and I thought it was healed up it came back with a vengeance when I tried to run this weekend. So I may be doing this sans cardio after all-- I need to be able to do squats and while they've never bothered my knees before I'm worried it's going to be an issue.

I've adjusted to my new macros and found a few sources of lower fat carbs to add in so that I'm not running 19-20 grams over my fat goal.

And I love my program. So all in all good things.
  • caseythirteen
    Options
    Sounds great! Sucks about the knee though. Does it just hurt while running - could you do something else for cardio? Not that it's necessary but I know some people just like doing it occasionally (me included).
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    switching to a less frequent lifting program is hard- I down graded from 5 to 3 days- I was really frustrated the first few weeks - esp since it was a 6 week program with a pretty linear progression as far as adding weights. It's a little bit of a mind fk. Not only are you eating more- you are working less- it's frustrating.

It'll get heavy and you'll be grateful for the time off soon!!!

don't for get- your TDEE isn't a fixed number. It's more like a range- and as you put on weight- it's going to go up- so think of kind of a band- that runs this on an angle (let's call it for 45 degrees on an X, Y axis)

Hold on- I drew a diagram. that's easier.

20140408_111634_zps8ec41477.jpg

definitely protect those knees- I don't really have habitual knee problems- but mine are thrashed after doing my program- was just way more squatting than I was used to :(

Sounds like you are off to a great start though!!!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Sounds great! Sucks about the knee though. Does it just hurt while running - could you do something else for cardio? Not that it's necessary but I know some people just like doing it occasionally (me included).

So far it's just when running. It was fine this morning for squats and even split squats, but I did lighter weight than normal just to be safe.

I've been thinking about swimming. My issue right now though is that I signed up for my first 5k in 10 days. I hate to have to bail on my first race.