Low results for four weeks, looking for general advice

Options
kimberlya271
kimberlya271 Posts: 12 Member
Hi there,
I could use some advice, as what I am doing now isn't working apparently. I am 283, with a BF% of 54.7, I am 5' 7" and 43 years old. Ok, those are the stats - oh and my jawbone says my resting burn is 1900 calories. I aim for eating between 1600 and 1900 per day, and my exercise level isn't as good as I would like, I do aim for every other day doing bodyweight exercises (You are your own gym), getting my heart rate up - or using my XBox exercise games, about 20 minutes or so.

In the last four weeks, I have made very little progress. I lost 1.5 pounds in two weeks. I am logging everything, and though I am sure years of yo yo dieting has screwed up my metabolism, I do think I should be doing better than this snails pace. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
  • kimberlya271
    Options
    Provide your stats (height/weight/age/bodyfat% if you know it/etc) 5' 7", 283, 54.8% bf.

What's your current gross intake of calories, on average? I am now (as of the last few days) eating 2000 calories. For the previous month, I was closer to 1600, up to 1900.

What's your current average intake of protein, carbs, and fats, in grams? (GRAMS, not percent!) Unfortunately, I don't know the grams. My diary shows that I am below my goal for protein usually, generally on target for fats, and at or above on carbs.

Do you use a food scale and measure everything? I do not use a scale but I do measure, using cups.

Do you track all of your intake, daily? (Everything?) Yes. I don't log my water usually, but everything else.

Do you take cheat days or days off? No

How much weight have you lost so far and over what time period? 13 pounds since early February, 10 of that was very quickly.

Describe your activity (exercise and non exercise) and did you change that activity within the last couple of months? desk job, average about 5000 steps per day, bodyweight exercises three times a week for 15 - 20 minutes and some cardio about 2 times per week, 20 - 30 minutes. Adding the bodyweight and cardio since early March.

How long have you been stalled and if it is not a complete stall please be very specific as to how much you have lost over the stalled period. Lost 1.5 pounds in two weeks, with calories between 1600 - 1900.

Are you breastfeeding? No

Do you have thyroid issues/risks or PCOS? No

Thanks.
  • kimberlya271
    Options
    As an update, I am up 6 pounds in the last five days. This is driving me crazy!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    First of all, given that you've only been logging for a few weeks, it's quite early to make any assessments about anything. So, lets be patient and see what we can adjust.

We would like you to try and make sure your logging accuracy is as good as you can get it. Using a food scale would be a great method to help you nail down your intake.

You have some days that appear to not be completely logged, that or your intake was just very low on those days but typically it's the former and not the latter with most of the situations we encounter.

You may want to make an attempt at eating a greater portion of whole and minimally refined foods to promote nutrient density and satiety and additionally they tend to have less error as far as energy value when compared to heavily refined foods. The same would apply to restaurant food vs food you prepare at home where you can control the ingredients and portion sizes.

Make sure you are using the recipe builder for home-made items so that you can avoid additional guesswork with total calories.

Finally, we are going to increase your protein along with some minor adjustments to your intake. Increasing your protein intake will likely make it much easier for you to adhere to an energy deficit.

1800 calories
    140g protein
    80 fat
    130g carbohydrate
    20g fiber

You should consider removing sugar from your dietary tracker and replace it with fiber.

Increase your activity by tracking your average step counts and bump this from 5000 to 6500/day.

Let us know if you have questions and please follow up with us in 2 weeks with an update. Weigh yourself daily and record this so that when you update us we have daily data.
  • kimberlya271
    Options
    Thank you, I will report back in two weeks.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Locking for admin purposes so we can track active threads easier. Please PM either myself or SideSteel when you are ready to update us, including a link to this thread, and we will unlock so you can do so.
This discussion has been closed.