Keto Casseroles

Options
Carnivor0us
Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
I've been 'victim' recently to carb creep - I've been working about 68 hours a week and haven't had the time to make lunch or dinner so I've been hitting up fast food places. I know that you can theoretically eat ketogenically at, say, Mcdonalds but I need to also save some money.

I do have time on Sundays to prepare food for the week so I'm wondering if anyone's got some tasty keto casserole recipes that I could bake, cut up, and freeze for meals that would be awesome if you could post that here. Thanks guys!

Replies

• rlengland2014
    rlengland2014 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    In for recipes, great idea!
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I cant remember where I got the idea from or exact marcos but try this one, suited to your taste and carb levels:

Bottom layer:
    1 medium spaghetti squash, cooked, scraped out, cooled
    1 whole egg
    Parmesan cheese
    Spices of your choice, Italian seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, etc
    Cook this at about 400F until just light brown

Top with ricotta cheese (mix some chopped ham in there if you want)
    Top that with a marinara meat sauce-add mushrooms, onion, spinach,etc if you want)
    Top with Mozzarella cheese.

Bake until cheese is melted and light brown.
  • Keto_T
    Options
  • Keto_T
    Options
    Pork roast- top with salsa, add a can of green chilies or chipotle peppers- cook in crock pot 4-6 hours on low, or until done.
    Add a brick of cream cheese before serving. Can also be done with boneless, skinless chicken breast.

Top with lettuce/spinach, tomato, sour cream, avocado, cheddar cheese, etc
  • Deborah105
    Deborah105 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I made one last week that was fantastic. It may even be one of Linda Sue's!

1 head cauliflower
    1 brick cream cheese
    1 handful shredded cheese
    1 pound browned sausage
    season as you like

You can use 1 pound of frozen cauliflower if you prefer.

Steam or boil your chunked up cauliflower until tender. Meanwhile brown that sausage. I usually use Italian sausage.

Place remaining ingredients in big mixing bowl. Stir until integrated. Add in cauliflower and sausage. Place in large casserole dish and bake 350 for around 30 minutes or until it is bubbly.

This is so cheesy and warm and lovely.

Another one is what we used to call Whooshy Pie - I forget why pie because it isn't pie. Heh!

1 lb browned hamberger
    1 brick cream cheese
    1 can Rotel
    season as you like

I usually do this right in a large covered skillet. Brown the burger then throw in the rest. Simmer until bubbly. Soooo good.
  • Keto_T
    Options
    Always easy breakfast casserole:

12 large eggs
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    salt and pepper to taste
    package of cooked bacon, crumbled (or package of Oscar Meyer bacon bits) and/or package of cooked, crumbled sausage
    Choice of shredded cheese to taste-swiss, cheddar, etc
    Veggies to taste: broccoli, spinach, cauliflower, onion, mushrooms, tomatoes, chilies, jalapenos, green peppers, etc

mix well, pour in 9x13 casserole dish...cook at 350 until done, about 40 minutes.

I get 8 large servings out of this.
  • Carnivor0us
    Options
    Thanks you guys!
  • 123_lac
    123_lac Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I eat low carb but did low carb high fat for a little bit. I used to steam some broccoli and or cauliflower, add bacon and bacon grease to it, melt some cheese on top, then add sour cream on top of that right before eating. It's so good. You won't even notice the bacon grease.
  • WellPickles
    WellPickles Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This is my go-to casserole. We can't decide if it is a pizza or lasagna dish:)

Bacon grease if we have any
    1 head cauliflower, chopped small
    1lb ground meat
    1tsp garlic pwdr
    1tsp onion pwdr
    1tsp Italian Seasoning
    8oz sliced mushrooms (Sometimes leave out if we don't want the extra carbs)
    1/2 green bell pepper
    1 cup marinara type sauce with no sugar added
    8-12 of shredded mozzarella
    Lots of pepperoni

Brown the meat with spices and bacon fat, then add meat to casserole dish. Use the fat in the pan to saute cauliflower, green pepper, and mushrooms until tender usually in batches. Dump into the dish and add marinara. stir well and top with a layer of cheese and pepperoni. Bake at 375 for about 25 min.

So yummy!
  • rubywanderlust
    Options
    I've just started experimenting with low carb/high fat, and find the recipes on cavemanketo.com to be very helpful.
  • tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I do have time on Sundays to prepare food for the week so I'm wondering if anyone's got some tasty keto casserole recipes that I could bake, cut up, and freeze for meals that would be awesome if you could post that here. Thanks guys!

Spent the weekend doing just this. :-)

Pepperoncini Pot Roast (crockpot)
    Take your pot roast cut of choice (I used a well marbled 7 bone-in) and brown well on all sides. Place in crockpot and cover with a medium to large jar of pepperoncinis and about half of the brine they come in. No other seasoning necessary. Cook on high for 6 hours or low for 8. It comes out tasting a bit like an Italian beef. I like to serve the meat and peppers with a dollop of cream cheese to offset the slight heat from the pepperoncinis. The meat and peppers can be portioned out into foil packets and frozen. Pop into toaster oven (or regular) to reheat for a quick meal.

Country Style Pork Ribs (slow cook in oven)
    Again, the more marbled the better for these. Place in large baking dish and season lightly w/ steak seasoning or blend of choice. Place three to four quartered yellow onions on and around ribs. Slice garlic cloves (as many or as few as you like...I use at least a half head) and place on ribs. Cover with foil and bake at 375 for 1 1/2-2 hours, until meat falls of the bone and can cut easily w/ a fork. Drain off all accumulated liquid (alot) and baste w/ low carb bbq sauce of choice (Stubbs has some decent choices...I think their Mopping Sauce is vinegar based and pretty low. Or there are plenty of homemade recipes on a Google search). Return to oven uncovered until sauce bakes in a bit, maybe 15 minutes. Serve ribs w/ chunks of onions and add'l sauce for dipping. This is another one that works well for the foil packet method mentioned above.

Cauliflower Pizza Crust (pre-made)
    I adore the cauliflower pizza crust when I want pizza, but they are a bit labor intensive and messy to make. I like to keep a stash of pre-made crusts in the freezer so I have a go-to when I'm tempted to hit the speed dial on my phone for Domino's. Several recipes can be found online. Suggestions: 1) "Rice" your cauliflower using a blender or food processor and cook the riced bits in a microwave steamer bag (Ziploc makes some). 2) Once cooked well, turn it out onto cheesecloth or clean dish towel over a bowl to drain off liquid. Once it's cool enough to handle, wrap the cheesecloth/towel tight and SQUEEZE until no more liquid comes out. This makes a huge difference in your end product. 3) Bake on parchment paper for a no-stick easy release from pan. Once all your crusts have cooked and cooled, wrap individually in plastic wrap (I double wrap) and then store all in a large freezer bag. When you are ready for pizza night, pop one out of the freezer and let thaw on the counter for 45 minutes or so, then top with whatever floats your boat. Pop in oven on a pizza stone for about 15-20 minutes and it's almost as easy as a regular frozen pizza or delivery would be! I make 6-8 crusts at a time and it's well worth the effort to have them on hand.

Fat Bombs
    These little gems can pass as a meal for me at times. I like the almond butter, coconut oil, butter, and cocoa version. I use DaVinci SF syrups to sweeten...the English Toffee one works REALLY well and adds great flavor. I portion into silicone ice cube trays, sprinkle w/ chopped pecans or whatever is on hand and freeze. Pop them out into a tupperware bowl and store in freezer for easy grab and go "tide you over" eats, or when you want a sweet fix.

Fauxtato Salad (keeps in fridge for about 4 days)
    Chopped cooked cauliflower, boiled eggs, diced onions, celery (if you want it) and toss in a dressing of mayo, mustard, and a dash of worcestershire. I usually eyeball the amounts, but I'd say 3 cups cauli, 3 eggs, 1/4-1/2 cup onion and celery...in a separate bowl about a cup of mayo, 1 TBSP of mustard, maybe a 1/2 TBSP worchestershire. Mix well and add to veggies and egg a little bit at a time until you get your desired consistency. Start by erring on the side of not enough...you can always add more.

Grocery store rotisserie chicken
    Lifesaver and better than most fast food choices. I like the ones that are already cut up. Eat a couple pieces day one for dinner, another couple day two for lunch, then divide and freeze the remaining (again, the foil packet thingie...that way they retain all the moistness when reheated).

The kitchen was very busy this weekend! lol It's just so much easier to have an arsenal in the freezer at my disposal...no excuses then, ya know?
  • Skoster1
    Skoster1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    You guys are awesome, you've given me so many good ideas in this thread!!

Thanks! :-)
  • Deborah105
    Deborah105 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Fauxtato Salad (keeps in fridge for about 4 days)
    Chopped cooked cauliflower, boiled eggs, diced onions, celery (if you want it) and toss in a dressing of mayo, mustard, and a dash of worcestershire. I usually eyeball the amounts, but I'd say 3 cups cauli, 3 eggs, 1/4-1/2 cup onion and celery...in a separate bowl about a cup of mayo, 1 TBSP of mustard, maybe a 1/2 TBSP worchestershire. Mix well and add to veggies and egg a little bit at a time until you get your desired consistency. Start by erring on the side of not enough...you can always add more.

Oh this one in particular sounds fantastic!
  • Carnivor0us
    Options
    Thanks again for all the GREAT ideas! :)
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    In for great recipes.
  • tru2one
    Options
    In for great recipes.

Check this thread on the Low Carber Daily Forum board...more ideas/recipes here: Workplace LCHF Lunches
  • tru2one
    Options
    Found this recipe through the main community boards. Leave out the brown rice, add some more cheese, and use a higher fat ground beef and it can be considered relatively Keto friendly:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/01/kalyns-stuffed-cabbage-casserole.html
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Tofu lasagna is very easy to make, and absolutely delicious.

Bake extra firm tofu strips in 350F oven for 15 minutes, or fry lightly on both sides after seasoning with garlic powder, salt, and pepper. In a casserole dish, spread thin layer of crushed tomatoes. Layer on here cooked tofu, ground beef, cauliflower chunks, seasoned ricotta cheese, crushed tomato, mozzarella. Repeat the process until the casserole dish is full. You can also toss mushrooms and zucchini strips in here for extra deliciousness.