Working Out

Options
Dschnei475
Dschnei475 Posts: 129 Member
So, I joined the gym about a month or so ago. I started going at least an hour 6 times a week. It felt so good. However, now that I am in my last few weeks of undergrad and internship along with my full time job I find myself having to pick between sleeping more than 4 hours or going to the gym. When I pick sleep I feel bad but when I pick gym I am tired as hell at work.

I typically work out for 1-2 hours before work ( with time after to run home shower and leave) .

When do you guys work out? what seems best for you .. Before or After work ?

Replies

• wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I workout in the morning after work. I just don't know that I could force myself to wake up and do it. I think it does help me sleep a little bit better?
  • mercurywinks
    mercurywinks Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I don't really have a solid "work out" routine. If I'm feeling fat, I get moving. I seem to do really well walking when I first wake up in the mornings. It motivates me to put down a lot of water and eat something healthy. I also feel like I just have a better out look on my day when I wake up that way.
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,227 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been working out on breaks at work. We have some pretty good equipment and they let me bring my trainer and put up my bicycle.
  • viperspice
    Options
    I also am not finding time to exercise. i start work at 10pm and am supposed to finish by 6am but never get cashed out until 1-2 hours later. Then i have the commute home (highway and bridge traffic). some days have a hard time keeping my eyes open to just get safely home. how do we fit in excercise when i hardly have time to eat? My free time is used to sleep for my next shift.
  • mercurywinks
    mercurywinks Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I also am not finding time to exercise. i start work at 10pm and am supposed to finish by 6am but never get cashed out until 1-2 hours later. Then i have the commute home (highway and bridge traffic). some days have a hard time keeping my eyes open to just get safely home. how do we fit in excercise when i hardly have time to eat? My free time is used to sleep for my next shift.

I totally get this, I to have trouble getting home on time when even the SLIGHTEST thing goes wrong with a client. I commute as well and several times I've debated pulling off at a truck stop or on the shoulder and napping lol. I started fitting in work out time in tiny ways, like if I was standing some where observing someone or listening to report I'd do little things like arch up on my toes and count to ten before going back down, and then when my clients were asleep on the unit, I'd do wall squats. It sucks that I can't block out specific times TO exorcise, but I figured every little bit counts.
  • BamBam1113
    BamBam1113 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky in that we are a big-city 911 center and we actually have our own gym. It's all hand me down equipment, but it's ours and we have a pretty good variety.

I was really good about working out on my lunch hour when I was on day shift. I have brought my clothes with me since I started on nights, but for some reason I just can't get the motivation to change and go work out. My brain just tells me it's not normal to be working out at 11pm. lol

Now, with the weather getting warmer I'll be getting outside for yard work on my days off and I guess I'll just have to use that as my "exercise."
  • Dschnei475
    Options
    I'm lucky in that we are a big-city 911 center and we actually have our own gym. It's all hand me down equipment, but it's ours and we have a pretty good variety.

I was really good about working out on my lunch hour when I was on day shift. I have brought my clothes with me since I started on nights, but for some reason I just can't get the motivation to change and go work out. My brain just tells me it's not normal to be working out at 11pm. lol

Now, with the weather getting warmer I'll be getting outside for yard work on my days off and I guess I'll just have to use that as my "exercise."

I work out right before work. My gym is 24/7. I figured as you did that it wasnt normal to work out that late ( for me its about 10pm) but to my surprise that is when all the body builder dudes come in haha. Tonight was an odd one with a 11 year old kid there with his dad... on a school night. Not the best decision ever. lol
  • Dschnei475
    Options
    I just signed up for a body transformation challenge that is 9 weeks. My health coach said i have to work out 2 times a day 4 times a week now. It is a PAIN IN MY *kitten*!!!.

I dont mind doing cardio and weights but I just wish I could do them all at once especially since my schedule is so hectic.
  • 20kb13
    20kb13 Posts: 161
    Options
    So glad I found this group & other people who find it hard to make the time to workout while on this shift. Everyone who is NOT on this shift normally tells me to treat my day like I would if I was on a normal shift... I don't think people really understand how hard this shift can be. I never get a full 8 hours of sleep (not even 6 hours) if I want to workout. I usually workout when I get home from work around 7am but that can be really difficult when I'm exhausted and can't fully put effort into my workout. If I go straight to sleep when I get home I sleep about 3 hours then try to get up and workout (once again too tired to put all the effort into it) and then I try to get things done around the house (or enjoy some of the nice weather) and if I'm lucky sleep a couple more hours before I have to wake up to start getting ready for work again.
  • 20kb13
    20kb13 Posts: 161
    Options
    I just signed up for a body transformation challenge that is 9 weeks. My health coach said i have to work out 2 times a day 4 times a week now. It is a PAIN IN MY *kitten*!!!.

I dont mind doing cardio and weights but I just wish I could do them all at once especially since my schedule is so hectic.

Wow I can't imagine trying to fit in 2 workouts a day with this schedule. Good luck with that and let us know how it works out for you. I'd love to fit in 2 workouts a day, but can't even figure out how to get 1 in every day yet.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options

Dschnei475 - Wow, two workouts a day. I have a hard time fitting in one. It's easier for me to fit in a three hour bike ride than to fit two workouts in. It's not the time for the work out. It's the time to get ready and then the time to get cleaned up and if you have to travel, the time to get from point A to point B. Hope you make it 9 weeks.

Dean
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    So glad I found this group & other people who find it hard to make the time to workout while on this shift. Everyone who is NOT on this shift normally tells me to treat my day like I would if I was on a normal shift... I don't think people really understand how hard this shift can be. I never get a full 8 hours of sleep (not even 6 hours) if I want to workout. I usually workout when I get home from work around 7am but that can be really difficult when I'm exhausted and can't fully put effort into my workout. If I go straight to sleep when I get home I sleep about 3 hours then try to get up and workout (once again too tired to put all the effort into it) and then I try to get things done around the house (or enjoy some of the nice weather) and if I'm lucky sleep a couple more hours before I have to wake up to start getting ready for work again.

20kb13 - I hear you on the being exhausted after work. I've had to put off workouts on occasion because I was so tired I was afraid I wouldn't be paying attention to my body and end up getting an injury. Lately I've been getting up at 1 PM and working out since the weather is warmer and I can get in a bike ride. During the winter, -10 degrees was too cold to exercise outside, well, except for XC skiing. :smile:

Dean
  • Dschnei475
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement guys !! This 9 weeks will hopefully be over soon lol. I agree that it's not the working out part that is the issue with time but just getting there and having to shower again. Hoping it will be worth it !