Can someone take a look at my figures .....

Utahgirl12
Utahgirl12 Posts: 172 Member
and see if I'm on the right track?

I'm 46, and 172 pounds and 5 foot 1. I'd like to get to in the 130's.

I've set myself up as sedentary and so my exercise figures come in automatically from Endomondo, and I try to eat most of them back.

My BMR works out as 1468.

My TDEE works out as 1762. Minus 20% = 1410......so I have set my daily cals at 1400, but this is below my BMR! This also shows as I will lose 0.6 pounds per week.

I have set my macros as 20% carbs, 30% protein and 50% fat.

I've only been doing the low carb thing a few days, but am not really having any problems staying under my carb intake.

Or....do I just do as Mark Sisson's suggest and just try and keep my daily carbs as under 100 to lose weight.

Also I''m from the Uk and don't understand all this subtracting fibre from the carbs bit. Is this different for British food?

Please help. I'm confusing myself!

Lucy

Replies

• ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Hi Lucy

In addition to the advice that you get here regarding your macros I would suggest that you consult with a registered dietitian or nutritionist. I feel that speaking with an expert was essential to my success.

Good luck!
  • Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    Don't worry about subtracting fiber, just eat "straight carbs".
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Or....do I just do as Mark Sisson's suggest and just try and keep my daily carbs as under 100 to lose weight.

Also I''m from the Uk and don't understand all this subtracting fibre from the carbs bit. Is this different for British food?
    Since I was the one mentioned the macro settings, I'll explain a little...

For me, 20% equals about 85g per day - which places it in the area of 'weight loss' (which is what I want). On a daily level I don't pay much attention to whether I hit 18% or 25% - if my carbs average out in the 50-100g range over a week, I'm fine. For the average paleo/primal dieter, 20% carbs will drop them somewhere in the 50-100g range; by the same token, non-dieters (who've got 1000 calories more per day to play with) 20% usually put them in the 100-150g range. Now, I'm talking about us everyday, semi-sedentary folks; all of you cross-trainers can make the adjustments needed.

Don't worry about subtracting fiber. The carbs recommendations made by Mark Sisson (which I'm basing my advice on) is for TOTAL carbs. While fiber is an 'indigestible carb' it is still a necessary component for nutrition and proper gut health. NET carbs (subtracting out the fiber) was something the 'no carb' camp (Atkins et al) came up with to make your carb intake SEEM lower.