Substitute for lunges?

Options
Mouse_Potato
Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
I did all of NROL4W and sucked it up. I just finished Basic Training II of NROL Supercharged and it's time to face facts - I cannot handle lunges. They hurt my feet so much! I don't want to stop the program, but I don't know of too many substitute exercises and lunges appear to be in every single stage (for good reason, I know). I can do Bulgarian Split Squats because there is no pressure on the toes of my back foot, but that's about it. Are there any other lunge-type exercise that don't require my toes to bend so much? If not, is it okay to just do BSS for every stage?

Replies

• acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    Have you tried bending your back foot the other way, sort of like a curtsy? I am of the belief that this is YOUR workout, so if you need to modify something to keep from harming yourself then you should do it.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Options
    Like a Bowler's Lunge? That's a good idea. I will add that to the rotation. Thanks!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Bulgarian Split Squat is a really great exercise, so you can't go wrong with it. You can also do variations with a TRX system. Stick your foot in one of the handles with it adjusted about knee high. I like to hold lighter dumbbells and move my arms in a "running man" motion for higher rep sets(they suggest this in Supercharged). You can get a really deep range of motion doing it this way.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Options
    Thanks! I don't think we have a TRX system at my gym, but I do like the BSS, so maybe I will just stick with them. They certainly never seem to get easier, especially with a dumbbell or two in my hands. I will have to read up on the running man thing. I'm in basic Training III right now, so it's 12 rep sets. Oh, how I loathe high rep sets!