Tips from Nutritionist

Options
Tamzy00
Tamzy00 Posts: 23 Member
Had my first consult with a nutritionist today. Had a nice long chat and got some helpful info I thought I'd pass along. Feel free to add other things you may have learned on your own that are not covered here.

* Potatoes, corn, white pasta, white bread, & white rice are simple carbs and can spike blood sugar. Might as well eat a candy bar! Avoid them except very occasionally.

* On the occasions when you consume sugar or simple carbs, eat a good amount of protein. Protein helps to stabilize metabolism and avoid sugar spike/crash.

*Red meats, while high in protein, are saturated fats. Eat only rarely, if at all. Instead get protein from lien white meat, beans, and nuts. All very high in protein while providing unsaturated fats and lots of healthy nutrients.

* Your boy rests during sleep, but as you become active after waking, it expects fuel. If it doesn't get it, it goes into starvation mode and begins storing reserves and fatty deposits. EAT BREAKFAST! Even a small breakfast can stave off starvation and boost metabolism.

* A lot of Fat Free or 0 calorie foods have little to no nutritional value. (Iceberg lettuce - No!) Even though it might help you lose weight, your body is still not getting all the nutrients it needs and is still "starving". Instead, opt for Low calorie or unsaturated fats that can still help you lose weight while remaining healthy.

And last but not least... DRINK WATER.... This one is hard for me. Thankfully with the invention of those handy little flavor packets, I am now able to drink much more water than I used to. They are kind of expensive, but if it helps me with this, its well worth it in my opinion.

Replies

• smilesback
    smilesback Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Love your post! I have never been to a nutritionist, and appreciate that you shared these ideas. I had to laugh about eat a candy bar instead of the list of carbs Love that!!!