Cardio vs Weight training?

Hey guys,

so I started working out again about one month ago. Since I have read tons of articles lately, that state that bodyweight exercise and weight training is much more effective than cardio - I have started with that. I do You Tube videos that usually revolve around squads, lunges, kickboxing, high knees, burpees, push ups, crunches etc. You get the idea. Basically HIIT with body weight exercises.

Now I have seen a difference in my body. My legs are firmer and the booty is a bit more on the perky side. However I have gained inches in my lower half. In my upper half I actually lost some inches. I used to be pretty even - not a "perfect" hourglass but close enough. Now I am not impressed with the fact, that exercise actually made me even more of a pear.

Has anyone else experienced that? Do you prefer normal cardio or do you believe what science are telling us - muscle mass is where it's at and natures answer for healthy weight loss? I'm grateful for all pointers because right now I am confused and am seriously contemplating quitting exercise all together… :sad:

Replies

• GSXRGIRL61
    GSXRGIRL61 Posts: 6,402 Member
    I think a happy medium is best. Take up running or work out on the elliptical, but keep up the weight training and full body exercises. Additionally, your body will probably go "back" to its usual shape, meaning that although your weight is coming off on top first, eventually, your body will even itself out. At least, that's what I've read and what I've observed for myself.
  • Isipeasy
    Isipeasy Posts: 5
    So you have experienced something similar? What kind of exercise do you do on a regular basis? I know that a lot of CrossFit-Ladys say that one should not worry because muscles elevate your overall calorie burn and eventually the fat on your legs will disappear. Leaving you with gorgeous, lean legs. However I start to doubt that: Mine definitely have more muscle but are also quite bulky.
    And you think I should add "traditional" cardio, too? Because my training sessions are quite cardiovascular, I'm certainly huffing and puffing. But obviously it's still quite different to jogging…
    Thanks in advance for your help! :)