Article about chronic pain and meditation

Options
lulukittie
lulukittie Posts: 340 Member
http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/04/treating-chronic-pain-with-meditation/284182/

I have to say that meditation and yoga have helped me immensely with chronic pain due to an SI joint injury. I'm also prone to anxiety and depression, and yoga helps in that arena as well. I'm just glad that the medical community is starting to recognize the benefits.

Replies

• yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting the article.
  • readthat
    readthat Posts: 136
    Options
    I hate to say, when I do yoga at home and not in a class, I do tend to skip the meditation part and rest at the end. I know it's good for me and I could really use it, but once I am done I want to start my day! I should get better with this considering I have pain going these days. Thanks for the article!
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting! I'm another one who tends to skip meditation when I practice at home. But maybe the meditation would help as much or more with my various aches and pains as the movement does. I know when I actually spare myself the time to do it, it's good for my brain.
  • readthat
    readthat Posts: 136
    Options
    Well I spent the time to read the whole article through, long read, but well worth it. Yep, I need to get some meditation back in my routine!
  • before0after
    Options
    call it what you want, but resting in that new space we have created is the gift (to me) I love the corpse pose :) I am married to a Shamanic healer who spends a great many hours in "meditations" of all kinds, and frankly that is not for me. I just simply try to be present to whatever I may have inside and check in from time to time. I feel more loving when I do that. Yoga has become my bridge to that centered part of me.