Stage 2 Questions

Options
charleigh78
charleigh78 Posts: 247 Member
I am printing my stage 2 pages and I am excited to begin. As I am reading through the plans, I wonder why intervals are with workout B when it seems to be the longer workout? Am I right with this? Has anyone switched the intervals to workout A?

I truly stink at deadlifting. I always feel like I am going to do something crazy to my back. Has anyone skipped the deadlift from the box? Is there an alternative to dead lifts?

Thanks

Replies

• Yanks1996
    Yanks1996 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I do my intervals in between lifting days. My legs just can't handle it after lifting and I don't usually have the time.

Since I don't have an Olympic bar I've been using dumbbells to do deadlifts. I don't do them from the box since the range of motion is already greater than lifting with the barbell. At least that's the way it feels to me, but I'm far from an expert and my form isn't great. I do a lot of warm up sets on the deadlift because I just don't seem to be getting it right.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I am not an expert, but it is my understanding that you should not be using your for back for deadlifts. You should be controlling the lift with your thighs and abs. If you have to lower your lift weight to maintain that control, so be it. As far as the intervals, I believe it is only to burn fat, so it doesn't really matter when or if you do it. From what I can tell from the book, it is extra, not really a part of the strength training. Having read lots and lots of posts, many people just do their regular cardio exercise on their off days and skip the intervals all together.
  • Yanks1996
    Options
    I agree. From what I've read, when done correctly, the deadlift won't affect your back at all. When I'm feeling good, I only feel it in my legs and glutes.
  • dpwdash
    dpwdash Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Couple of questions for Stage 2.

1. Do you do each exercise 4 times like 4 sets or is it 4 weeks? I am just misreading the book I think, but could some one please clarify.
    2. What is the Lateral Flexion suppose to do? I am following the instructions in the book but I am not "feeling" anything.

Thank you for your help.
  • Yanks1996
    Options
    1. It's four times for each workout. So working out three times a week, it'll only be about two and a half weeks.

2. It works your obliques. I usually feel it on one side but not the other. I try to lift my upper body pretty high in order to really feel it.
  • dpwdash
    dpwdash Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thank you, my gym buddy and I were very confused on the lateral that should help. How much time does it take you to complete the stage 2 workouts? Right now we have about an hour but we might need to increase that.
  • lavendy17
    lavendy17 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    While this discussion is still lively, do we do 2 sets of 10 throughout the entire stage or does it change to 3 sets of 8 like it did in stage 1 at some point?

I am really trying to use my abs and legs at deadlifts and I am sure I am positioned right with my feet and natural arch. I still get back pain. I also feel my back in other exercises like squats and push ups. Maybe it's just my muscles? Not sure. I am really trying to balance good form with progression. Very tough to find that sweet spot.
  • Yanks1996
    Options
    The workouts have taken me about an hour. That includes rests and warm up sets.

Hmmm, I'm not sure why you're feeling the moves in your back. I agree that it's hard to figure out when to add weight. I never know if I'm pushing myself hard enough. I find deadlifts very awkward, but I'm doing them with dumbbells. I do think my warm up sets are helping me to figure it out though. It's like any other sport. It takes time to develop muscle memory. Maybe warm up sets would help you too?
  • pedalynn
    pedalynn Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm 3 workouts into stage two. There's no where in the gym I can do that Prone Cuban thing. Any alternatives?
  • charleigh78
    Options
    I agree. From what I've read, when done correctly, the deadlift won't affect your back at all. When I'm feeling good, I only feel it in my legs and glutes.

I know that I shouldn't feel it in my back. I think I might be adding too much weight too fast? Maybe I will back down on the weight and see.
  • charleigh78
    Options
    Thank you, my gym buddy and I were very confused on the lateral that should help. How much time does it take you to complete the stage 2 workouts? Right now we have about an hour but we might need to increase that.

I took me 55 minutes today. That was with a warm up.
  • charleigh78
    Options
    The workouts have taken me about an hour. That includes rests and warm up sets.

Hmmm, I'm not sure why you're feeling the moves in your back. I agree that it's hard to figure out when to add weight. I never know if I'm pushing myself hard enough. I find deadlifts very awkward, but I'm doing them with dumbbells. I do think my warm up sets are helping me to figure it out though. It's like any other sport. It takes time to develop muscle memory. Maybe warm up sets would help you too?

My log sheet shows 2 sets of 10 the whole time.
  • charleigh78
    Options
    Just to make sure I am not missing something (my version is an ebook and sometime it is difficult to navigate), the step-ups are the same exercise as in stage 1, correct? I used a barbell today...so much better.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Yes, the steps ups are the same, though you can challenge yourself.
  • charleigh78
    Options
    Yes, the steps ups are the same, though you can challenge yourself.

I switched to a barbell for stage 2 and I can add more weight now. I have tiny hands and was limited with dumbbells. It makes doing them again in stage 2 like doing a whole new exercise :)
  • lavendy17
    lavendy17 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    For step ups, I found out our gym has boxes. I kept building a bench with the step equipment and had to drag a bunch of plastic steps all around the gym and then back.
    The box's height is perfect. It's so challenging for me that I had to go down in weights! But I finally feel myself work for it.