what are you wearing for shoes?

Options
Mercedespony
Mercedespony Posts: 162 Member
Hi ladies! I've just joined - I'm not doing 5x5, I was doing NR by myself, but am now doing a cross between heavier lifting with a PT and NR.

I've outrun my running shoes and am now at a point where I want to purchase 2 pair of shoes - 1 to keep running outside, and 1 for my training at the gym.

I've tried on the Five finger (dislike), the Nike Livestrong Free 4 and the New Balance Minimus.
I didn't get a chance to try on the Under Armour Radiate but they look interesting.

Can you share with me your favorite pair that you are training in?

thanks!

Replies

• LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    For lifting: Converse low tops

For running: I was just fit for Saucony Guide 7 (jury is still out of I like them). Before that I had Asics GT-3000s. Green super feet insoles in both. Before was Nike Pegasus 29. Before that was Adidas Glide 4.

I use my old Nikes for errands and walking.

As someone who has knee and ankle issues, I highly suggest you go and get fit at a running store. And only use your running shoes for running. A lot of running shoes have a drop between the heel and toe and/or a cushion in the heel. Those can affect your lifts.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Look into Inov Fastlift 315s. They're a hybrid weightlifting shoe. I have a dedicated pair of weightlifting shoes but wanted something with a little more "flex" for lunges and the occasional CrossFit WOD.

For everything else (running, etc.) I like Nike Frees
  • Mercedespony
    Options
    Thanks Lishie! I should have clarified-- I'm looking for advice on shoes to lift in/ train at the gym. How concerned do I need to be about the drop for lifting shoes? I'm only lifting about 165 DL, 150 squatting, and don't expect those numbers to increase swiftly.

I'm in Asics now for running, with orthotics. And I agree, my next pair of running shoes will be reserved for running only. I've probably over-extended the life of this current pair of Asics with the miles on them - I've been using them for everything. I was at the Running Room last weekend and I think I'll wind up with another pair of Asics there again (with my orthotics) for running, but I'm going to go again this coming week and try them one more time. I don't think I want to go minimalist for running yet.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Agree about the running store (not just a chain store that sells shoes). I got fitted for some Mizuno wave inspired shoes a month ago. Compared to what I had (some Nikes that were on sale), they are like heaven on my feet! I pronate enough where I need correction, but something like the Brooks ravenna shoes felt too much for me and the store employee said I didn't necessarily need that much correction.

As for lifting, I currently use the five fingers (you get used to them). But I'm currently working on pushing with my heels and not letting my knees cave during squats (thanks to my lovely pronation) so jury is still out if I will end up buying a pair of actual lifting shoes or buying something like chucks and throwing in some support to keep my arches from collapsing.

ETA: I've done some googling on the subject and Rippetoe offers some advice on what he likes. You probably need to look around and see what feels best. I think he mentions the drop, but don't remember his advice.
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group!

I wear Converse Chucks for lifting.
  • Mercedespony
    Options
    ^^ Thanks!

I'm like a kid in Candy Land, I had no idea this group existed and there are so many threads here I need to read!

I was going to go to bed early tonight but it looks like I'll be tucked in bed with my ipad reading instead. I'm not sure why, but there is Zero chitchat in the NR group.

Off to google Inov, Converse and Rippetoe. I think I'm going to love it here.
  • LishieFruit89
    Options
    If you go for Converse, check out Marshalls and TJ Maxx. Cheaper there. Wont find the classic black and white ones but if you dont care about color, you could walk away with 20-25$ chucks
  • CHSegl
    CHSegl Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Asics for walking and daily wear (LOVE them) and cheap pair of lifting shoes with utterly flat soles for workouts. They really DO make a difference at the higher weights. About the time I started sqatting 185, I noticed the "rock" that the Asics gave really upset the balance of the bar. Next purchase: Converse or Puma flat soled sneakers.
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of converse but my feet are curvy and they are too straight so at the moment I am lifting barefoot. I have to find some flat shoes that have a curved last if not for lifting at least for long boarding. I just got some vibrams but I a saving them for running at the moment. I am still getting used to them. If they work for running then they will just be for running.

CHfay your shoulder looks beautiful!
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I'm wearing a Polo version of Chucks--bought at Marshall's.
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I lift in bare feet or socks.
  • Neonbeige
    Neonbeige Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    welcome :-)

I also wear Converse Chucks
  • viglet
    viglet Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I lift in bare feet or socks.

Barefoot for me too. Socks scare me, I worry I will slip, which is an irrational thought because I lift on on carpet.
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Squat/Bench in Romaleos II or Inov8 Bare XF

Deadlift socks or Innov8 Bare XF's

Run/sprint Innov8 Bare XF's or football boots
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    For lifting I wear my Nike free 3.0. I really kinda messed up on buying them in a way cuz I had to get a size bigger which means they,re really not useful for anything BUT lifting xD Can't run in them (not enough padding anyway, I undepronate so barefoot running would have me break my pinky toes in no time). They're too long bot in the front and the back. But I love how flat they are for squat and deadlift stability.

I just bought a pair of Saucony Ride for running and they feel like clouds! It's awesome!

And I have a pair of Salomon walking shoes for everyday moving about, which are a little heavier and more multi-purpose but also very comfy.

Next time I upgrade lifting shoes i think I'm gonna look into some of those crossfit shoes, or vibrams. They look nice and comfy. If I can find one that has wide enough toe space >_<
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Converse Chucks for lifting. So much stability!
  • coltsgirl311
    coltsgirl311 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of Vans, just the normal black and white skate shoes, would those work similarly to the Chucks for lifting?
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm wearing Fila "running" sneakers when I go to the gym. For running, they're the worst but I like them in the gym.

I wear Saucony sneakers for everyday, and my running sneakers are New Balance!
  • LishieFruit89
    Options
    I have a pair of Vans, just the normal black and white skate shoes, would those work similarly to the Chucks for lifting?

One of my friends here has lifted in Vans.
    They're a pretty flat shoe, just like chucks so I'd go for it.
    Try sock footed/bare footed as well and see if you feel a difference in your squat/deadlift. Going in socks/barefoot would be really similar to chucks. The sole on a chuck in less than 0.25 inch thick.
    If I recall correctly, some Vans have a thicker sole
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    I lift in chucks, but I'm planning on getting a pair of the white Adipowers when they release in Juneish? I think my chucks have been breaking down though because lately I've been feeling my arches cave in which doesn't happen barefooted, and didn't used to happen when I wore them. So when I get to heavyish weights in my warm up I just take my shoes off. :laugh:

I've seen people use chucks, skateboard shoes, wrestling shoes, soccer shoes (like sambas, not cleats!), and driving shoes all effectively. The reason chucks are suggested so often is you can get them super cheaply. I got mine for like $17 at the outlet we have here.