what are you wearing for shoes?

Options

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I lift in converse as well. I went with these, mostly because I got them on clearance and half off, so only $11.

mix-SWWJ2Dmwhbs_lHNHMDQ.jpg
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    I lift in converse as well. I went with these, mostly because I got them on clearance and half off, so only $11.

mix-SWWJ2Dmwhbs_lHNHMDQ.jpg

Auddii wins the budget shopper's award.
  • coltsgirl311
    coltsgirl311 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of Vans, just the normal black and white skate shoes, would those work similarly to the Chucks for lifting?

One of my friends here has lifted in Vans.
    They're a pretty flat shoe, just like chucks so I'd go for it.
    Try sock footed/bare footed as well and see if you feel a difference in your squat/deadlift. Going in socks/barefoot would be really similar to chucks. The sole on a chuck in less than 0.25 inch thick.
    If I recall correctly, some Vans have a thicker sole

I'll have to look at mine more closely when I get home, but I think they are pretty flat and I will try them. Thanks!
  • llfretwell
    llfretwell Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I lift in bare feet or socks.

Barefeet for me too :)
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Didn't think of this!

For those of you who wear chucks, do you do cardio the same day & if so, do you change shoes?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Didn't think of this!

For those of you who wear chucks, do you do cardio the same day & if so, do you change shoes?

I bring 2 pairs of shoes on leg day. One for lifting and one for my running afterwards. I now wear Chucks for leg day and regular Nikes for running.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Didn't think of this!

I do cardio in my chucks,
    But my warm up is 10minutes and is on the arc trainer or upright bike.

I have brought my running shoes if I wanted to do treadmill intervals
  • TGDMJNoles
    TGDMJNoles Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I do cardio on lift days. I wear Chucks for lifting and then change to K-Swiss Tubes for my cardio.
  • CHSegl
    CHSegl Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of converse but my feet are curvy and they are too straight so at the moment I am lifting barefoot. I have to find some flat shoes that have a curved last if not for lifting at least for long boarding. I just got some vibrams but I a saving them for running at the moment. I am still getting used to them. If they work for running then they will just be for running.

CHfay your shoulder looks beautiful!

*blush* thanks!! Too embarrassed to show off anythn' else.
  • foxandnegayo
    foxandnegayo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was wearing Reebok Nano 2.0s, leftover from my Crossfit days. I recently switched to low top chucks and I like them better, without any good reason. :)
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    I need to try a pair then!!! Now, to find time to go shopping :) i have some birthday money leftover!
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    Also, my knees have been sore since starting lifting. Could my shoes be the problem? Or am I tight and need to stretch better? Or both?
  • LishieFruit89
    Options
    Also, my knees have been sore since starting lifting. Could my shoes be the problem? Or am I tight and need to stretch better? Or both?

Depends.

What have you been lifting in?
    What have you been doing cardio in?
    What is your cardio of choice?

Where does it hurt?
    All of the time?
    Just during SL5x5?
    Just during squats?
    Just during cardio?
  • jerilynconn
    Options

Depends.

Where does it hurt?
    All of the time?
    Just during SL5x5?
    Just during squats?
    Just during cardio?

I lift & row/bike in nikes.
    Usually hurts towards the end of the day. Not when i am lifting, though occasionally afterwards.not sure about cardio- i can't remember right now.

Thanks for your help :)
  • Mercedespony
    Mercedespony Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I think I've tried on every shoe in the last 4 days. :) I can't thank you all enough for offering your advice!

I've just ordered the New Balance Minimus to see how they feel lifting. And only because: (1) I couldn't find a pair of chuck's easily and (2) this whole minimalist running thing intrigues me, even tho I think it might hurt me like he double hockey sticks. Isn't it odd that they don't keep Chucks handy in the sport stores? Actually, I'm not sure these stores have kept up with what is going on out here in the gyms with women /lifting. Everything is geared towards running.

I'm going to keep looking for chucks, I can always move the minimus to running if I need to.

Sara this might not help your knees, but for my last 2 lifting sessions this week I've made time =10 minutes before to hit my legs with a foam roller and rolled everything out. Seemed to help me get a little lower without feeling like I was stretching myself.
  • LishieFruit89
    Options

Depends.

Where does it hurt?
    All of the time?
    Just during SL5x5?
    Just during squats?
    Just during cardio?

I lift & row/bike in nikes.
    Usually hurts towards the end of the day. Not when i am lifting, though occasionally afterwards.not sure about cardio- i can't remember right now.

Thanks for your help :)

The nikes I have, have a very soft heel.
    My Asics are tougher so the day I squatted in them it was like I had chucks on.

I suggest not lifting in your nikes.
    Make sure youre stretching enough.

What part of the knee hurts?
    Inside? Outside? Bottom?
  • LishieFruit89
    Options
    I think I've tried on every shoe in the last 4 days. :) I can't thank you all enough for offering your advice!

I've just ordered the New Balance Minimus to see how they feel lifting. And only because: (1) I couldn't find a pair of chuck's easily and (2) this whole minimalist running thing intrigues me, even tho I think it might hurt me like he double hockey sticks. Isn't it odd that they don't keep Chucks handy in the sport stores? Actually, I'm not sure these stores have kept up with what is going on out here in the gyms with women /lifting. Everything is geared towards running.

I'm going to keep looking for chucks, I can always move the minimus to running if I need to.

Sara this might not help your knees, but for my last 2 lifting sessions this week I've made time =10 minutes before to hit my legs with a foam roller and rolled everything out. Seemed to help me get a little lower without feeling like I was stretching myself.

Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Bobs Stores, DSW, Journeys, Footlocker, Famous Footwear, etc
    Payless for the knock offs.

Winners if you're in Canada.
  • CarrieOntheRun
    CarrieOntheRun Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I wear Nike Air when i walk into the gym and do my warm ups and when i get up to 75% of my work weight, i go barefoot.
    Doing squats barefoot (especially when i get to max) really helps me notice my weaknesses (not digging in heels, knees caving in...) but once my squats are done i put my socks and shoes on cause i live in Canada and cement floors are pretty cold.:wink:
    I've only been doing this since Novembre so i'm a newbie but seriously? Don't buy expensive shoes, go barefoot if you want to feel the weight of the barbell on your shoulders while you teach it to kiss the grass under your *kitten*. :drinker:
  • LishieFruit89
    Options
    I wear Nike Air when i walk into the gym and do my warm ups and when i get up to 75% of my work weight, i go barefoot.
    Doing squats barefoot (especially when i get to max) really helps me notice my weaknesses (not digging in heels, knees caving in...) but once my squats are done i put my socks and shoes on cause i live in Canada and cement floors are pretty cold.:wink:
    I've only been doing this since Novembre so i'm a newbie but seriously? Don't buy expensive shoes, go barefoot if you want to feel the weight of the barbell on your shoulders while you teach it to kiss the grass under your *kitten*. :drinker:

Chucks are like 20$ at TJ Maxx (or Winners sice youre CDN).
    My Nike Pegasus were 90$.
  • CarrieOntheRun
    CarrieOntheRun Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've always liked the look of Chucks and would buy some in a New York minute but can't find any cheap ones around here for the time being, so will probably have to go barefoot, or maybe sell my car?
    Sorry, it's Friday and I'm having a helluva ball.