From NROLFW to 5x5

Options
whizzlers
whizzlers Posts: 101 Member
Hi all,

I have completed stage 1 of NOLFW and even though I enjoyed it, after a lot of reading and research, I have decided to move to 5x5 due to its simplicity.

I have just completed workout B, and I have found it to be so much easier to navigate around the gym and just to complete.

Has anyone else moved from NROLFW? How do you all find 5x5?

I really think I will enjoy it?

If nothing else, NROLFW has given me the confidence to be in the weights section and know what I am doing

xx

Replies

• charleigh78
    charleigh78 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I moved on to stage 2 and I really like it. I like it more than stage 1. I am glad that SL seems to be a good fit for you. I think as long as you are using a solid program, you can't go wrong.
  • Arydria
    Arydria Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting for the last 10 mos and had purchased NROL4W to get involved in an organized strength program. However, I found the program confusing because i didn't know where to start and Stage 1 bored me to tears.

My husband convinced me to try 5x5 with him 2 weeks ago, and I've had the best successes to date. My progress is good and I think it's going to work well.

I really wanted to like NROL4W, but I couldn't get into it.
  • whizzlers
    whizzlers Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I really enjoyed stage one - but it just looked to complicated after that.

I have just completed my third session of 5 x 5 and enjoy the simplicity, like I got with stage 1.

The book was invaluable and I think the programme is great for that. xx
  • phizzylizzy
    phizzylizzy Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Just to weigh in here, I completed the entire program for New Rules, and saw great success. I am now doing 5x5 after a few months off lifting and I LOVE how straightforward and still challenging it is. I might get bored eventually, but I'm only lifting once a week right now. I think both programs have value, but I think 5x5 allows for bigger strength gains because you are consistent on the exercises you are doing for more than a few weeks. Just my two cents. :)
  • lavendy17
    lavendy17 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I am in stage 2 and I have this feeling like 4 times is not enough to see gains, especially if you get it wrong or start too low. I decided to finish NROLFW because I think I won't really know until I'm done, but probably will move to strong lifts eventually.

Right now, I see some shoulder definition but other than that I gained a lot of weight and all my pants are too tight. :\