Hirsutism

Options
2»

Replies

• kshaw5501
    kshaw5501 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I had laser hair removal done about 10 years ago and it worked quite well the first couple of years, but I couldn't afford at the time to keep up with the maintenance every 6 months since we were also trying to have a baby and spending a ton of money of fertility meds and IUI's. I was pleased with the inital results, but the hair slowly came back, but not everywhere I had it before, so I guess that's a plus. I then tried Spironolatone, but I was sick and my heart would race all the time, so I was put on Xanax for anxiety only to find out that one of the side effects of Spiro is feelings of anxiety/heart. Stopped that treatment, went on Ocello (Yaz) birth control pill along with using the Vaniqua cream 2x a day. The Vaniqa worked just like the instructions stated, visibly less hair growth in 24 weeks. Exactly 24 weeks after I started using it I had way less hair. I still have daily maintenance, but it takes no more than 5 minutes to pluck a few strays here and there. Once a month I do get my upper lip waxed when I get my eyebrows done. My upper lip is the only place that seems to not take to the cream or BCP, but I'm ok with that. I not longer have to shave/wax my whole face and my acne is gone. I haven't had a pimple since Sept. 2011. My insurance did not cover the cost of the Vaniqa, so I spend $130 on a tube that's for a 30 day supply, but it lasts me 6 months since my hair has decreased so much I can now use less at a time. Good luck and I hope you are able to try some of the suggestions on this thread and get some relief. I know what a pain in the butt it is to have to deal with this along with all the other PCOS issues.
  • kbshannon
    kbshannon Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Vaniqa has been out long enough that I would think that they would have a generic equivalent, yes? This hair thing is a PITA.
  • kshaw5501
    kshaw5501 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Vaniqa has been out long enough that I would think that they would have a generic equivalent, yes? This hair thing is a PITA.

Really, they do need a generic because it's super expensive with insurance not covering any part of it. It's because it's consider a cosmetic or vanity medicine, so not a necessity, but a leisure item is how my insurance company put it.
  • dragonfly123321
    dragonfly123321 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I just pluck it it is so annoying I have a strong magnifying mirror to make sure I get everything and just do it every few days....its a pain ( just get it on my chin )