Hello Everyone, I'm new here!

Hi everyone. My name is Jenn. I work out and eat healthy. Sadly, I do not lose weight. I would ideally like to lose about 20 pounds, although according to the BMI calculator I need to lose about 35. Recently a good friend told me about the results they had using a combo of ITFYM and following a Ketogenic diet. I tried researching both but couldn't find any info that was not super confusing. I would really appreciate any information regarding either. Thanks!

Here are my stats:

32 years old
Female
184 lbs
5'6"
active lifestyle (running, OCRs, weight lifting, Zumba)

Jenn

Replies

• Hi Jenn I myself am new here as well and hopefully I can shed some light on Ketosis for you... Or at least simplify. Ketosis means that the body has gone from using carbohydrates as it's source of fuel to fats almost exclusively. More involved definition is that your liver produces glycogen from carbohydrates as a quick source of energy. When there isn't even carbs in the blood stream to refill glycogen levels in the liver, it begins to break down fats into ketone bodies and it releases them into the bloodstream for energy instead. This is called ketosis.

When you eat carbs, the body uses them for fuel and coverts the rest into fat using insulin. This means carbs aren't really stored in the body except for those stored in the liver as glycogen. If you deplete all the carbs in your system and you don't replenish them, the body is forced to use fat your ingesting and fat stores in your body for fuel. Hence the speedy weight loss.

Honestly my best success is with following a low carb lifestyle. Carbs pile on me and keep me satisfied for a short period of time. Problem is you need to make any change a permanent lifestyle one to a large extent. I find anywhere from 20-50 carbs a day, no sugar or sweeteners can get me into Ketosis usually after two to three days. You will experience withdrawal flulike symptoms but once those subside a miracle happens. No cravings, no hunger and more energy!

This time I am approaching it with a better mindset, I'm eating healthy carbs, anything that grows above the ground basically. Lots of lean proteins but also not so lean sometimes but because fat is key, I'm dabbing my broccoli in butter, baking my fish or chicken with a layer of mayo and Parmesan cheese. Eating a tablespoon of coconut oil a day... That kind of stuff. Also drinking lots and lots of water... Can't stress this enough, very important. Pee should be clear. And a supplement doesn't hurt but personally I take liquid clorapyhil for the extra green energy my body may be lacking.

I started march 24th and am down 8 lbs total and I feel great and don't feel deprived. I have come to realize that you have to find a way to weight loss that works best for you and it must be something you can continue to do for the rest of your life with of course the occasional cheats. lol. I've been able to identify that I looked at food as comfort, entertainment, joy, etc when it should simply be fuel.

Anyhow sorry for the ramble and good luck on your weight loss better health journey!