Day 4 - April 4

Options
ErinMcMom
ErinMcMom Posts: 228 Member
I thought I'd get this thread started early since I started a day in advance (just had to have that Monday start!) :)

Made it through day 4 of the shred this evening. Still can't do the push ups or bicycle crunches but I'm finding all the other moves much easier now, especially the cardio sets.
I've bumped up my weights from 2.5 lbs to 5 lbs on all of the moves (except for the dreaded side lunge/arm lift) because I've yet to hear a complaint from my arms.
My legs are definitely feeling it, the front of my thighs at the top (I think she calls them quadriceps or something). It hurts to sit down and get up, but it's a good hurt because I know things are working! :)

Replies

• supermaninprogress
    supermaninprogress Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to wish those in this group well! I started the 30 DS with my wife on march 1. She wanted to try this program together. At my heaviest I weighed 305 lbs. But I needed the exercise and I wanted to support her. So we bought the DVD. I actually found a march support group and joined here on mfp. But that group mod removed me from the group because I am a male. How discouraging! Turned out well though. I found another group who allowed me to join and thank goodness they did! Several times I wanted to quit. It was too hard, I didn't have time, my body hurt, I didn't see immediate results, etc. My wife actually did quit right after the start of level two. But I didn't want to be the reason she gave up, so I kept going. Because of my weight it was so hard at the beginning. Those jumping jacks felt like they were destroying my knees! I could barely do half. And pushups? Ha! Barely able to do the ones on my knees. Because of tweaking my knee and shoulder I did have a total of four rest days during the program. But I did not plan on those. However, I was able to give much more effort after a rest day, so felt like some of those were worth it. I officially completed tonight. As of day 30 I could do all the jumping jacks(and tried to squeeze in a couple extra). I can do all the pushups from my feet(barely)! And my knees feel a thousand times better! Ive lost almost 15 lbs. During this past month. Sometimes the scale was slow to move but my body was changing. My stomach is flatter. My abs are peeking through. My arms toned up quite a bit. The scale may not show it but my clothes do, they fit much better. All in all, I am so grateful for finding a group who supported me and allowed me to show support as well. The past month was super hard, but now I'm on the other side seeing the benefits of my effort. So to those of you just starting out, keep posting! Keep supporting each other! And in no time you will be celebrating your success stories!
  • WordWhimsy
    WordWhimsy Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Today was really hard to get out of bed, but I managed and am sooo happy it's DONE! I really wanted a sleep in day, but later today we have plans and I know that I wouldn't be able to fit it in later.

Good news, the jumping jacks are so much easier now! I have no problem with them. I have started looking in the mirror instead of directly at the tv. How my workout room is set up, the tv is on one side and a large mirror is on the other. So if I watch myself and my form in the mirror, I can see the tv in the mirror. It makes it really easy to compare how I'm doing to the tv screen, plus it gives me motivation to keep going. I felt like I looked ok until I started watching myself workout, too many giggly bits! Gotta give up the fried food for a while.

I also moved up from 3# weight to 5# weights, even for the dreaded side lunges/front raise. It still really kills, but I know if I start now, I'll feel better by day 10.

Keep it up! I'm really proud I made it waking up early 4 mornings this week.
  • kducky22
    kducky22 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    WOW Supermaninprogress! Thanks for the success story! And that's total BS they kicked you out cause you're a guy.. :grumble:

I just finished day 5 this morning (I too started on Monday). I usually do the workout at night, but I have plans this evening so I know I wouldn't do it. This weekend is going to be rough since that's usually where I'll fail. I'll get lazy, or tired and just not workout. But I packed all my workout stuff so when I go to my bf's house it's all there and I have NO excuse.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!
  • dmfrank78
    dmfrank78 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you Supermaninprogress for the great post. It's nice to hear from someone who has completed the 30DS. It gives me hope that I will see a change if I keep at it.

It was hard for me, too, to get out of bed this morning but I did it and am glad I did. Got that workout out of the way and can go on with my day and not have to worry about it. I'm still not a fan of crawling out of bed at 4:30 a.m. but know it is worth it in the end.

Go Shredders! We can do it!!
  • sbicica
    sbicica Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I took a rest day yesterday... had to stay at work late, cook dinner, do four loads of laundry...wasn't up for it!! So today will be my day 6.

I was wondering if you all wear sneakers when you shred? I have always done it barefoot as it just feels more comfortable but saw someone post saying you should be wearing sneakers... what is everyone's take on this?
  • mamaleftwich
    mamaleftwich Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to wish those in this group well! I started the 30 DS with my wife on march 1. She wanted to try this program together. At my heaviest I weighed 305 lbs. But I needed the exercise and I wanted to support her. So we bought the DVD. I actually found a march support group and joined here on mfp. But that group mod removed me from the group because I am a male. How discouraging! Turned out well though. I found another group who allowed me to join and thank goodness they did! Several times I wanted to quit. It was too hard, I didn't have time, my body hurt, I didn't see immediate results, etc. My wife actually did quit right after the start of level two. But I didn't want to be the reason she gave up, so I kept going. Because of my weight it was so hard at the beginning. Those jumping jacks felt like they were destroying my knees! I could barely do half. And pushups? Ha! Barely able to do the ones on my knees. Because of tweaking my knee and shoulder I did have a total of four rest days during the program. But I did not plan on those. However, I was able to give much more effort after a rest day, so felt like some of those were worth it. I officially completed tonight. As of day 30 I could do all the jumping jacks(and tried to squeeze in a couple extra). I can do all the pushups from my feet(barely)! And my knees feel a thousand times better! Ive lost almost 15 lbs. During this past month. Sometimes the scale was slow to move but my body was changing. My stomach is flatter. My abs are peeking through. My arms toned up quite a bit. The scale may not show it but my clothes do, they fit much better. All in all, I am so grateful for finding a group who supported me and allowed me to show support as well. The past month was super hard, but now I'm on the other side seeing the benefits of my effort. So to those of you just starting out, keep posting! Keep supporting each other! And in no time you will be celebrating your success stories!

What a great story and thanks for sharing! Terrible that they didn't want you in the group....does it truly matter "who" is attempting to lose weight? We're here to support each other regardless....oh well...glad that you found another group that was supportive because that's what it's all about!!! Good for you!!!
  • mamaleftwich
    Options
    I took a rest day yesterday... had to stay at work late, cook dinner, do four loads of laundry...wasn't up for it!! So today will be my day 6.

I was wondering if you all wear sneakers when you shred? I have always done it barefoot as it just feels more comfortable but saw someone post saying you should be wearing sneakers... what is everyone's take on this?

Good Morning, when I started exercising at home two years ago, I would just have on socks but I realized that I didn't have the support for when I was jumping and running so I put on my tennis shoes and have been wearing them since. I personally think that you should wear shoes, but it's truly up to the individual.
  • mamaleftwich
    Options
    Good Morning everyone! Well, it was rough getting out of bed this morning to do my excercising but I did it! Today is day 15 of the 30 Day Shred Level 2! (I had started with Level 1 and completed it and moved on to Level 2 just as this group was being formed but I wanted to participate with the group anyway!) I'm half-way there! As the days go on, the "walking" push-ups are becoming bearable LOL. I keep saying it and saying it, this group is fabulous and it just wants to make you be accountable and almost as though you don't want to let yourself or others down by not completing what you've started!
  • danabm
    danabm Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Day 4 completed! I now am starting to hate the squat and press thing. Kills my arms. :ohwell: I sure hope that changes. I hope I can keep this up on the weekend. I typically let my workouts fall to the bottom of my least. I may double up Saturday and rest Sunday. Here is hoping! :drinker:
  • WordWhimsy
    WordWhimsy Posts: 254 Member
    Options

I personally would recommend sneakers, it helps so much. It helps your feet and knees and ankles. If you don't have the proper footwear, you could risk injury. My thoughts are better to be safe than sorry.
  • ErinMcMom
    ErinMcMom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Today was also the first day I turned the volume way down on the tv and blasted my fave tunes from the ipod dock instead. It was SO much more motivating and easier to get through the workout with a smile on my face!
  • Imperfect_Angel
    Imperfect_Angel Posts: 220 Member
    Options

This has just motivated me to keep going. I love reading success stories, they just prove that nothing is outwith reach. Well done for completing the 30 Days. It must have been hard when your wife quit coz U didn't have that support U started out with but 15lbs loss!!! Just WOW! Thank U for the inspiration xx
  • Imperfect_Angel
    Options
    I'm still to shred. I had to work in the morning then had to babysit until 4pm (Scotland) so can only shred much later in the evening, which I absolutely hate since evenings are reserved for TV & phone time hehehehe.

I also have a question about my weights....They are 2.5lbs each. Does that make them 5lb weights or.....????? The question is really silly but really, I can't make it out! ????
  • kducky22
    kducky22 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I also have a question about my weights....They are 2.5lbs each. Does that make them 5lb weights or.....????? The question is really silly but really, I can't make it out! ????

You would be using 2.5lb weights. People who say they are using 5lb weights are using 5lb in each hand.
  • chmosby
    chmosby Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Day 5 is in the books! Wasn't sore at all today when I got up. My arms and abs (they're under there somewhere) were feeling it today! Shaky arms and all. Love it!!! Lets hope I can stick with it this weekend too!
  • sweetu24
    sweetu24 Posts: 21
    Options
    Congratulations for you success.

Saw you post just at the correct time. I am doing 30 Day ripped but wanted to be a part of this group to keep myself motivated. I completed 2 weeks 30DR but didnt loose any weight till now. Also I am not seeing any difference in my body except it is sore like hell. I kept waking up last night because of the pain. I weighed myself in the morning and found that there is no change and I felt like it is of no use and thought of quitting. But then I read your story and now I am feeling like "I have to keep going".
  • Imperfect_Angel
    Options
    I won't lie, today's been absolutely murder! My thighs are much better but my shins!!!! Sweet baby Jesus!!! I feel like they'll just fall off any minute, I'm in pain. Anybody else feeling it in their shins too and what the heck are U doing to lessen the pain, especially during the butt kicks + jump rope?

Anyhow, Day 4 = ✅! I can officially declare today's workout as the worst, yet! I cried actual tears doing it! :(
  • Jade2240
    Jade2240 Posts: 162
    Options
    Good Morning everyone! Well, it was rough getting out of bed this morning to do my excercising but I did it! Today is day 15 of the 30 Day Shred Level 2! (I had started with Level 1 and completed it and moved on to Level 2 just as this group was being formed but I wanted to participate with the group anyway!) I'm half-way there! As the days go on, the "walking" push-ups are becoming bearable LOL. I keep saying it and saying it, this group is fabulous and it just wants to make you be accountable and almost as though you don't want to let yourself or others down by not completing what you've started!

wow you are 1\2 way done today!! congrats!! keep up the great work!
  • Jade2240
    Jade2240 Posts: 162
    Options
    Day 4 done :) Wasn't as sore today thank goodness, hoping by tomorrow it gets a little better as well. cant wait for day 5. Thank you all so much for being so motivating! This group helps me want to keep going and get to the end!
  • agent85
    agent85 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I won't lie, today's been absolutely murder! My thighs are much better but my shins!!!! Sweet baby Jesus!!! I feel like they'll just fall off any minute, I'm in pain. Anybody else feeling it in their shins too and what the heck are U doing to lessen the pain, especially during the butt kicks + jump rope?

Anyhow, Day 4 = ✅! I can officially declare today's workout as the worst, yet! I cried actual tears doing it! :(
    try stretching your legs before the workout. it helps me when im sore. and pain in the shins is the worst! i struggled with that for a while when i first started.